Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2009, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been running 3 48"/17hp. for about 4 years now, just bought a new one this summer. Great cut and virtually trouble free. Replaced an engine on one unit at 1700 hrs. 2 months ago. my local dealer has a leftover 52"/19 priced below 6 grand. Brand new. Drive a little save alot!
Old 10-14-2009, 11:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I appreciate all the replies.

I am looking at a used unit, that is actually on LS.

It is a 52" w/ a 17 hp Kawasaki on it. I noticed that people that had 52" all mentioned having 19 Kawasaki.

Will a 17 hp pull a velke alright?
Old 10-14-2009, 11:37 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use 36" and 48" TTHP mowers as well as several other types, including Lazer, Navigator, Gravely and Walker mowers. The Turf Tracers are no regrets purchases. They perform extremely well. The guys like them. They are reliable. The are the best performing mower on hills. They are also more acceptable to customers who have perception issues with big mowers on their lawns. They are not cheap, but they are a good value. If I had to reduce our mower fleet to just one type, there is no question it would be the Turf Tracer.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheC-Master View Post
If your mower deck gets "hung up" you should try to put some oil on the adjustment levers. I did it and it worked like a charm. WD40
Very much agree with this. We spray WD40 about once a day and never have problems with the deck hanging up on the adjustment pins.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't mean to hijack this, but can you have the stand-on and the stripe kit mounted onto the mower at the same time? I'm looking at the TTHP 36" for a future purchase and was wondering that.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsung View Post
I own a 48"/17hp with trivantage deck. I'm not a pro and only put in less than 100 hours in the last 2 years, so please take my opinions with grain of salt.

pros:
- Very easy to operate. Adjusting cutting height is very simple (vs the viking).
- no scalping (my lot is relatively flat but bumpy in some areas)
- carpet liking cutting and excellent striping (without striping bar)
- excellent mulching (with factory mulching kit)

cons:
- bad clumps (discharging) and under deck build ups when grass is very wet and tall.

All in all, no regrets for my investment.
I agree with the pros, but interestingly, my lazer hp has essentially an identical deck but doesn't get much deck buildup for some reason. It will have some clumping in wet conditions but I assume most do.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:27 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi had a Turf Tracer with a 36" deck. Good reliable machine. Floating/adjustable deck was nice. I sold it to a fellow lawn care friend who had a Viking. He really likes the TT better.

I only sold it because I was not using it so much anymore. I sold it with 360 hrs on it. I will be buying a Walker for 2010.
Old 10-26-2009, 11:09 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by delphied View Post
I had a TTHP 48 with a 17 hp Kawasaki. The only thing I liked was the stripe. That mower design is old stuff now. The trivantage deck is an antique.I went to a 48 Grandstand and love it. If you are buying new, the stand on is the way to go IMHO. BTW, my fixed deck on the Grandstand scalps less than the floating deck on the TTHP.
Hate to break it to 'ya man but you have a floating deck on both of those machines. A TRUE fixed deck on a grandstand isnt an option to my knowledge; granted its not really a TRUE floating deck either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WGLandscapeMaintenance View Post
I don't mean to hijack this, but can you have the stand-on and the stripe kit mounted onto the mower at the same time? I'm looking at the TTHP 36" for a future purchase and was wondering that.
Yessir, stripe kit mounts in place of the rear anti scalp wheels, and makes no difference to the compatibility of a sukly/velky.
Chevy

www.OakwoodLandscapeConcepts.com
Old 10-27-2009, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oakwdman View Post
Hate to break it to 'ya man but you have a floating deck on both of those machines. A TRUE fixed deck on a grandstand isnt an option to my knowledge; granted its not really a TRUE floating deck either.

Im speechless. You call the deck on a Grandstand floating>
Old 10-27-2009, 09:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's floating in the respect of the height being adjusted easily, not necessarily the fact that it floats over the ground. Idk what to call it now lol.
Chevy

www.OakwoodLandscapeConcepts.com