Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-03-2009, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the replies.

Delphied: Yes, I would like people to tell me my idea will work... But only if it actually will!! I think that's called wishful thinking. I would love to have a stander but cost wise it doesn't match up I can get a 17hp 48" fixed deck wb for 4500 and a velke for 500. Vs a grandstand or wright for 7k min. (all new) I also need the versitlity of a wb or ztr for cleanups; the standers, while they seem to be very efficient, are mowers and that's it. I have heard they both deliver excellent cut and I have toro and wright dealer in my area. Thanks again for the reply.
Old 10-03-2009, 09:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdk1959 View Post
I sincerely doubt with Honda and Subaru engines and the selling prices of these 2 mowers they are cheap Chinese made mowers. Your thinking of Sutech mowers. They are Chinese made.
DEK is a trademark of GXi International LTD. GXi has the exclusive rights to DEK branded equipment in North America from D&J Power Company LTD of China. In case you can't figure that out it means DEK mowers are imported from China.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawncaremn View Post
Thanks for all the replies.

Delphied: Yes, I would like people to tell me my idea will work... But only if it actually will!! I think that's called wishful thinking. I would love to have a stander but cost wise it doesn't match up I can get a 17hp 48" fixed deck wb for 4500 and a velke for 500. Vs a grandstand or wright for 7k min. (all new) I also need the versitlity of a wb or ztr for cleanups; the standers, while they seem to be very efficient, are mowers and that's it. I have heard they both deliver excellent cut and I have toro and wright dealer in my area. Thanks again for the reply.
How is a WB more versatile for cleanups?
Old 10-03-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

I have seen vac attachments at a few dealers that mount over the deck of a wb. Basically 2 garbage cans... I've heard this can get pretty dusty when it's dry though. I have not seen this as an option for the standers. I would assume a similar deal is feasible on the standers but have not found them anywhere. To be honest after reading through alot of the fall cleanup threads, it sounds like the blower, tarp and rake attack is quicker even though it may be more work. Believe me I'd love to be able to justify spending more on equipment. But starting off with 0 accounts I need to make sure my other job can hold me over as business builds but I feel that I need new equipment as unreliabilty is unacceptable.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

You sure are a tenderfoot at this. A side bagger is all you really need for what clean ups you get. I get few because I wont do them for peanuts and if you do them for peanuts, the vac system will be money poorly spent. Good luck on your new venture.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

DEK mowers- American Made.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
DEK is a trademark of GXi International LTD. GXi has the exclusive rights to DEK branded equipment in North America from D&J Power Company LTD of China. In case you can't figure that out it means DEK mowers are imported from China.

I beg to differ. From their website- "GXi is headquartered in Clayton, North Carolina, about 15 miles southeast of Raleigh. Product development, assembly, packaging, warehousing, distribution, parts and service capabilities are located in North Carolina and in California" from their website.

D&J Power Company LTD of China does not make mowers in China nor export mowers to the U.S.A. They make other products. See the links below.

http://www.dek-power.com/

http://www.dekpowerusa.com/index_files/About_GXi.htm

Now if you are talking about individual components made in China one can pick apart any piece of American made equipment and find them.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:11 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Now if you are talking about individual components made in China one can pick apart any piece of American made equipment and find them.
The huge bulk of those mowers is manufactured in China. Just like a Landscaper Pro or Red Hawk. Chinese mowers. Assembly by cheap labor in NC doesn't make them an American mower.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
The huge bulk of those mowers is manufactured in China. Just like a Landscaper Pro or Red Hawk. Chinese mowers. Assembly by cheap labor in NC doesn't make them an American mower.
Product development, assembly, packaging, warehousing, distribution, parts and service capabilities are located in North Carolina and in California" from their website.

Briggs & Stratton engines are now made in China but it still is an American designed engine. While their whole line may not be best engines out there the Vanguard & ELS series are rated highly.

At the top of GXi International, LLC webpage it states:

A fast paced, entrepreneurial "American company" based in Clayton, North Carolina.

Here's a statement from a reviewer of the DEK 36" WB mower-

"I bought this to replace a Toro that had problems and was happily surprised. Works great and is much easier to use since it is a hydro. Also $1000 cheaper than a Toro. Can't beat that."

To me this mower looks like a well made, well thought out and designed WB mower. With a reliable Honda engine to boot. Sears sells these mowers on thier website. If they were smart they would have one demo unit at their retail stores for LCO's to demo. They would sell a lot more of them.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Product development, assembly, packaging, warehousing, distribution, parts and service capabilities are located in North Carolina and in California" from their website.
And no where does it make mention of manufacturing. It says assembly. Do you know why it doesn't say manufacturing?

Old 10-04-2009, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

I see you guys arguing over belts and size , Spend the money on a walker mower and you will never look back on residential lawns. I see guys with 60" Lazers on 10min lawns thats not landscaping thats running for the barn.

Tags
toro wb , velke