Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 12-16-2009, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
I hated and fought against the bi-weekly thing when I was in the business.

HOWEVER.

Though I would never admit it at the time......There were PLENTY of lawns that were just fine being cut every other week even in the peak growing season.

Heck....My yard at home.....Its grass....Crappy grass.

Before I hired a service I cut it every 2.5 weeks maybe. It grew less in that time than most of my lawns grew in 5 days.

I have a philosophy with my current customers.

If they are writing checks.....I want as many of those checks as possible.

Thats why I look at the services they get done....If I can hire someone or find a way to perform a service that another contractor is doing...I do it.

If they are paying somebody for something. Id rather them be paying me.

Hell.

If they wanted their grass cut once a MONTH.

I figure my costs. Add my profit. And Ill cut the dam thing once a month.
As long as I profit from it. Ill do it.
Men before I would
do that I would grow a beard wear a hat and get a fake Magnet to put on my companys name so my other customers and competition Would know it is my account
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2009, 12:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootoomootoo View Post
the same clowns who think its ok to cut bi=weekly are the same guys 2 weeks into spring
wonder what the hell they got themselves into.
The calls start, the lawn looks like crapola and look whose truck trailer and name is mowing a pasture.

Some of us arent your average bears. 99.9% of the time the customer is wrong.
Thats why they hire consultants.
Exactly I don't work at fastfood window taking orders I sell, my reputation is not something I can buy and business is something you run because it is your Bisiness , but some just care about the check, I d just hate to try to close 1st class account selling them best service they had ever had and see that customer 20 minutes later driving by your shiitwhole account with grass up to your neck. Great credebility. This guy is to lazy to call out of phonebook, you have to dial, wait, answer questions, maybe he is so well known that he ran out of lawn guys that would want to come(lol)
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-16-2009, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

How do you KNOW that it NEEDS to be cut weekly?
Old 12-17-2009, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROCUT1 View Post
How do you KNOW that it NEEDS to be cut weekly?
Any grass type you read up on will tell you aprx schedule, each crew I got mows at least 200 acres a week, I have been mowings my self for a while, so my opinion comes from more then guessing, if you read his request, he wants weed control and fertilization done too. If some one gets their account and trully delivers all services to the spec of a client want ,we both know biweekly is just not proper for grass and not fair for contractor. In fall once leafs start falling I can just imagine what turf will look like.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-17-2009, 08:02 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect touch landscapes View Post
Any grass type you read up on will tell you aprx schedule, each crew I got mows at least 200 acres a week, I have been mowings my self for a while, so my opinion comes from more then guessing, if you read his request, he wants weed control and fertilization done too. If some one gets their account and trully delivers all services to the spec of a client want ,we both know biweekly is just not proper for grass and not fair for contractor. In fall once leafs start falling I can just imagine what turf will look like.
Posted via Mobile Device
I cringe adding to yet another hijacked thread, but OMG are you wrong in regards to this discussion. You are basing your opinion on something other than GROWING grass and being able to develope a plan SPECIFIC to a givin situation. Just because they want fert doesnt mean they want a pound at a time. Your responses are very narrow minded. I am responding as someone who developes SOLUTIONS for customers while you are someone who demands that the customer accept what you offer.....no real biggie, just understand that we are not wrong. I've maintained some of the most high profile properties in the northeast over the years. ( world headquarters of some of the largest companies in the world and currently one of the most expensive homes in the US) I can assure you that a plan can be developed for ANY situation. You do things one way.....not the only way.
Old 12-17-2009, 08:49 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is to funny !!
Old 12-17-2009, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
I cringe adding to yet another hijacked thread, but OMG are you wrong in regards to this discussion. You are basing your opinion on something other than GROWING grass and being able to develope a plan SPECIFIC to a givin situation. Just because they want fert doesnt mean they want a pound at a time. Your responses are very narrow minded. I am responding as someone who developes SOLUTIONS for customers while you are someone who demands that the customer accept what you offer.....no real biggie, just understand that we are not wrong. I've maintained some of the most high profile properties in the northeast over the years. ( world headquarters of some of the largest companies in the world and currently one of the most expensive homes in the US) I can assure you that a plan can be developed for ANY situation. You do things one way.....not the only way.
Can you please share what package you would offer for this client, and what measures would you take not to hurt your business doing this account. What if you do bid on it and it is granted , you will hold it only for one season and get booted just like all other guys, because hoa tenants complained that you didn't perform as they expected ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2009, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect touch landscapes View Post
Can you please share what package you would offer for this client, and what measures would you take not to hurt your business doing this account. What if you do bid on it and it is granted , you will hold it only for one season and get booted just like all other guys, because hoa tenants complained that you didn't perform as they expected ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Thats for you to figure out..it's your business. I haven't a clue how you structure yourself. Those are the challenges of running any business. Maybe you are too small or maybe a job like that isnt right for you at this time. Any job can can be great or horrible for someone depending on where they are with their business at that moment.
Old 12-18-2009, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
Thats for you to figure out..it's your business. I haven't a clue how you structure yourself. Those are the challenges of running any business. Maybe you are too small or maybe a job like that isnt right for you at this time. Any job can can be great or horrible for someone depending on where they are with their business at that moment.
I am not in that state wouldn't even care to touch it with a 10 foot pole, accounts like that ate trouble and I asked you because you made it sound all sofisticated. Like you said I have a narrow mind thinking. In my world there is yes and there is no, black and white , so yes I do stick to my own rules. Someone who had to create I'd, login post and then respond to posts and I am talking about client is someone that is in my opinion fishy customer. But like you said you have a solutilion for every customer. I don't think he wants solutions, he wants your back, your insurance, worksmancomp, for the price of a lollypop. Someone who uses market to dingle infront of you like a carrot, is not someone I mess with.
Posted via Mobile Device