Go Back   LawnSite.com™ - Lawn Care & Landscaping Business Forum, Discuss News & Reviews > Sponsor Forums - Discuss with Sponsors Directly > Lawn Mowing Equipment & Accessories * * * * SPONSOR FORUMS > Hustler Turf Equip
User Name
Password
Home Products Find a Dealer News About Us Contact Us Mark Forums Read

Hustler Turf Equip Lawn Mowers & Turf Care Equipment

Old 10-06-2009, 09:42 AM
LawnSite Member

2007 Fastrak 54" w/kawi

“While mowing this past Saturday, I noticed the left drive motor cutting out while trying to turn. It would simply stop half way through the turn. I limped back to the garage and lifted the seat to look at the drive motors. After I had let the engine idle down, I heard a noise behind the seat and in front of the engine. I narrowed it down to the left pulley wheel that the drive motor fan belt runs along. After more investigating I noticed the the fan that sits on top of the left drive motor was slightly angled. Has anyone had anything like this happen before and knows what's wrong? I'm loading her up after work today and going to the dealer to have them take a look. Still under warranty so I don't want to mess anything up.”
Old 10-06-2009, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It could be a pulley failure or the nut that holds it on.
I see you were going to take into your dealer last night, let us know what they did to take care of this.

Pj
Old 10-15-2009, 07:14 AM
LawnSite Member

2007 Fastrak 54" w/kawi

I heard back from my dealer this past Monday. It turns out it was the actual drive motor on the left side that had failed. I haven't had time to go pick it up yet, but I'm hoping that it drives like new.

Is there something that would have caused this motor failure? Or did I just get a bad motor from the get go? My hydro fluid has always been at the appropriate level. Not sure what else would have done it.

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

moboy82,
I have a 2008 mini z 52" with 19 hp Kaw. Not to highjack your post, but I'm looking for answers and my dealer is stumped. Before your hydro motor failed did you notice a pumping/ stuttering feeling on that left side. I have a bad stutter from the left side drive when going uphill at slow speed. The drive belt now has about 160 hours but the dealer said that it was in good shape along with the belts tension. Just asking if you can give me a play-by-play before yours failed to see if that might be in my future. Thanks, Chris
Old 10-16-2009, 07:26 AM
LawnSite Member

2007 Fastrak 54" w/kawi w/failed drive motor

Actually the first thing that I noticed on mine was an odd noise. I had been mowing for about 20 minutes and had to come back to the house to get something. When I idled down I noticed an unfamiliar noise coming from directly behind the seat on the left side. I discovered that this noise was coming from the left pulley wheel that the drive motor fan belt runs along. Shut it down and made sure the bolt holding the pulley wheel was tight, and it was.

At this point I was wondering if this noise I heard was new or if I was just being paranoid and it had been there all along. Looked over the belts, fan motors, etc and nothing looked out of the ordinary. I decided to go out and try mowing again, keeping an eye on the left side. Everything seemed fine until I would try and turn. The left motor would completely lose power about half way through the turn. The motor wouldn't work again until I pulled the drive lever back to center and eased into it. I limped back to my garage and lifted the seat forward so I could see the drive motors again. Looking directly down at the left motor, I could see that fan was not sitting straight on the motor. After seeing this, I knew I was done and I called my dealer. Besides these symptoms that I experienced right before the motor went out, I had no indications. It had been running like a dream, or so I thought......Hope this helps. Good luck with your Mini z.
Old 10-16-2009, 11:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Chris "Greenville", your unit has a different drive system than the unit in this discussion.

Pj