Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-09-2009, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Stihl or Echo Trimmer

hey i was just wondering what would be better. a stihl trimmer of echo trimmer. here are the websites for the trimmers: http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/professional.html
http://www.echo.ca/products_for_cate...?CategoryID=19
it seems to me that the still is better because more cc, but i am not sure.
on the echo website i only goes up to the 280 model but on home depot it says theres a 280t model. the price for the highest echo is around $400. and the price for the highest stihl is around $500. i want it to last a long time to ( doesnt everybody?). which one sould i buy?
Old 10-09-2009, 01:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I hated my echo stuff I just sold two edger and a trimmer all 225 series. I've been very happy with my husqvarna trimmer but the stihl has some nice stuff.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

I did away with echo last season... Got tired of cold starts tangled grass around the head lack of ooomph. Went to Stihl, got a Br600 blower and a FS90 trimmer and am very pleased with both units. Plenty of power and easy starts have increased my productivity and my most importantly my morale.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Both are crap! Gpt rid of Stihl around 8 years ago and got rid of Echo 2 years ago. Run strickly Red MAX for string trimmers and BP Blowers.
Old 10-09-2009, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

First off, asking what brand is better is like asking if chevy is better than ford. Your going to find people that like one better than the other. Some people hate stihl and others love it.

Hopefully your not thinking that the more money you spend on one, the longer it will last. As long as you get a trimmer that is rated for "commercial" or "professional" use, you will be fine, so that would mean that stihl FS 80 or higher and echo SRM-225(?) and higher. Also, DO NOT buy your equipment from home depot or any big box store for that matter, go to an authorized dealer and buy. It is well worth it to have a dealer stand behind the product.

Now, I've always used stihl, never anything else. I've had good luck with them. I also like to have the same brand equipment so I don't have to go to several different dealers for service/parts. So you need to look at what dealers you have around and which one you like the best.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 10-09-2009, 02:45 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The "T" on the end of the Echo is for the High torque model not engine size. I am sending you a PM
Old 10-09-2009, 03:32 PM
LawnSite Member

well i have used husky trimmers and echo. definitely like the echo better. never used a stihl other than chain saws. as said earlier just buy something commercial and you should be fine. i have a echo 260 that has paid for itself really quickly in speed and power and "morale" to quote karlgrooms. i have a buddy that has a 261 T and he swears by it. vince
Old 10-09-2009, 04:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i probably will go with stihl because my echo (dont know the model) doesnt start very easy. it will start 2nd pull but wil die right away. it will go on and on and on, but the only way to kept it running is to constanly give it gas. and even if i set it down ( to pic sumthin up) when it is warm it wont stay running to long. mabye someone has a solution to this delema. also what kind of gas do u guys use for 2stroke Unleaded or premium or what. i know to mix oil and the gas but its just dont want to live
Old 10-09-2009, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Member

i use the synthetic mix and super unleaded. it sounds like you may need to adjust the carb on your unit or have it adjusted at the dealer. vince
Old 10-09-2009, 04:13 PM
LawnSite Member

i use stihl weedeaters and blowers do not like the their edgers but their weedeaters are really nice my favorite is the fs80r but they don't make them no more because of the EPA regulations but if you can buy one those are really good i have two of those and a fs90 never really had any trouble with them my favorite thing about them is you can buy the replacement spools i have about 12 of them string them up and keep them in your trailer when you run out of string pop one off and new one back on good to go just my opinion.

Tags
cuter , weedeater , weedwhacker