Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Member

For XLS or anyone else who is running Husky 223L on a daily basis, how are they holding up? Considering a transition over to them because of the light weight and decent power but have some reservations due to the trimmer head/shaft connection that appears somewhat fragile compared to other comercial trimmers. Have a bottom line Husky hand blower that I had to buy in a pinch a couple of years ago and it has held up great with a lot of use and has turned into a great backup.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper72' View Post
For XLS or anyone else who is running Husky 223L on a daily basis, how are they holding up? Considering a transition over to them because of the light weight and decent power but have some reservations due to the trimmer head/shaft connection that appears somewhat fragile compared to other comercial trimmers. Have a bottom line Husky hand blower that I had to buy in a pinch a couple of years ago and it has held up great with a lot of use and has turned into a great backup.
I would strongly reccomend husky trimmers. Use the speed feed head though... Trust me it may save you a lot of frustration if you are worried about the bump head that most come with.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-28-2010, 11:59 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

snapper72 it might apear they are weaker then most but in all honesty i have only had to replace 1 foot and 1 shaft on any of the units they were cheap replacments i am thinking the foot was $50.00 AND THE SHAFT WAS like $ 15.00 because of a lifetime warranty where they pay parts and we pay labor on it and . that was failure was only caused by aidiot why removed the guard and ran it 2 seasons and it apeared the foot and the shaft was weaker then the cluch . his answer to the situation was " The string was never over 2' long i dont get it " so thats my 2 cents on it .
Old 06-28-2010, 12:04 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

also cubcadet123 is right forget any of the older type heads most huszvarnas come with a T-35 head you will love it .you can spool them in 30 seconds, all day long and the bump head is a replaceable bump tip so you dont buy a complete piece and its $12.00 and we run them aroud 2 years between replacements but keep a extra becasue if you use it alot on concrete it speads up the process and if you wear it out mid day there is a spring in it if you lose it while trying to finish out the day its again a 12.00 spring lol so keep a blue tip and save some cash .
Old 06-28-2010, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Member

XLS and CubCadet123 thanks for the replies, they were very helpful . The trimmer head itself reminded me of the Shindy head everyone seems to like. Is that the speed feed head? Also, XLS how many years do your 223L's have on them? Doesn't sound like you have had any substantual issues with them. The only issue I have with going with them now is that my dealer only stocks Husky mowers and saws. I have handled them at Lowes but I like to buy through my dealer if I can. I haven't asked but I am sure he could order them for me. Are Husky parts easy to get online? If so, I may just go through Lowes who has the 223L priced at 249.00, which seems like a pretty good price. I'll check with my dealer first.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapper72' View Post
XLS and CubCadet123 thanks for the replies, they were very helpful . The trimmer head itself reminded me of the Shindy head everyone seems to like. Is that the speed feed head? Also, XLS how many years do your 223L's have on them? Doesn't sound like you have had any substantual issues with them. The only issue I have with going with them now is that my dealer only stocks Husky mowers and saws. I have handled them at Lowes but I like to buy through my dealer if I can. I haven't asked but I am sure he could order them for me. Are Husky parts easy to get online? If so, I may just go through Lowes who has the 223L priced at 249.00, which seems like a pretty good price. I'll check with my dealer first.
Yea the price is fair. And yes the speedfeed head is similar to the shindy one. Huskys are strong trimmers and should last a long time. Mine is in perfect condition.
Plus i also work in the snow.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat'sPerfectLawnService View Post
hey i was just wondering what would be better. a stihl trimmer of echo trimmer. here are the websites for the trimmers: http://www.stihlusa.com/trimmers/professional.html
http://www.echo.ca/products_for_cate...?CategoryID=19
it seems to me that the still is better because more cc, but i am not sure.
on the echo website i only goes up to the 280 model but on home depot it says theres a 280t model. the price for the highest echo is around $400. and the price for the highest stihl is around $500. i want it to last a long time to ( doesnt everybody?). which one sould i buy?
What about Redmax or Shindaiwa? I have Shindaiwa and Echo trimmers and I haven't had any problems at all so far. I couldn't expect more from them. I have never ran Stihl, but that doesn't mean I have anything against them. Which brand has better dealer support? Which brand has a more reasonable price? Which one has features and specs that suit you better? Take all of these things and others into consideration
I don't think you can go wrong with Echo, Stihl, Redmax, or Shindaiwa

Shindaiwa T242X
Echo SRM225
Redmax EBZ8001
Snapper Commercial 21
Homemade landscape box
Plenty of soon to comes
Old 06-28-2010, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Which one is the easiest to find parts, which parts are cheapest? I don't think you should have problem finding parts for Shindaiwa and Echo.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:20 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

some of the guys on here are rediculous when it comes to parts avalibility . truth is i can pull a detailed service record for any of the units and my guys are accountable for any and all damages and honestly they need no parts at all
we dont replace them untill they die and in 12 years of business the guys who run string trimmers everyday have never been down for mechanical issues . truth is we pay $298-$315 with dealer suport but we have never needed more then a carb turned to help on idle issues when gas was bad i looked this up before i started my reply our oldest units are 9 years old and going strong we have sold a few over the years but have never needed anything major but 12 fuel lines 54 bump caps 11 springs for the bump heads 18 outer head assemblies for the spool 1 shaft 1 gearbox 5 gear box seal kits 3 aluminum eyes for the head.

we have never had carb issues or engine complications and we have only lost work over 3issues i have mentioned previously . one was idleing on the side of a truck ,sliped fell and broke a rod on impact it had alot of hours and the dealer sugested buy a new one as to reworking it at the hours that was on it and the other was when they replaced the shaft to only find out it also got the foot so it was only 2 machines but 3 occurances .i really wouldnt worry about the online orders its not common to need help with them . my oppinion ..... i am so sure of them i tell people local if you dont like them when you buy them bring them to me and ill buy them from you . there is only 1 choice for us.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLS View Post
some of the guys on here are rediculous when it comes to parts avalibility . truth is i can pull a detailed service record for any of the units and my guys are accountable for any and all damages and honestly they need no parts at all
we dont replace them untill they die and in 12 years of business the guys who run string trimmers everyday have never been down for mechanical issues . truth is we pay $298-$315 with dealer suport but we have never needed more then a carb turned to help on idle issues when gas was bad i looked this up before i started my reply our oldest units are 9 years old and going strong we have sold a few over the years but have never needed anything major but 12 fuel lines 54 bump caps 11 springs for the bump heads 18 outer head assemblies for the spool 1 shaft 1 gearbox 5 gear box seal kits 3 aluminum eyes for the head.

we have never had carb issues or engine complications and we have only lost work over 3issues i have mentioned previously . one was idleing on the side of a truck ,sliped fell and broke a rod on impact it had alot of hours and the dealer sugested buy a new one as to reworking it at the hours that was on it and the other was when they replaced the shaft to only find out it also got the foot so it was only 2 machines but 3 occurances .i really wouldnt worry about the online orders its not common to need help with them . my oppinion ..... i am so sure of them i tell people local if you dont like them when you buy them bring them to me and ill buy them from you . there is only 1 choice for us.
Sorry if I missed it, but exactly which brand do you use?

Shindaiwa T242X
Echo SRM225
Redmax EBZ8001
Snapper Commercial 21
Homemade landscape box
Plenty of soon to comes

Tags
cuter , weedeater , weedwhacker