Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-07-2009, 05:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

stolen truck trailer and equipment

my truck and trailer containing all my landscaping equipment was stolen in august. they broke out the window in the truck and hot wired it. they then proceed to drive it off in the middle of the night. the next day as i got ready to go to work i found the big surprise. later that night the truck was found burnt with all of the equipment gone out of the trailer and truck.
the biggest items were a snapper zero turn 50" mower, stihl br550 backpack blower, echo weed eater, lots of hand tools, irrigation fittings and supplies, the pocket bike i had in the bed of the truck and the side fairings from my motorcycle i was working on.
i think the fact that i am a full time fireman and do the landscaping on my days off helped in the situation. i know lots of people in this town who know a lot of people. i had a slot on the radio about the theft, the local helicopter pilots looking as they gave scenic tours, the ambulance drivers looking around the county,the pd(alot of help they were-HA!)a friend who has friends in low places-wink wink, etc. so i had alot of exposure over the situation.
the next day i found out from a friend, who's buddy owns a pawn shop in the area, that they tried to sell the stuff there. well they never came in but gave an address to where the mower was at so the pawn shop could look at it. i went to the location but-as i figured it- wasn't there. so the cops have the number of the person who called it in to sell it and everything! but as u guessed NOTHING was done about it. so i did some investigating of my own. i kept casing the location of where the mower was supposed to be located at---let me say i fine quality neighborhood. and come to find out there is a 84 red and white gmc with a trailer hitch and trailer parked near the residence. i ran into the owner and his trashy friends at walmart a couple of nights later. they all had the look of--hey ---thats the guy right there. looking over their shoulders, out the sides of their eyes. not guilty at all.
since another guy's mom on my crew is a manager at walmart we went there the next day to talk to her about the person. and and low and behold we run into him again. we have his mom meet us in the front of the store and point him out and they put him on the list of shoplifters. the NEXT day one of his friends gets caught shoplifting! o and i left out that i did a background check on him and all his family. here is a suprise--the WHOLE family has records! thefts, restraining orders, warrants, etc. obviously a classy group.
well needless to say i still don't have any of my equipment back-except the trailer-and had to pay to get it out of the impound from being towed. wow that whole sit. is a story in itself. but a little just was served to him a week ago. a friend of mine does repos. and guess who got their car reposed!!!!!! ha ha ha what goes around comes around.......

there is more to this story as well. if u would like to know , drop me a line.

chris
Old 10-07-2009, 06:41 PM

Sorry about your loss. But for the life of me I don't see why anyone would leave all their equipment in their truck and on their trailer all night. I see people do it around here too. Very tempting for thieves. Easy target and a big money pay off. Not easy to unload every day but everybody should do it and find a safe place to store equipment except out in the open!
Old 10-07-2009, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

stolen

i had to leave it out at night because we are renting right now and live at an apartment complex. i hated leaving it like that but had no other options--plus i never thought in a million years someone would take the truck and all.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

That happened around here a few years ago, the guy lost everything. I am not sure if they found the equipment or not. Thats why i am hesitant to get an enclosed trailer, but i still might part it inside of my shop. I guess then it would be mainly for looks and no purpose haha. Sorry though about getting your stuff stolen, i couldn't even imagine that happening.

Chris

1998 Chevy 3500 Hd 12 dump " The HD"
1982 Chevy K30 with dump bed- "Iron sides"
12 foot trailer
60in cut lazer, echo blower, Kawasaki trimmer
and all the fun stuff that goes with having a Landscape company!

BS Ornamental Horticulture
Fully Insured and ready to Rock'in Roll

"Grass pays the bills, but everything else brings profit"
Old 10-07-2009, 07:53 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Not all of us live deep in the ghetto. I never lock anything. Leave keys in the trucks ignition with the doors unlocked, equipment out, shop unlocked, house unlocked. We have no crime here. Never had anything stolen.

Had some gas borrowed once. They left $20 and a note on my door. Took a 5 gallon can. Brought the can back the next day, full.

Mein Fuhrer, I can walk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
Once upon a time, there was a lonely oxygen atom. The oxygen atom met two little hydrogen atoms, and suggested they try a threesome. They did, and everybody got wet. The end.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

stolen

yeah it was about 15,000 worth of stuff stolen-and none of it was covered by insurance. now i have a kill switch on the new pickup and looking at getting a gps tracking system for truck and trailer.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

well i didnt expect the crime to be THAT bad here either. i never trust anyone, i always lock, block, etc. everything i can. i have a pretty set schedule(24 on 48 off) so they had been casing the equipment for awhile .
Old 10-07-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alf500series View Post
i had to leave it out at night because we are renting right now and live at an apartment complex. i hated leaving it like that but had no other options--plus i never thought in a million years someone would take the truck and all.
Well they are stealing autos all over the country. You just threw in all your lawn equipment/trailer as a bonus. Read this stolen section and you will see than no one is exempt from thieves. From the poor to the rich and inbetween. You either have to have a place to store your equipment (indoors) or have Insurance. Both is preferable. Right! Somebody has to get something stolen from them to make them a believer. This is true
Old 10-07-2009, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanau View Post
Not all of us live deep in the ghetto. I never lock anything. Leave keys in the trucks ignition with the doors unlocked, equipment out, shop unlocked, house unlocked. We have no crime here. Never had anything stolen.

Had some gas borrowed once. They left $20 and a note on my door. Took a 5 gallon can. Brought the can back the next day, full.
you will learn your lesson the hard way

SOLO OPERATION
Old 10-07-2009, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

yes and a lesson in humility to boot. i have insurance for insurance now.