Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2009, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Vermeer S600TX, Frustrating..........

So I thought I would post this here.

I currently just rented a Vermeer S600TX to work at a current job site.

If you want to check out the thread just click on White Gardens in the upper right.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php...&postcount=179

I've never really rented any thing that I have had more than a day or two.

So, here's the deal.

I rented the machine last Thurs. Immediately after running the machine I noticed the smell of radiator fluid. I just dismissed it as it was raining lightly and I figured it was moisture hitting the muffler. But I kept smelling it.

Checked it Friday morning and noticed that the stand on platform looked damp. I called the rep and said "hey, it's raining, I'm not really using the machine, do you want to send a mechanic." (there is also a loud belt squeal at max throttle).

He dismissed it, said it would be alright.

Today I'm moving bricks around that were on-site and needed cleaned up and noticed a puddle of rad-fluid on the platform.

I will say I'm not bashing my rep either, and I left a message (knowing it's Sunday morning) on his cell, and hopefully I might get a call back tonight.

Yes I'm ticked and ranting, but my question is, should I push for a discount on the rental for them not addressing the issue.

Thanks.

2005- Completion of University of Illinois Master Gardner's Program.
Old 10-04-2009, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Every time that I have rented euipment and it tear up, the rental company usually cuts me a deal on the rental.

Since its not your fault that the mini tore up and it cost you down time they better cut the rental price in half.
Old 10-04-2009, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks,

Anyone else ever been compensated in a situation like this.

Old 10-04-2009, 09:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, this type of thing happens to me half the time I rent. Just rented a grapple a couple weeks ago. I pointed out to the mechanic when I picked it up that one of the hose fittings was bent and was not long for this world. Sure enough, it broke after about a day of use. I called and worked it out with the store manager. If it's a good company, you shouldn't even have to raise your voice, just calmly explain your beef and if you have an idea of what you want, tell him. If not, just say "what do you think we could do to kinda work together on this?" and they'll know what you mean. In my case, I went and had a new fitting put on the hose myself for ten bucks, cause I had the time to do it. Then I got to keep the thing for a little over three days for about one and a half times a day's rental price. Win win, IMO.

Either way, they should definitely give you a break on price or extra time with the machine. You can ask for all your money back but that's not really win-win, the rental house has to feed their families, too.

Good luck.
Old 10-05-2009, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

If rented equipment breaks onsite we immediately call the rental company and get them to come out and fix it. Most of the time I get an extra day or two on the machine. I never leave without some sort of compensation for dealing with their broken equipment.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:26 AM
LawnSite Member

Before you rent a piece of equipment check it for defects and take a picture of it if you can. Rental places here can be perricks when it comes to stuff like that oh its your fault.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Great Replies guys, thanks.

I'm not expecting the whole rental for free, but would like to be compensated.

I was able to get a hold of the Vermeer Rep yesterday on a Sunday, so that made me feel better. We're actually meeting at 7:30 this morning. I said 6:00, but we both agreed that day-light savings time hasn't kicked in yet and it's pretty dark until 7:00.

I think that's what is bugging me is that I noticed it right off the bat when I first stood on the machine. That and it is a Vermeer Dealership that I rented from, so I originally was thinking that there would be better up-keep on their machine rather then from a general rental store.

Regardless, he said they would fix it right away or get me another machine. I'm not sure if they have another diesel available though, as I am needing the power to rip out the sidewalk. A Gasser might be O.K. though, but I wanted all the beef I could get out of a mini.

Thanks Again,

Old 10-05-2009, 11:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

" So, you weren't going to be able to use the machine today, right ? "

O.K.

So he showed up at 7:30 on the nose. Unfortunately they didn't have another s600tx in stock and the nearest one is in Moline IL. One of the reps is coming down from there this evening to go with my rep to the GIE expo in KY.

I asked him if I could get some sort of discount, and he said a day. Not too happy with that.

I could have done more work yesterday, today, and will lose a day in my schedule tomorrow because of the rain in the forecast.

I just told him I would settle my bill when I return the machine at the end of the project. I plan on pushing for more than a days discount.

Old 10-06-2009, 12:42 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I guess I don't understand. Suppose I would've just thrown coolant in the thing and kept going, settle up with them about the cost of the coolant when the machine came back. Always make a phone call and let them know of any equipment issues as soon as you are aware, puts the ball in their court. Most rental places, if they're worth their salt, will either fix it promptly or give you however much time you were down back in return. If they don't, not worth dealing with in the future. However, in this instance, I would've just thrown some coolant in it as needed and kept on going, not that big of a deal IMO.

Go hard, go fast, or go home

Last edited by Scag48; 10-06-2009 at 12:52 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scag48 View Post
I guess I don't understand. Suppose I would've just thrown coolant in the thing and kept going, settle up with them about the cost of the coolant when the machine came back. Always make a phone call and let them know of any equipment issues as soon as you are aware, puts the ball in their court. Most rental places, if they're worth their salt, will either fix it promptly or give you however much time you were down back in return. If they don't, not worth dealing with in the future. However, in this instance, I would've just thrown some coolant in it as needed and kept on going, not that big of a deal IMO.
It was leaky badly. Not just a little drip here and there. The radiator at idle was dancing and vibrating more than me on pay-day. So I knew it was cracked and cracked bad, and wasn't going to get any better.

I'm crafty, and make things work when I can, but I knew that I couldn't make this work. I would have given it an hour before it over-heated, and possible trashed the motor.

I will be getting more than a days discount, I'll make sure of that.