Register free!

Old 10-20-2009, 04:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT Bill View Post
You missed your time by almost a month
Listen to the "snow mold" post, it (snow mold) will love you for applying N, especially slow release, this late.

it will tear that turf up, be ready for a heavy seeding program in the spring, which is not a great time to seed BTW especially if you have a hot dry early spring

save yourself money and time, leave it for spring

I confused by this response....A few Midwest folks chimed in suggesting that a light application of some N would be fine "in fact the most important of the year". Furthermore the University extension office suggests a mid Oct app and a .50lb around Turkey day. How I'm late by a month has me confused?

To clarify I picked up some 22-0-9 from the box store I assume it has small amnt of slow release. Have only applied a 1lb of N back in the spring and a .50lb over the July 4th. The question is how much N should I apply for my fall feeding
Old 10-21-2009, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

late fertilizer

In the south you dont want any n down when it freezes mold of many types will emerge come spring The lawns here wont use it until spring 0-anything -anything i use 0-11-22
Old 10-21-2009, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.agry.purdue.edu/turf/tips...ertilizer.html
Old 10-21-2009, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice link.....So much for being a month late! Anyways what do you typically recommend in terms of an amount? This lawn has only received about a 1.5lbs of N so far this year
Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Member

studies prove 4#s a year most bang for the buck
Old 10-22-2009, 08:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cturf View Post
I am sure that is true for all soil conditions, all climates and water amounts, all sun/shade variables, etc.,etc.,etc...

Why even bother trying to figure out what is best for a given lawn , when the Trugreen Chemlawn strategy is the only thing you want to know?
Studies prove!!! Oh Boy - now we know what to do!!!!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cturf View Post
We get great results with 2.5-3# annually.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 10-22-2009, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

i totaled out at 2.75lbs this year. .75 of it just went down yesterday and im not really sure how necessary it was. Dont get me wrong..it can handle it.
Old 10-22-2009, 05:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Late fall nitrogen fertilization

Here is a form letter I leave for my customers regarding late fall fertilization.

Late season nitrogen fertilization has been practiced by professionals for some time, but new evidence shows the wisdom of this technique. Late season fertilization has become popular because many of the agronomic and aesthetic advantages attributed to its use supposedly are not realized when spring and/or summer fertilization are practiced. Purported advantages of the late season concept include: better fall and winter color; earlier spring green-up; increased shoot density; improved fall, winter, and spring root growth; and enhanced storage of energy reserves (carbohydrates) within the turf plant.

Turf quality
Signs of spring green-up have been shown to occur two to six weeks earlier if the turf has been fertilized during the previous fall. Turf fertilized in September and again during October, November, or December is generally shown to possess better fall and winter color than a turf which was not fertilized at that time. In addition, signs of spring green-up have been shown to occur two to six weeks earlier if the turf has been fertilized during the previous fall. Most importantly, the enhanced rate of spring greening is realized without stimulating excessive shoot growth that accompanies the early spring nitrogen applications called for in most turf fertility programs.
The true advantage that late-season fertilization provides to turf grass root growth is realized during the following spring. It has been shown that the root growth of turf fertilized during the late-winter/early spring declines soon after nitrogen application. Conversely, turf fertilized using the late season concept becomes green early and rapidly, without the need for an early spring nitrogen application, and root growth continues at a maximum rate. It appears that the excessive shoot growth encouraged by early spring nitrogen applications utilizes carbohydrates that may otherwise be used by growing roots.

Why timing is important
For the late-season concept to work successfully, it is essential that the turf be green when the late (October or November) nitrogen application is made. In northern Illinois, this means that 0.75 to 1.0 lb of quickly available nitrogen (such as urea) should be applied during the latter half of September. This will ensure that the grass will remain green late into the fall when the other application will be made. It is also important, however, that excessive shoot growth not be encouraged by over-application of nitrogen during September. For the same reasons, the October/November application should be delayed if extended periods of unusually warm weather (average daily temperatures greater than 55 degrees) are being experienced, or are forecast.

Summary
Late-season fertilization lengthens the fall/winter green period and enhances the rate of spring green-up without stimulating excessive shoot growth, thus allowing the turf plant to maintain higher levels of carbohydrates than when spring/summer fertilization is used. Nitrogen applied during early spring increases shoot growth rates and decreases the levels of available carbohydrates in the plant, resulting in depressed root growth rates. Late-season nitrogen applications have no similar negative effects on root growth.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FERT-TEK View Post
Here is a form letter I leave for my customers regarding late fall fertilization.

Late season nitrogen fertilization has been practiced by professionals for some time, but new evidence shows the wisdom of this technique. Late season fertilization has become popular because many of the agronomic and aesthetic advantages attributed to its use supposedly are not realized when spring and/or summer fertilization are practiced. Purported advantages of the late season concept include: better fall and winter color; earlier spring green-up; increased shoot density; improved fall, winter, and spring root growth; and enhanced storage of energy reserves (carbohydrates) within the turf plant.

Turf quality
Signs of spring green-up have been shown to occur two to six weeks earlier if the turf has been fertilized during the previous fall. Turf fertilized in September and again during October, November, or December is generally shown to possess better fall and winter color than a turf which was not fertilized at that time. In addition, signs of spring green-up have been shown to occur two to six weeks earlier if the turf has been fertilized during the previous fall. Most importantly, the enhanced rate of spring greening is realized without stimulating excessive shoot growth that accompanies the early spring nitrogen applications called for in most turf fertility programs.
The true advantage that late-season fertilization provides to turf grass root growth is realized during the following spring. It has been shown that the root growth of turf fertilized during the late-winter/early spring declines soon after nitrogen application. Conversely, turf fertilized using the late season concept becomes green early and rapidly, without the need for an early spring nitrogen application, and root growth continues at a maximum rate. It appears that the excessive shoot growth encouraged by early spring nitrogen applications utilizes carbohydrates that may otherwise be used by growing roots.

Why timing is important
For the late-season concept to work successfully, it is essential that the turf be green when the late (October or November) nitrogen application is made. In northern Illinois, this means that 0.75 to 1.0 lb of quickly available nitrogen (such as urea) should be applied during the latter half of September. This will ensure that the grass will remain green late into the fall when the other application will be made. It is also important, however, that excessive shoot growth not be encouraged by over-application of nitrogen during September. For the same reasons, the October/November application should be delayed if extended periods of unusually warm weather (average daily temperatures greater than 55 degrees) are being experienced, or are forecast.

Summary
Late-season fertilization lengthens the fall/winter green period and enhances the rate of spring green-up without stimulating excessive shoot growth, thus allowing the turf plant to maintain higher levels of carbohydrates than when spring/summer fertilization is used. Nitrogen applied during early spring increases shoot growth rates and decreases the levels of available carbohydrates in the plant, resulting in depressed root growth rates. Late-season nitrogen applications have no similar negative effects on root growth.
maybe im just being picky...but "new evidence shows"...what about the old evidence. My grandfather knew this. The eveidence is not new at all. Secondly as someone who has fed heavily in fall my entire career..I can tell you that a bluegrass lawn fed in the fall WILL NOT always green up quicker than one that is fed early spring. Not saying you didnt read that somewhere..but it was most likely refering to a specific or controlled situation. No that I would, but I could hit a lawn hard (like a lot of guys do) in the early spring amd absolutly blow that fall lawn away (all the eventual problems aside). My point is that a lot of what you said can and will be contradicted right in front of the customers eyes. There is WAY TO MUCH INFO in your memo for a customer. Might want to simple it down a bit....just my 2c