Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2009, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Website Hosting and Design

Would like to hear where you guys host your sites and what you used to design them. Im not a web designer, but have figured out how to create one by editing a template. I found that its cheaper to buy the domain through google apps and that gives you the email and everything. Since Google Sites is limited, I host mine on office live small business since you can edit more.

What did everyone use to create and where is the best place to host? If you paid for the design software or to host, please list the cost.
Old 10-10-2009, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I use Notepad++ which is a free source code editor.
And Filezilla for the FTP.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

As far as buying domains I have used about 5 or 6 different sources but the one I would rate the best is GoDaddy. They are about 10 bucks a year and most everyone I talk to rates them number one as the best place to buy domains. They also include E-Mail with the domain registration. The one I have used and like the least is Network Solutions.

As far as hosting I do have a couple of sites hosted with GoDaddy and have never had a bit of problem and their support has been great. I do hear a lot of the guys who work with hosting companies a lot say they don't like GoDaddy for hosting but all use them for domains. I use a number of different hosting companies but no one I would consider outstanding. Perhaps PowWeb might be my second choice of those I use. Mostly now I use MonteCarlo which is a small hosting company. I also use HostRocket and they are ok, SpunkyWorld who I don't like, and a few more.

As far as software, I started out with FrontPage which is phased out and currently mostly use DreamWeaver which is not cheap and has a bit of a learning curve. There are a few free WYSIWYG editors out there. Komposer is one and Coffee Cup which has a free version you can't do much with but is cheap and my hosting with PowWeb gives it to you free. Many of the hosting companies have a free editor of some sort that lets a newbie create his own site with ease. NotePad++ is another way to go but you need to know at least the basics of HTML and CCS which is not that hard. There are a lot of free templates out there which can let most guys come up with a decent looking site pretty easily.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I use godaddy to register the domain but I don't like it - their site is a mess but since I have so many registered through them I'm pretty much stuck. For hosting that's up to you - I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole or dick **** might start spewing all over the forums again.

For development I use eclipsePDT or vim with a custom vimrc that does alot of cool stuff. I use git versioning to keep track of changes and branch code quite a bit. For my server I run nginx+fast_cgi+apc, it's pretty awesome and I usually setup the domain mail with google apps like you do in order to get the email benefits.

I don't really use anything like wordpress or drupal, but a framework called symfony and python(django). When someone needs a simple site I have a custom CMS that i've built that lets me put it together from a completed design in like 30 minutes. I just built one tonight for like 500 bucks in like an hour - it had a few minor changes though so it took a bit longer than usual.

If you're just wanting something quick and easy, head over to themeforest.net and look through their site templates. If I have a client who has budget concerns I tell them to pick out a design over there and let me do the rest. Themeforest has some quality templates that aren't free but pretty close and will look better than what you'll get for less than a few grand with a local designer.

Craigslist is also a good place to look. If you already have your design, why waste 40 hours of your time putting it together when you can hire someone for 15 bucks an hour that can have it done in a couple of days. There are lots of skilled and hungry college students who browse CL but make sure they can do the work for you.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Don't go Google for any website services and products excluding the free email. Google is good for advertising and many other things, but you'd better spend having your own web hosting account. Try to find if you have any good web hosting providers around. If not go search for reviews when you need to find out if any web host is good or not.
Old 10-15-2009, 03:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I use namecheap, have used godaddy before, I switched only because namecheap was running a special... I liked both
Old 10-24-2009, 08:04 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
I'm not touching that with a 10 foot pole or dick **** might start spewing all over the forums again.
Good for you dude .... you learned how to play by the rules and not recommend over the top self-promoting services to a bunch of people who only need a handful of static pages.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:09 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

okay I will tell you what you really need.

If you only can design from template or WYSIWYG software. There is one company that stands above the rest.

I DO NOT WORK FOR THIS COMPANY OR GET PAID FOR ANT INDORSEMENTS!!!

Its called BlueVoda with VodaHost hosting.

Its not as cheap as godaddy or others, but it is very affordable. Purchase domain, $12.95 for year. Hosting per month, $10.95, a year for like $79.95.

You can build and design your site from a blank slate or from their templates. It is easy to use, works like most grapic/image programs.

You can do anything with this software. Build as elaborate site as you want or something simple, without knowing any coding.

The support and hosting service is unparalleled!! I have a few companies. I currently have 3 sites hosted by them and designed with their software, and its free!!

Check em out in my links below. The top link is my current site, the bottom link is a new service page I am getting ready to publish.

I do not know any coding, all done with BlueVoda. It is not the best site, but not bad. Its like a house, never finished.

My main concern is how it ranks!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have never tried that one but I do think your comment about it is never finished is one of the benefits of doing your own. You can make any changes you want, when ever you want and don't have to depend on someone else. Still lots of people either don't have the time or the ability.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Member

I get domains at name.com. the control panel is the best and professional domainers (dnjournal.com/domainsales.htm)

I use wordpress to make sites...another pro item.

hosting at hostgator
echo trimmers and blowers
lawnboy 20"
chevy silverado
16' trailer
2 employees
1 wife