Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-06-2009, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Member

pondless waterfall

water fall we just finished. not to happy with the flagstone falls but thats what the client wanted. enjoy
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2009, 12:27 AM
LawnSite Member

i agree the flagstone looks totally un-natural. other than that, looks nice and fairly natural. any lighting???
-cat 302.5
-dingo 425
-trailers and way to many employees
Old 10-07-2009, 09:05 AM
LawnSite Member

Lighting is next. Just pulled the demo last yesterday and waiting on the client.
Old 11-27-2009, 04:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Matt???? That you! Wow. Good to see you, man. Even if it is virtual. LOL. Guess I'll see you this week at the Expo probably.

It's funny because I read this whole thread and wasn't even paying attention to who the person posting was right up until the time I was just about to hit reply. I just assumed this was someone in some other state like 99.99% of the postings on lawnsite I read. Then I saw "Tigard OR" out of the corner of my eye and I was like, "Wait! No wonder that basalt rock looks so familar! And those nandinas and carex and such! I thought something looked a little too familiar about those photos!"

Anyway, nice work! Overall, that water feature is awesome. I'd be proud to put my name on that job. So yah, good stuff. But just for a little tiny bit of constructive criticism;

I don't understand the dry streambed going off the right side. That is distracting, I think. I wouldn't have done that.

I think most of the flagstone looks fine except the two at the bottom that are side by side. They look like they've been cut straight. I use flagstone as the "shelves" for most of our water features too. But I always find pieces of flagstone that have a natural straight side. Those look too perfectly straight. And the fact that they are side by side and look identical is a little too much symmetry for me. I'd have wanted to work on that section a little to make them look a tad more natural. Maybe one sticking out a tad more or maybe different angles on each one or something....

Minor details.

What are the little hosta looking things? I know you wouldn't put hostas in the sun. But are those Bergenia or something? I couldn't tell by the photo.

It would also look killer if you placed a weeping Japanese maple right over on the right side in that open space between the lower nandina and the big boulder that's at the bottom of the dry streambed. Lack of any ornamental trees is what's missing, I think.

Anyway, very nice! How many of these you guys do each year? Done before? How's biz overall?

www.lewislandscape.com - Portland Oregon Landscaping Company

landscape design Portland Oregon
Old 11-28-2009, 04:47 PM
LawnSite Member

jim thats my work All the plants were pulled from his property. You know when your installing somthing it looks good at the time and you want to make the owner happy. Then you take the pics and step back and look at it and then you find everything wrong as other people like yourself did. I'm not a flag stone guy but this what the owner wanted. I should have taken the time to make it more natural like the upper falls. Looks like the forum is pretty dead. work has been a roller coaster this year and now its time to tighten the belt for winter. Let get together some time and do some bsing