Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: do you offer your employees benefits.
no 10 47.62%
health insurance only 1 4.76%
health, and 401k 1 4.76%
health, 401k, vacation, etc. 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-06-2002, 08:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

do you offer your employees benefits?

so, here i am my 13th season with the same company. just wondering what percentage of you guys give your employees benefits.

supposedly i was to get health insurance sometime in the 2000 season, was told this during my review(review day is may 1st). well, he also gave me a raise in 2000 from $10 an hour, to $12 an hour, but no overtime anymore just a straight $12 an hour.

well now it is 2002, and still no health insurance.also, no review in 2001, or 2002. actually, the only benefit i get is the use of the gas card. which i pay back by payroll deduction a couple times a year.

between not getting health insurance, and no overtime, im starting to feel like im being used. my guys make the same as me once they hit 40 hours.(BTW, i the spring we average around 60-70 hours a week)

am i asking too much? i really wouldn't mind the overtime thing if i still received the $15 an hour ot i did before i got this raise. but the whole health insurance issue is driving me crazy.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's called being taken for granted.

Unfortunately the labor market isn't in your favor right now.

Paying an hourly worker straight time after 40 hours worked in a 168 hour period is not legal.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ohiolawnguy,

Here in MN you can receive discounted health insurance through the State. You need to make less than a certain amount. You may want to inquire around your States website to see if there is a similar program.

Good luck and be safe.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Our full time employees are offered health insurance,vacation,rain pay, and holiday pay. Seasonal employees are not included in any of these plans.
Old 05-06-2002, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Member

In Ohio, companies with sales of less than $250,000 per year are exempt from overtime. I would guess that the limit would vary from state to state so its best to find out.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

???
I thought OT was a federal law, not a state law.
Old 05-06-2002, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Kent - each state sets its own limit. The federal limit is $500,000 on OT, if you're state has a higher limit, you kick in at the federal level. If you're state has a lower level, you kick in at the state required level, like Ohio at $250,000.

We offer to any of our employees who choose it to have health insurance. Vision coverage is included at our cost, dental is the employees choice at their cost. We split 50/50 with any employee. We pay 100% for foreman - medical and vision. Dental is still up to them. We do not pay for family members, that is added on at the employees cost regardless of position.

Retirment, we currently have an IRA SIMPLE Plan. So if any employee wants the IRA then can have it, and we match accordingly. We also then offer financial counseling through our accountant or someone they would feel more comfortable with.

Benefits can come in many ways. Some people need a vehicle to get back and forth to work, some need certain time off, say gettting off early on certain days for the family, etc. Others may need debt counseling or marital counseling. We'll help them find a third party to help out. For those that travel, you can reimburse travel expense tax free up to I believe $1,000, or some formula with parking/gas..... hint hint hint. "Uniform" expense is another good benefit if you're looking to help the guys out.

Vacations, days off, sick days, year 'round employment - are all other benefits you can add into the equation. We give our foreman 1 week of vacation during the summer, and many programed days off during the winter that are paid. We take three days at Thanksgiving, Wed - Friday, the week between Christmas and New Years and then four day weeks in January and February. Granted it's not "two weeks vacation", but it all adds up to about 24 to 30 days off a year - from a 260 day work schedule (52 wks x 5 days).

Last edited by LawnLad; 05-06-2002 at 10:51 PM.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I never heard of exemptions for OT pay and I thought federal requirements ruled. No accountant or payroll service when I used one years ago has ever told that either.

I know that farms don't have to pay OT and wait staff at resteraunts have a lower minimum wage. I know season businesses can also do an alternative overtime method that is legal but I've not heard of it being widely used becasue it is complicated.
Old 05-07-2002, 07:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No OT ??
Hmmmm......
Old 05-07-2002, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

"Seasonal Business" is for some agriculture work, amusement parks and the such. The "season" that is defined is very short and does not apply to the Green Industry..

To the best of my knowledge in Ohio, just because someone is paid salary, doens't mean that they do not get paid overtime. After 40 hours, I believe you have to compensate them. The only time you can pay salary, I believe, is for a supervisory position - one that does not do more than 50% of the task/labor, or rather, 50% of their time must be spent supervising. With supervising being defined in many ways, including the right to hire and fire. Any one know for sure how this works?