Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 09-30-2009, 07:12 AM
LawnSite Member

Floida Bahia help.

I live in central FL. i have a commerical account that has bahia in the front entrance. About 800 sq/ft. Over the last 3 months it's been thinning and filling with broadleaf weeds. I've seeded with 10 pounds of seeds and sprayed 2-4d herbicide with no luck at all. The owners want it thick and money isn't an issue for them. Any professional advice would be greatly appriciated, thanks.
Old 09-30-2009, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABeautifulCutAboveInc. View Post
I live in central FL. i have a commerical account that has bahia in the front entrance. About 800 sq/ft. Over the last 3 months it's been thinning and filling with broadleaf weeds. I've seeded with 10 pounds of seeds and sprayed 2-4d herbicide with no luck at all. The owners want it thick and money isn't an issue for them. Any professional advice would be greatly appriciated, thanks.
If money isnt an issue, tear it out and sod with St. Augustine. Bahia will never be "thick". Im not being a smart ass but that bahia (pasture and roadside grass) will never look as nice as they want it too. 800 sq ft you can tear and and sod for about $800
Old 09-30-2009, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If they are concerned about appearance then get rid of the Bahia for sure. In Florida I would think you would would go with Bermuda or St Aug. Here in Arkansas the St Aug would need irrigation to do well.
Old 09-30-2009, 05:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Cut

Bahia is the easiest turf to grow and does beautiful with out much help. From your question I can tell you are not Certified or licensed to be treating turf. My suggestion is to Stick to cutting grass and pulling weeds and hire a real professional that knows what they are doing to treat the Bahia.

Thinning Bahia could be Mole Crickets which are better treated in the late spring or the pH of the soil. I have personally found you can put too much fertilizer on Bahia. Cutting Bahia less than 4 inches also can cause it to thin. I have seen more Bahia lawns go bad because the Lawn Boy cuts (scalps) them too short.

BTW There is a Spell Checker build right into Lawnsite. I suggest you also learn how to use the spell check.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-30-2009, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks guys. The customer insisted on Bahia. I tried to get them to go with Zosia. They didn't want that. As for you Ric, about the spelling, I've been up half the night with our twins, infants. Check the time I started the thread smart guy. 4 inches? You don't know a damn thing about cutting grass. Just as I guess I don't know anything about treating lawns. I didn't ask for a smart ass comment. I asked for professional advice. At the time you posted your comment, you sure must not be that busy. 4 p.m. on Wednesday?
Old 09-30-2009, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks guys. The customer insisted on Bahia. I tried to get them to go with Zosia. They didn't want that. As for you Ric, about the spelling, I've been up half the night with our twins, infants. Check the time I started the thread smart guy. 4 inches? You don't know a damn thing about cutting grass. Just as I guess I don't know anything about treating lawns. I didn't ask for a smart ass comment. I asked for professional advice. At the time you posted your comment, you sure must not be that busy. 4 p.m. on Wednesday?
Cut

Since I am not a lawn boy I guess you don't think I know anything about cutting grass. But the University of Florida (which I graduated in Horticulture) does and they recommend cutting Bahia at 4 inches. BTW The "FLORIDA LAWN HANDBOOK" which is the Bible of Lawn Care in Florida also recommends Bahia be cut at 4 inches. May I now suggest that you check your facts before running your keyboard.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 09-30-2009, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I mow and am a certified applicator so I am not taking sides just my opinion from real life experience. I believe this manual says 4" but bahia is not going to cut or look very good at 4". Why are these people insisting on bahia if cost is not a concern?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:20 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've never understood why people like Bahia for a lawn anyway. It gets eliminated when I see it. I prefer my turf the way hippies prefer their weed...no sticks, stems or seeds!
Old 10-01-2009, 07:01 AM
LawnSite Member

Your right ArTurf. It does look terrible when you cut it high. No matter how sharp your blades are, it just knocks the blades down. It doesn't cut them. I have no idea why they want bahia, I tried to talk them out of it. It's a pasture grass, it's not designed to look like a manicured lawn. I personally don't like it either. Thank you for the replies. Since some of us "young, lawn boys" didn't have a wonderful blessing as to go to horticulture school, the smart ones make threads to learn. Ric, I can say one positive thing about seeing your post, is that I do like your sticker with obama.
Old 10-01-2009, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ric,

although I agree somewhat that with proper care you can have a decent looking bahia lawn. There is a reason why it is not used in high end residential areas........It's just too much of a pain in the azz to keep looking good, and usually never looks good enough for someone who wants a "beautiful lawn". Go with St. Aug, Zoysia, Bermuda instead of that crap bahia.