Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-03-2009, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn Solutions WB Aerator update

O.K. I have put about 25 hours on this machine, so I thought I would post an update on the machine overall.

Those who have this machine know it does pull some good plugs in moist or dry soils. Just don't aerate when real wet or very dry.

On hills, the machine does have a tendancy to want to go down the hill when you are aerating. You really need to "steer" the machine. I have found it much easier just go up and down a hill. I just love the fact that you can aerate in reverse, and this is how I do most of my hills, by going forward and backward.

I am also starting to have a couple of problems with the machine.

1. The adjusting bolts on each side of the machine, well one snapped as I was tightning it. I do not torque these down so hard, but snug so as the bracket doesn't move. I have adjusted the coring depth several times in the month that I have had the machine, so I believe it was stressed or fatigued. These don't appear to be case hardend machine bolts that I can tell. I am the only one that uses this machine, so it is not being abused.

2. The throttle lever now has play in it so it doesn't stay in a set position. I have had to use a piece of cardboard to shim between the lever and the bracket to maintain a set positon. Here again, I adjust throttle speed often, so more "wear and tear" I guess. Briggs needs to do better than this.

3. As far as the front of the machine, can someone who has the front weight bar chime in on this.

I got to be brutally honest here Lawn Solutions, going down a driveway or hard surface, this thing is an accident waiting to happen. I have almost lost it a couple of times. The front wheels lose traction and the machine wants to free wheel. If the surface is wet or damp, you have to really put some effort to get it up these surfaces, not to mention trying not to slip yourself. In most cases, I just aerate my way back to the truck, but you can't always do that.

Does the weight bar solve this problem? Just my 2 cents here, but would bending the handle bar grips downward a little more, so as to have more of a curve help? I don't know, just throwing a thought out here.

The first two issues above just happened today. I did put in a call, and I am waiting to here back from them on Monday.

Anyone who has this machine, please chime in and leave some feedback.

Thanks
Jack
Old 10-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Sponsor

Issue 1: Get a new carrage bolt at any hardware store. They are a 3/8" Grade 5 bolt. It you crank too hard on them you can snap them off. Or we can send youu one.

Isuse 2: Throttle on engine can get bent if you pull on it the wrong way or hit it on something. You can put a zip tie on it for the short term. Briggs is awaire of the probloem and will replace the throttle free of charge. Just PM me with you contact info and I'll have a local dealer get the part so you can just stop by and have it put on under warranty while you wait. There is a new design on the throttle due out in Nov.

As for more weight on the front....the unit is designed to turn extremely easy while aerating. The trade off is you have to lift up on the handles when going uphills to get more traction on the front wheels. You can get the front weight, but it is designed to a 3rd rear weight to keep it balance the same as the unit currently it.

I have had customers order the front weight so it drives better to and from the aerating job, but once they get it they don't use it because the like how it drives while aerating better without the weight, or they get the 3rd rear weight like it was deisgned and do that.

Make sure to PM with your contact info and I can get a dealer to cover the warranty work on the engine.

David

David
Old 10-03-2009, 09:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

David,

Thanks for the quick reply. Trust me, I am not cranking hard on the bolt. The other 3 are good at this point. I may end up just replacing them all.

As far as the throttle lever is concerned, it just sounds like a poor design if Briggs is working on a fix.

Jack
Old 10-03-2009, 09:15 PM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by grass4gas View Post
David,

Thanks for the quick reply. Trust me, I am not cranking hard on the bolt. The other 3 are good at this point. I may end up just replacing them all.

As far as the throttle lever is concerned, it just sounds like a poor design if Briggs is working on a fix.

Jack
It was, and we pointed it out early on. They will replace it under warranty. If you give me your info: Model & Serial Number, Name, PHone, Address, etc..

I can get the paperwork started early and get the part at the dealer before you even show up so you don't have to wait for parts.

Let mek now.

By the way, how does the aerator do on hills compaired to any other aerator you have ever used. If you put more weight on the back it won't pull when going across hills but then again you think you might want more for driving on hard surfaces. It is a trade-off one over the other.

How many lawns are you doing a day? How is the fatigue factor?

When you call our office on Saturday or Sunday, hit the emergency option and leave a message. I assume you were the person who called it today and didn't leave a MSG. This goes driectly to my cell and I can only call you back if you leave a MSG. If you leave a MSG we normally will call you back in 5-10 minutes.

