Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-04-2009, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Member

Advertising 2010

Tell me what you think of my upcoming years advertising plan.

Put out 2000 flyers with pictures and a hand written price by me. This isn't just your basic flyer with time new roman font and basic design. The design is meant to capture someones attention and finish a sale by giving special offers. I have run it by many people both in the green industry and even my College Marketing Professor (great free opinion and expertise). I can estimate by just looking at the front of the house and seeing into the back very closely what it will cost to mow. I have done this before and never had a problem. I figure people will like to see a price right in front of them and if they are interested they will call me. I'm expecting a 2% return on these flyers as they have pictures to document past work (showing I'm not just a lawn boy) and a price (so they don't need to make excuses that lawn care is too expensive for them) There will also be specials on the flyer to help drive the sale.

Continue my word of mouth advertising which has gotten me about half of my business.

Advertise free on Craigslist and set a limit how far I will go. I have extended myself too far before and don't want to do that. 7 miles from the shop should be good. This has worked well for me and surprisingly two of my best
accounts have come from it.

Anyone serious about helping or wanting to borrow the idea pm me or say on the thread you want me to pm it to you.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stearns,

I too did doorhangars this year. I received a less than 2% response. I did however get some nice customers out of it. The plus is you control your route. The minus for me was i walked 5.5 hours one Saturday in early March and received no responses from that effort. Signs didn't work for me either. My biggest payoff was advertising in the local paper. Not the big everyday paper but the small hometown once a week paper. Timing was crucial. The add needed to be there right before and during the first warm spell of the year. The responce...tremendous. I can control my area by saying no to those too far out of the way.

Tim

edit: My doorhangers had the price on them from $35-$80. I used a pen to check the box for the amount to be charged.I also gave a "good neighbor discount to those who had a neighbor two doors away or less who signed up also.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Did you use pictures on your door hangers? I believe that spending the extra on color pictures with your door hangers will drastically improve your response.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:36 PM
LawnSite Member

stearns, can you pm. I would like to see your flyers.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Member

I guess I can't PM until I make 10 posts so heres number three so I can get this thing going. Its in a file on my comp. If you send me a message on my wall with your email address I can send it to you if you don't mind.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Haha and just to be clear to everyone my pictures aren't hand drawn although that would be funny to see.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

newspaper add &phonebook add and where getting some caution tap with are name and number,mabe a yard sign or 2
craftsman 22 in with bagger
craftsman 42 in rider
BG55 Stihl Leaf Blower
Toro 21 Inch with Bagger
John Deere Z425 with mulch kit
john deer z425 54 in deck
BR600 Stihl Backpack
Stihl FS90 Trimmer With Brush cutter attatchment
Stihl FS-90Trimmer W/Edger attatchment
Stihl fs-90 Trimmer
crap load of hand tools
PA065297
www.dunlapslawncare.com
Old 10-04-2009, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

caution tape?
Old 10-04-2009, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Member

I forgot to mention my yard signs. Those have worked well to get my name out there and recognized not too many calls from them though. I also have a 3' by 5' metal sign on my trailer and 1.5' by 5' metal signs for the box on my truck. I also have the back of my truck lettered with my number. I was just mentioning my newer ideas but forgot to mention the stuff I had already done. I have t-shirts and sweatshirts made with hats on the way.
Old 10-04-2009, 08:55 PM
LawnSite Member

And where have you got this caution tape made/where do you put it? I can't see many places where my customer wouldn't be mad if I left it there after I mowed.