Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-03-2009, 02:15 PM
lawncaremn's Avatar
lawncaremn lawncaremn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Wayzata, Mn
Posts: 7
Velke on belt drive WB

Hi all, I'm planning to start a landscape outfit next spring but use mowing and clean ups as the backbone of getting started. I've been doing tons of research on equipment and techniques to make sure I'm making the right decisions (you guys on this forum are a wealth of knowledge and experience....I really appreciate you all taking time to advise and share thoughts). It's going to start out as a solo operation and to be most efficient (time wise as well as initial investment) I'm leaning towards buying a 48" belt drive toro wb as my main piece of equipment. I would really like to be able to use a velke but my toro dealer told me he didn't think a velke on a belt drive wb would work well for a guy my size (6'3", 240lb). He thought there would be belt slippage issues on anything but flat turf. Anybody out there have good/bad experiences with this combo. I know I could walk all day but figured this would improve efficiencies as well as take a load of my aging legs. How much time do velkes really save? Enough to justify the expense of upgrading to hydro? One last kinda related question. Most of the properties I will be targeting are in higher end neighborhoods (roughly 8-20k sq ft). I plan to strive for an extremely high quality job with alot of attention to detail. Is a 48" toro wb capable of delivering that? Also, do velkes leave very noticable lines in your stripes? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer and for all the other threads I've already learned so much from.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-03-2009, 02:51 PM
sdk1959 sdk1959 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Posts: 909
Here's two I find interesting.

Here's the link for 2 walk-behinds I find interesting. Sulky link too. They are 36" which may work out better for you for gates than the 48" but I know the Dek mower also comes in a 52' Both have floating decks which gives a superior cut to a fixed deck because the deck follows the contours of the yard. Good luck in your choice.


http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...9622_200389622

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...6970&langId=-1

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...34&marketID=34
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-03-2009, 03:30 PM
whoopassonthebluegrass's Avatar
whoopassonthebluegrass whoopassonthebluegrass is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Benson, UT
Posts: 4,056
You'll be fine. Even if you wear your belts down faster, it's worth the labor savings.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Toy2 Toy2 is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco, Texas
Posts: 1,926
toro

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoopassonthebluegrass View Post
You'll be fine. Even if you wear your belts down faster, it's worth the labor savings.
What he said ^^^^^^^^My Toro 36'' pulls me fine, I have a 2 wheel sulky and close to 200lb and shorter that you......the 36'' has a Kawi 13, and I have never had a problem....you'll be fine.....
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-03-2009, 03:37 PM
Kylec3's Avatar
Kylec3 Kylec3 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlantic County, NJ
Posts: 125
tried it...i found velkes to be a PIA on belt driven mowers (i am 6'1 170lbs)...used them for a couple seasons with my hyrdos but this season we took them off...after a while it bothers your knees with all the bouncing around ...also leaves extra tracks when u make your turns and all that...lawns look much better when you walk....i really would like to get a stander...but ....i havent yet ..because....wriight is prob the best machine but im not impressed with their cutting deck...they need to upgrade....i dont like the great danes...and toros grandstand cuts well but im not sure yet.....im still waiting on these to improve over the years
__________________
- 2007 - 3500 4x4 Chevy Silverado 12ft Dump
- 2001 - 2500 Silverado Pickup
- Scag, Bunton, Stihl, Tanaka, Redmax, Classen, Billy Goat, Lesco....
- Licensed Pesticide Applicator
- 8ft Boss Plow
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-03-2009, 04:22 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1959 View Post
Both have floating decks which gives a superior cut to a fixed deck because the deck follows the contours of the yard.
The deck on those mowers don't anymore follow the contour of a yard than a fixed deck. Just because a deck will move up and down doesn't mean it's floating. At a minimum you have to have antiscalp rollers set at the same height that you're cutting at. The ultimate is to have castors on the deck itself like this:



Neither of those Chinese mowers even have antiscalp rollers. If you want to see what a true floating deck looks like go look at the Lastec mowers.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC


Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-03-2009, 04:46 PM
traman's Avatar
traman traman is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: new port richey , florida
Posts: 712
i have an ex-mark 36 belt drive,am 265 and never had a problem running a sulky. mower is a 04 model and still have all original belts on it,approximately 500 to 600 hr. and i run in 5 gear 98% of the time ,with that being said ,working in the rain the sulky does have to come off.
__________________
2007 dodge hemi ram
6x13 enclosed trailer
2004 exmark lazerz hp52"23kohler
2004 exmark metro hp 36"15 kawasaki

echo srm 261 t
echo pas 230
edger,hedgetrimmer,brush cutter
echo srm 230 trimmer
echo pb 230 Ln blower
echo h c 150 hedge trimmer
echo pb 651 blower
echo pe 260 edger


an't that a kick in the head
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-03-2009, 04:56 PM
Kylec3's Avatar
Kylec3 Kylec3 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Atlantic County, NJ
Posts: 125
going in reverse (pulling back with a velke in the way is annoying!) hydro is way easier
__________________
- 2007 - 3500 4x4 Chevy Silverado 12ft Dump
- 2001 - 2500 Silverado Pickup
- Scag, Bunton, Stihl, Tanaka, Redmax, Classen, Billy Goat, Lesco....
- Licensed Pesticide Applicator
- 8ft Boss Plow
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-03-2009, 05:05 PM
delphied delphied is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Flint Michigan
Posts: 2,064
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncaremn View Post
Hi all, I'm planning to start a landscape outfit next spring but use mowing and clean ups as the backbone of getting started. I've been doing tons of research on equipment and techniques to make sure I'm making the right decisions (you guys on this forum are a wealth of knowledge and experience....I really appreciate you all taking time to advise and share thoughts). It's going to start out as a solo operation and to be most efficient (time wise as well as initial investment) I'm leaning towards buying a 48" belt drive toro wb as my main piece of equipment. I would really like to be able to use a velke but my toro dealer told me he didn't think a velke on a belt drive wb would work well for a guy my size (6'3", 240lb). He thought there would be belt slippage issues on anything but flat turf. Anybody out there have good/bad experiences with this combo. I know I could walk all day but figured this would improve efficiencies as well as take a load of my aging legs. How much time do velkes really save? Enough to justify the expense of upgrading to hydro? One last kinda related question. Most of the properties I will be targeting are in higher end neighborhoods (roughly 8-20k sq ft). I plan to strive for an extremely high quality job with alot of attention to detail. Is a 48" toro wb capable of delivering that? Also, do velkes leave very noticable lines in your stripes? Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer and for all the other threads I've already learned so much from.
I have a feeling you want to hear people tell you your idea will work. At best, it will work but it will never work well. The belt drives are light weight and so are hydros. This results in spinouts when pulling a sulky with a big person on it. I had a 48 TTHP (hydro) and I weigh 212. I used a Proslide after the 2 wheel Velke didnt cut it with me. The Proslide wasnt much better. I replaced that set up with a 48 Grandstand and could not be happier. I just came home from cutting wet lawns and they look great with little if any turf damage. It is faster and much easier to use than a hydro WB. By the time you buy a new WB and a good sulky, the cost is about the same as the Grandstand. The Wright standers are good as well but the turbo force deck of the Grandstand has impressed me more than my 66 Exmark for cut quality.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-03-2009, 07:01 PM
sdk1959 sdk1959 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Bensalem, Pennsylvania
Posts: 909
[QUOTE=Richard Martin;3213267]The deck on those mowers don't anymore follow the contour of a yard than a fixed deck. Just because a deck will move up and down doesn't mean it's floating.

True with rollers they would follow the contour of the lawn better, but even without gravity plays a role and they will cut better than a fixed deck. Also a major advantage is easy quick tool less height adjustment. A very nice feature to have for different cutting heights for different customers.

I sincerely doubt with Honda and Subaru engines and the selling prices of these 2 mowers they are cheap Chinese made mowers. Your thinking of Sutech mowers. They are Chinese made.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
toro wb , velke

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:40 PM.

Page generated in 0.11538 seconds with 7 queries