Thanks

David
Old 10-04-2009, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Overall i have been very pleased with the lawn solutions aerator. My only complaints are #1 gas tank is way to small, this is on briggs not lawn solutions. #2 saftey switch is junk, already had it rewired and it started shorting out again, needless to say its now disconnected. i plan to rectify these problems in house this winter, i will post pictures when done.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:02 PM
Sponsor

Lawnking

If I remember correctly, you purchased my personal demo (serials number 1) if it even has one. The unit never had a operator presence harness on it and we sent one to your dealer to install which is most likely the issue. It was never installed by Lawn Solutions and may be misrouted causing chaffing on the harness. I can look at it when I'm out there. Have never heard of a complaint on out kill swith design.

David
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-05-2009, 05:57 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks david but im all set. I have to change the safety switch anyway as i have small hands and my left hand starts to ache from holding the lever closed, As i said im very happy with the machine, Im going to add a larger gas tank and modify the safety switch in house this winter.Scott.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnSolutionsCP View Post
It was, and we pointed it out early on. They will replace it under warranty. If you give me your info: Model & Serial Number, Name, PHone, Address, etc..

I can get the paperwork started early and get the part at the dealer before you even show up so you don't have to wait for parts.

Let mek now.

By the way, how does the aerator do on hills compaired to any other aerator you have ever used. If you put more weight on the back it won't pull when going across hills but then again you think you might want more for driving on hard surfaces. It is a trade-off one over the other.

When you call our office on Saturday or Sunday, hit the emergency option and leave a message. I assume you were the person who called it today and didn't leave a MSG. This goes driectly to my cell and I can only call you back if you leave a MSG. If you leave a MSG we normally will call you back in 5-10 minutes.

Thanks

David
I was the one who called the emergency number, but it was not an emergency that required immediate assistance, that is why I did not leave a message. If someone picked up I would have been able to talk to them. Glad to know it rings directly to you. I've made a mental note of that.

Fatigue factor is not an issue. The machine is a joy to use compared to the ryan Lawnaire 4 that I still have, and have used for the last 12 years.

As far as hills go, I just thought that with 4 wheels the machine would be more stable on hills. Not that it is unstable, just didn't think it would take some effort to hold on a hill going east and west. I just aerate in reverse if need be.

I have aerated about 25 lawns with a total of maybe 100,000 square feet. I am only doing 4 or 5 a day, because I am doing a complete service as well on these lawns...fert, w/c, seeding, etc.

I did replace the bolts on the right side adjusting bracket. David this was not a quick fix, and definately not an in the field fix. This is what I had to do, so maybe I'm missing something.

1. Machine has to be raised up front and back so as to work.
2. Remove the row of coring tines on the right.
3. Remove the 2 bolts holding chain cover on.
4. You can only slide chain cover over about 1/2" at the most. Chain cover should drop down, but it doesn't. 2 reasons for this...welded sleeve that one of the chain cover bolts slide through prevents this from dropping down enough. Second is the cover does not clear one of the two small carriage bolts that hold the bracket for the transaxle. That had to be removed. You have to be somewhat of a contortionist to do this. Grinding a little off the edge of the cover will solve this problem. Am I making sense here?
5. After all that, you still have a hard time getting your hand up far enough to insert bolt with out using needle nose pliers or similar.

6. Reinstall all parts removed. I did not bother to do the left side, since at this time they are both fine. Hopefully I won't have a problem, and plan on replacing them in the winter.

Total time was about and hour and a half. The only other way I see to gain access is drop the aerators. Am I correct on this? There should be an easier way to fix this.

I did PM you yesterday, but I failed to give you the model and serial number. I will send that to you tommorrow.

Jack

By the way, it's great that you monitor this site all the time. I'm sure I can speak for others in saying that it is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by grass4gas; 10-05-2009 at 09:35 PM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Sponsor

We have never had one of these break even in the hands of the nations largest LCOs who seem to be able to break anything. It must have been a bad bolt.

Anyway, yet it isn't the easiest to get to. You can get to it by loosening the belt cover and then loosening the 6 bolts that hold the tines on next to the cover.

I'll confirm it later today and do one myself.

David
Old 10-06-2009, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnSolutionsCP View Post

Let mek now.

Thanks

David
PM sent.

Jack