Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-17-2009, 06:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Went to the Hospital today

What a freak accident this was but it just shows you have to be careful all the time.

I was cleaning out the shop and grabbed a 1 gallon plastic jug down off a top shelf (been there 9-10 years). The jug burst due to deterioration over the years and gave me a chemical bath from head to tow. It was a super concentrated industrial aluminum cleaner! Had more acids in it then I can count. Here is the label so you can tell how nasty this stuff is http://webfiles.acuitysp.com/psr/psr_1063.PDF . So I spent 4 hours in the ER being bathed (Bad burning feeling in my crotch due to chemical all over my pants). The worst was a 45min eye irrigation, they put a huge rubber contact in my eye with a hose hooked to a I V and run 3 liters of water through it! It was awful and embarrassing due to the cold compresses that were needed in my "Special Area".

Point being BE CAREFUL! You would think considering the things we all do that the last place to get seriously injured is cleaning the shop. You just never know.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

that is a freak accident for sure.... and it targeted the worst 2 possible areas it could, your eyes and your crank!
Old 09-17-2009, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamChrap View Post
What a freak accident this was but it just shows you have to be careful all the time.

I was cleaning out the shop and grabbed a 1 gallon plastic jug down off a top shelf (been there 9-10 years). The jug burst due to deterioration over the years and gave me a chemical bath from head to tow. It was a super concentrated industrial aluminum cleaner! Had more acids in it then I can count. Here is the label so you can tell how nasty this stuff is http://webfiles.acuitysp.com/psr/psr_1063.PDF . So I spent 4 hours in the ER being bathed (Bad burning feeling in my crotch due to chemical all over my pants). The worst was a 45min eye irrigation, they put a huge rubber contact in my eye with a hose hooked to a I V and run 3 liters of water through it! It was awful and embarrassing due to the cold compresses that were needed in my "Special Area".

Point being BE CAREFUL! You would think considering the things we all do that the last place to get seriously injured is cleaning the shop. You just never know.
Wow, glad your better, get some pictures up will ya....
Old 09-17-2009, 06:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That is terrible. I hope there is no permanent damage. I've never heard of that happening before to a plastic bottle. The worst thing I have is muratic acid (nasty) and it's on the bottom shelf and staying there.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Off topic, Sorry about your dog Richard.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to be ok. Luckily I did the right thing and stripped down right away, took a shower with the garden hose. Ya the bottle just cracked in a ton of pieces when I grabbed on to it directly over my head. Still burned like hell for a few hours.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-17-2009, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like you dodged a bullet. Lawn/tree pesticides are "lame" in comparison cuz they are designed to be used around people, pets, and wildlife.

Truly sorry about Cricket -- I'm with ya buddy. Larry
Old 09-17-2009, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Acids are not usually stored in plastic b/c of their corrosive props. The strong ones should only be kept in glass bottles. I would have to think that quite a bit of the water that the acids were dissolved in must have evaporated and changed the acidity of the solution. That is the only that would have caused that you happen.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Grub
Old 09-17-2009, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Glad that you are okay. Thats a pretty bad situation to have acids all over you. Hope you have better luck from now on.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 09-17-2009, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Sounds like you dodged a bullet. Lawn/tree pesticides are "lame" in comparison cuz they are designed to be used around people, pets, and wildlife.
I feel like a dodged a bullet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grub32 View Post
Acids are not usually stored in plastic b/c of their corrosive props. The strong ones should only be kept in glass bottles. I would have to think that quite a bit of the water that the acids were dissolved in must have evaporated and changed the acidity of the solution. That is the only that would have caused that you happen.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck.

Grub
I think that is what happened. It had been up on that shelf for years and years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
Glad that you are okay. Thats a pretty bad situation to have acids all over you. Hope you have better luck from now on.

Thank you, ya when you are sitting in the ER and your privates feel like they are literally on fire and a tube in your eye it is indeed a bad situation!