Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 10-11-2009, 11:58 PM
STIHL GUY's Avatar
STIHL GUY STIHL GUY is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 5,141
i have run nothing but Stihl so this is going to be biased towards Stihl but it has never given me trouble and ill be sticking with Stihl
__________________
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD LS 4x4 6.0L
8' Fisher MM Snowplow
6.5' x 14' Big Tex Open Trailer
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-12-2009, 12:26 AM
rob7233's Avatar
rob7233 rob7233 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: 9b Central FL
Posts: 778
I'm not a regular Stihl user but I have used them. The thing I noticed was that the Stihl trimmers seemed to be more torquey at lower rpms than most other brands. Even the lower end models seemed to have enough power to get the job done. Would most of you Stihl users agree with the above?

I guess the Echos are still developing carb issues after some time. They come from the factory so leaned out and run hotter because of it. Lets give thanks to the EPA.

Use a fuel preservative ALWAYS (like Stabil) to save yourself from a lot of future carb headaches.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-12-2009, 01:21 AM
Alan0354's Avatar
Alan0354 Alan0354 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob7233 View Post
I'm not a regular Stihl user but I have used them. The thing I noticed was that the Stihl trimmers seemed to be more torquey at lower rpms than most other brands. Even the lower end models seemed to have enough power to get the job done. Would most of you Stihl users agree with the above?

I guess the Echos are still developing carb issues after some time. They come from the factory so leaned out and run hotter because of it. Lets give thanks to the EPA.

Use a fuel preservative ALWAYS (like Stabil) to save yourself from a lot of future carb headaches.
All their trimmer other than FS80 all 27+cc, even the Home Scaper trimmer is 27.2cc. Of cause they are powerful. Down side none of them are that light. Their weight spec are without head and guard!!!
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 10-12-2009, 08:30 AM
Pat'sPerfectLawnService's Avatar
Pat'sPerfectLawnService Pat'sPerfectLawnService is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 377
i have an echo right now, and i have a couple of heads and stuff so i could go with echo and have extra stuff. but on he other hand i want to go with stihl because it has more cc's. i still dont know what i want to do
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 10-12-2009, 09:38 AM
XLS XLS is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: southern middle tennessee
Posts: 2,038
mower brad i aint putting you out there but we run husquvarna 223L trimmers they are rated large estates but not professional units due to the type of shaft in them and 323L for bush hogging and they are rated commercial ad its the shafts that is different yet th war. is the same except the shaft is 90 days compaired to a year , coil is 1 year on both in 10 years only one has went down due to a fall off the truck bed while ideling as the guy was spooling line , broke te crank. and cutter choice husquvarnas are the same way ill challange anyone to a 30 second refill from the trailer to the ground, even though they are fast we keep an extra in the truck . i also love how the spool last 2 days between fills also
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 10-12-2009, 10:06 AM
Smittie's Avatar
Smittie Smittie is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Blum, Texas
Posts: 238
I have used Husqvarna, Echo, and Stihl. Each one have their merits but Stihl with the 4-mix appealed to me for the eco-friendliness it has compared to other brands. I am continually impressed by the Stihl FS-110R's that I purchased. The FS-90R I bought is great as well. Plenty of torque and believe me you can walk almost jog along fence lines or houses with these and they just eat up the grass without hesitation. STIHL FOREVER FOR ME!!!! BTW BR-600 backpack blower is just awesome. I haven't found anything it won't move.
__________________
Snapper Pro 21" commercial WB
Stihl FS-110R Trimmer
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 10-12-2009, 11:53 AM
Pat'sPerfectLawnService's Avatar
Pat'sPerfectLawnService Pat'sPerfectLawnService is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smittie View Post
I have used Husqvarna, Echo, and Stihl. Each one have their merits but Stihl with the 4-mix appealed to me for the eco-friendliness it has compared to other brands. I am continually impressed by the Stihl FS-110R's that I purchased. The FS-90R I bought is great as well. Plenty of torque and believe me you can walk almost jog along fence lines or houses with these and they just eat up the grass without hesitation. STIHL FOREVER FOR ME!!!! BTW BR-600 backpack blower is just awesome. I haven't found anything it won't move.
Does 4-mix mean it is 4 stroke?
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 10-12-2009, 12:41 PM
Alan0354's Avatar
Alan0354 Alan0354 is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Jose, Ca.
Posts: 4,458
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat'sPerfectLawnService View Post
Does 4-mix mean it is 4 stroke?
Yes.

It just different from the normal 4 cycle that it does not have separate oil. You use normal mix for 2 cycles in 4Mix.

Shindaiwa C4 is very very similar.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 10-12-2009, 12:50 PM
Runner's Avatar
Runner Runner is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Flint, Michigan
Posts: 13,492
We run both - Echo AND Stihl,...and plenty of them. Both are great machines. For those saying that Echos are junk,...I have to totally disagree. I have Echos there nearly 20 years old and still running strong. One thing about the Echoes, is that they are not nearly as temperamental in starting as the Stihls. They fire right up, and have a short warmup time. they are still running strong after all this time, and are super simple to read and adjust. the Stihls are fine, too. Granted, even when knowing the trick to starting them, they can still be a bit trickier to get started and warmed up. Either way,...you can't lose.
__________________
Joe

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 10-12-2009, 02:10 PM
Pat'sPerfectLawnService's Avatar
Pat'sPerfectLawnService Pat'sPerfectLawnService is online now
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Southern Florida
Posts: 377
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan0354 View Post
Yes.

It just different from the normal 4 cycle that it does not have separate oil. You use normal mix for 2 cycles in 4Mix.

Shindaiwa C4 is very very similar.
So that would mean i would use the same mix i use for my echo for the stihl?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cuter , weedeater , weedwhacker

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:10 PM.

Page generated in 0.10050 seconds with 7 queries