Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-15-2013, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Cemetery

Here is a cemetery I recently bid and won, starts July 1st, year round for 5 years.
This is a technique thread only, including equipment.
Current LCO is not using any 21" mowers, only 2 48" ZTR's and string trimmers.
I currently have a 60" Super Z, planning on getting a 48" X-One and 2 Honda HRX 21" mowers.
I think I can improve efficiency with the 21's because they are trimming those narrow channels that about the size of a 21".
These are just some of the cemetery, the old section has a lot of channels, raised grave plots etc...that can't be accessed with a ZTR.
The newer section looks easier to mow with a 60 but has sections between foot markers that are suited for a 21", not sure I got a pic of that.
Any guys with graveyard experience care to chime in on my plan or have recommendations?

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:22 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

48" hydro w/b with sulky. The riders are too heavy for that much turning in a little area. The 21" may work or may slow it down. I have found that I can weedwhip areas as fast as a 21" can get to it.

I mow a 12 acre cemetery.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 08:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Enjoy

Say my trimmers cuts 21'' wide a push mower is a time waster
efficiency you wont improve it Faster with trimmer if you have right trimmer. You trim down both sides not much left for a 21'' mower to cut. You will see after doing it few times
Old 06-15-2013, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Like I said, it's currently being done with 48" Bob-Cat procat zero turns.
And like you, I can whip large areas fast too but, hired help don't work like I do.
The cemetery is broken into about 23 sections with roads separating them, some of it you can see.
Some areas need a 21 more than others.
I was gonna use my 60 in the large areas and get a 36 walkbehind until I watched them mow it a few times.
Even with 12 years experience on walkbehinds, I can't come close to what they're doing on a 48 zero turn.

Feel free to post pics of the cemeteries you do and the equipment you use.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12

Last edited by Tharrell; 06-15-2013 at 09:05 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

What I have found is w/b's leave less to be trimmed. Also outs the driveover headstones are bumpy so the w/b weight is easier. With a rider its really bumpy. I own 4 60" ztr's, a 48" stand on, and a 48" w/b w/sulky. The 48" w/b is the quickest after you factor trimming time differences.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

All that concrete curbing calls for a stick edger for speed.

As to a line trimmer cutting just as wide as a 21" mower. String wears down fast. So will the width of the line trimmers cut narrow.

In a straight line a 21" mower will cut faster, neater, leveler then a line trimmer. Leaving a better looking lawn after it is mowed.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I may end up with a walkbehind and like I said, I was gonna get one until I saw how fast they did those sections with a Z.
I just can't see how a walkbehind can get closer than a Z?
Maybe you can explain it a little better?
Also, the crew leader on the current crew works like I do, swinging the trimmer etc...I know I'll have some training to do with my crew.
The other workers are just trimming what's at their feet.
I'm gonna try the 21's, may or may not save time.
I know, even with a 21 in those channels a trimmer will still be needed.
There's also some raised plots (12-18") that are as large as those segmented by granite borders.
It's all being string trimmed right now.
I'm after efficiency and a better look, it doesn't look so hot where they just trim it down.

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12

Last edited by Tharrell; 06-15-2013 at 09:43 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

The w/b wheel base/frame is shorter (so it can swing in and out easier). We can tell the difference between a vride and w/b and thats not much of a difference length. The weight will make a difference when going in and out also.

I would only try one 21" and compare to a trimmer. The question is does running around with a 21" and coming back with a trimmer (2 trips) make up for the one trip difference with a trimmer. Just walk the cemetery once, then double the time (or more). Will the 21" save that much time?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-15-2013, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I doubt the 21's will save much time (probably cost a little in my experience) but the finished product will certainly be much nicer. Good luck to you!
Old 06-15-2013, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I've only mowed one cemetery, helping a friend of mine for a couple of summers. It was a nightmare, with graves dating back to around 1800, but nothing as bad as the older section of this one.

I'm certainly not an expert, but I believe a 21 would be an asset. You don't give the dimensions of the pathways, but I'm guessing around 30 inches? Anyway, you might not save a tremendous amount of time, but it is going to look neater. If that is bermuda, not many people can trim bermuda without scalping, especially after doing it for a couple of hours, because fatigue is certainly going to be a factor when it hits 100 this summer. Two swipes with a 21, then fast walking trimming the inside of the curb looks to be the best way to go, but only trial and error will tell.

As for the newer portion, I'd just use the 60, and trim the sections between the stones. I can't see how any size mower would be more efficient for that. Good luck.