Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-06-2009, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyslawncare View Post
When I bid on a biweekly I charge more than a weekly!! HAHA! It works out. Most accounts sign to 35 cuts/ year - it takes a lot to take care of a property correctly.
Not sure where you were going with that but my few experiences with these properties excluding the national, commercial companies, I price them to a point that it shows as a cost savings or minimal cost for them to allow 7 day mowing versus 10 or 14. I can usually convert these people within a season. Ya I do agree it should not be Bi weekly but specs are specs, and the beautiful thing about owning a business is that if the property becomes that big of a pain I have the freedom to let it go!!
Old 12-06-2009, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwater View Post
And those reasons are?
the fact that it will look bad after cutting, be hard on the turf and allow for more issues with weeds, disease and the like. plus it will take longer and be harder on equipment, to do so would just make it cost more in the long run, and well, we refuse to do this kind of 2 week mowing thing, especially if it is supposed to be maintained and fertilized, are you kidding!!! i am sorry, but that is ridiculous to even think about doing all that work to only step backwards in the turf quality by not cutting often enough!!!!!!!!!!!!! you really had to ask!!
Old 12-06-2009, 05:24 PM
LawnSite Member

99% of my work is done on a weekly basis, Some started out bi-weekly. The accounts that I have dealt with on a bi- weekly basis typicaly do not consist of performance turf but rather some grass, a lot of clover and other vatiety of weed species.the properties are typicaly already shot. as far as hard on the equipment well I have two dedicated (older) scags which have never failed me and I only use them for these type properties. But yes fertilized turf I would probably steer clear of or price it accordingly after all it is their turf, their money and you know the business if you or I dont take it someone else will; so why not put the money in my own pocket and try to educate the customer in the meantime which is possible I have done it.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How about this.

HE is the CUSTOMER.

HE is looking for a service HE WANTS.

Someone wants his money. If you dont want it dont email him.
Old 12-06-2009, 05:32 PM
LawnSite Member

My man!!!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmlawn View Post
I am a Director for the Spring Fields II Home Owner's Association in Crownsville, MD and we are looking for bids/proposals for our HOA common area ground maintenance. This will include biweekly cuts, edging of mulch beds, fertilizer/weed applications, mulching, spring/summer annual plantings, and aerating and over seeding.

If you are interesting in meeting and providing a quote, please contact me at csmpez@yahoo.com

Thank you.
What is the point of fertilizing and doing weed control , you kill your grass by cutting to much in one time, rule of thumb never cut more then 3rd, on byweekly basis you butcher the grass which stresses it out and grass gets sick, dead and simply overtaken with weeds. I wonder what residents whould think what kind of agreement is being worked out. After all they all pay dues and that should cover more then weekly service. I am amazed how this guy gotten this webcite and instead of getting more knoweledgable about services he slaps lco"s in tha face. I bet there is a sucker who will bid regular price for weekly, but do it byweekly. Lol this is funniest thing I saw in lawnsite. Would love to see the lawn. Wonder why manager doesn't want to check file with previous bidders, call them and invite them to bid again. I bet he's got hundreds of companies that bid before yet he is still looking for a dummy.
Scott
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
How about this.

HE is the CUSTOMER.

HE is looking for a service HE WANTS.

Someone wants his money. If you dont want it dont email him.
I feel sorry for the guys on here who dont understand this. Especially the ones who say "no self respecting"......you guys are the reason this industry gets little respect in general. You most certainly can cut bi-weekly. You just have to grow the plant accordingly. It always amazes me when the most uneducated person in a given group is the one to stand up and speak the loudest!
Old 12-15-2009, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I hated and fought against the bi-weekly thing when I was in the business.

HOWEVER.

Though I would never admit it at the time......There were PLENTY of lawns that were just fine being cut every other week even in the peak growing season.

Heck....My yard at home.....Its grass....Crappy grass.

Before I hired a service I cut it every 2.5 weeks maybe. It grew less in that time than most of my lawns grew in 5 days.

I have a philosophy with my current customers.

If they are writing checks.....I want as many of those checks as possible.

Thats why I look at the services they get done....If I can hire someone or find a way to perform a service that another contractor is doing...I do it.

If they are paying somebody for something. Id rather them be paying me.

Hell.

If they wanted their grass cut once a MONTH.

I figure my costs. Add my profit. And Ill cut the dam thing once a month.
As long as I profit from it. Ill do it.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

the same clowns who think its ok to cut bi=weekly are the same guys 2 weeks into spring
wonder what the hell they got themselves into.
The calls start, the lawn looks like crapola and look whose truck trailer and name is mowing a pasture.

Some of us arent your average bears. 99.9% of the time the customer is wrong.
Thats why they hire consultants.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootoomootoo View Post
the same clowns who think its ok to cut bi=weekly are the same guys 2 weeks into spring
wonder what the hell they got themselves into.
The calls start, the lawn looks like crapola and look whose truck trailer and name is mowing a pasture.

Some of us arent your average bears. 99.9% of the time the customer is wrong.
Thats why they hire consultants.
The only thing you could do or say to look more foolish would be to post your real name and address along with your CC info..although I doubt you have one.