Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-12-2009, 07:40 PM
LawnSite Member

Dont get comfortable

My 6x12 trailer, exmark lct4818kc, tt52219kac, and metro 21 disappeared in the middle of the night. just goes to show you that you cant be lazy when you lock up your equipment. it was the first night that i had left my truck unhooked and on the other side to the driveway. I work for a power equipment company that sells exmark and hustler and have had other contractors especially as of late come in to get model and serial info for police reports. Sure was a real crappy and eye opening way to start a monday morning
Old 10-12-2009, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Man that sucks, sorry to hear that!

Did you have a lock on the trailer ball lock?

Damn, I never leave the trailer without something parked in front of it if it's unhitched!
Old 10-12-2009, 08:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDSUZUKI View Post
My 6x12 trailer, exmark lct4818kc, tt52219kac, and metro 21 disappeared in the middle of the night. just goes to show you that you cant be lazy when you lock up your equipment. it was the first night that i had left my truck unhooked and on the other side to the driveway. I work for a power equipment company that sells exmark and hustler and have had other contractors especially as of late come in to get model and serial info for police reports. Sure was a real crappy and eye opening way to start a monday morning
They have been stealing lawn maintenance equipment in the Charlotte, NC and surrounding area like there is no tomorrow. They told me some dealers had sold more as replacements from mowers being stolen than normal sales. Maybe thieves are good for mower sales, but tough on insurance companies, and we all know the insurance companies aren't going to lose. I've heard of 6 and 8 new Exmarks being stolen from one lawn maintenance company, I don't know what insurance coverage they had if any; but it put one company out of business.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear JDsuzuki.

any advice for the rest of us on insurance?
hope you make it through this ok!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Really sorry to hear that!!! There are some crappy people out there to steal equipment that someone uses to feed a family....

was the equipment insured?
CubCadet 36" G1236 Walk-behind 12.5 B&S
Exmark StandOn Sulky
Yard Machine 21" 6hp Push Mower
Shindaiwa LE231 Edger
Shindaiwa 242 Trimmer
Husqvarna' 322L Trimmer
Shindaiwa DH230 Hedge Trimmer
Shindaiwa EB8510 Backpack Blower
Troy-Bilt TB32OBV Hand Held Blower
Old 10-13-2009, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

That sucks real bad, Keep an eye on craigslist/ ebay for it. They will be trying to unload it quickly because people who steal crap are stupid. That is why they dont work hard for thier stuff like the rest of us.
Wright
Snapper
Snapper pro
Redmax
Snow ex
Blizzard plows
Boss plows
And fix all the rest...
Old 10-13-2009, 12:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

People can say they live in a nice area and something like that would never happen, but they are fooling themselves, it can happen anywhere. I live in a decent area, but my equipment goes in one of my sheds or garage. It is never left out over night, even if I am mowing the next day. I always say plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Quick off topic story. I have had a CC permit for years and carry my a gun quite often for personal protection. My wife used to complain to me about it. Well one night we heard some noise coming from are basement. After getting our daughter from her bedroom, the first thing that came out of my wife's mouth was "Where is your gun?" The noise ended up being our cats. Needless to say the wife does not complain about my guns now. Crime can happen anywhere or anytime, you are right about not getting too comfortable. Hope you get your stuff back and the people responsible get arrested.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your lose! Being a victim of a theft sucks. Been there done that. Fortunately, we have only lost a couple of weedeaters and we now lock up everything that is not in use on the trailer while mowing. I hope you get your equipment back and the thieves get what they deserve!
Old 10-13-2009, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnkingforever View Post
People can say they live in a nice area and something like that would never happen, but they are fooling themselves, it can happen anywhere. I live in a decent area, but my equipment goes in one of my sheds or garage. It is never left out over night, even if I am mowing the next day. I always say plan for the worst, hope for the best.
Quick off topic story. I have had a CC permit for years and carry my a gun quite often for personal protection. My wife used to complain to me about it. Well one night we heard some noise coming from are basement. After getting our daughter from her bedroom, the first thing that came out of my wife's mouth was "Where is your gun?" The noise ended up being our cats. Needless to say the wife does not complain about my guns now. Crime can happen anywhere or anytime, you are right about not getting too comfortable. Hope you get your stuff back and the people responsible get arrested.
You are a smart man, carrying not only for you and your families protection, but possibly for someone not able to protect themselves. I can say I feel the same as you, there may be one difference, I shoot to kill not wound, if I wound, I missed. It is much easier to defend yourself in a court of law against someone that cannot talk.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i feel your pain man. get on the phone and start calling every pawn shop in the area! that's where mine was trying to be sold the next day:my post in stolen equip.

my truck and trailer containing all my landscaping equipment was stolen in august. they broke out the window in the truck and hot wired it. they then proceeded to drive it off in the middle of the night. the next morning as i got ready to go to work i found the big surprise. later that night the truck was found burnt with all of the equipment gone out of the trailer and truck.
the biggest items were a snapper zero turn 50" mower, stihl br550 backpack blower, echo weed eater, lots of hand tools, irrigation fittings and supplies, the pocket bike i had in the bed of the truck and the side fairings from my motorcycle i was working on.
i think the fact that i am a full time fireman and do the landscaping on my days off helped in the situation. i know lots of people in this town who know a lot of people. i had a slot on the radio about the theft, the local helicopter pilots looking as they gave scenic tours, the ambulance drivers looking around the county,the pd(alot of help they were-HA!)a friend who has friends in low places-wink wink, etc. so i had alot of exposure over the situation.
the next day i found out from a friend, who's buddy owns a pawn shop in the area, that they tried to sell the stuff there. well, they never came in, but gave an address to where the mower was at so the pawn shop could look at it. i went to the location but-as i figured-it wasn't't there. so the cops have the number of the person who called it in to sell it and everything! but as u guessed NOTHING was done about it. so i did some investigating of my own. i kept casing the location of where the mower was supposed to be located at---let me say i fine quality neighborhood.
come to find out there is a 84 red and white gmc with a trailer hitch and trailer parked near the residence. i did some calling around. i had his plates ran and got background on him and his family(several different offenses on all of them) i then ran into the owner and his trashy friends at walmart a couple of nights later. they all had the look of--hey ---that's the guy right there. looking over their shoulders, out the sides of their eyes. not guilty at all.
since another guy's mom on my crew is a manager at walmart we went there the next day to talk to her about the person. low and behold we run into him again on the way in. we have his mom meet us in the front of the store to point him out and they put him on the list of shoplifters. the NEXT day one of his friends gets caught shoplifting!
well needless to say i still don't have any of my equipment back-except the trailer-and had to pay to get it out of the impound from being towed. wow that whole sit. is a story in itself. but a little justice was served to him a week ago. a friend of mine does repos. and guess who got their car reposed!!!!!! ha ha ha what goes around comes around.......

there is more to this story as well. if u would like to know , drop me a line.

chris