Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-14-2009, 05:41 AM
LawnSite Member

New Holland LS 170 Skid Steer

I have an opportunity to buy a one owner 2002 LS 170 skid with 422 hours on it for $14,500. I will use it to move dirt around and move pallets of sod. The specs. say the operating load is 1765 pounds. Anybody know how much this machine will lift with rear weights on it? I figure a pallet of moist sod is about 2000 pounds. Can this machine handle it and how are the New Holland skids? Good price? Thanks.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbee View Post
I have an opportunity to buy a one owner 2002 LS 170 skid with 422 hours on it for $14,500. I will use it to move dirt around and move pallets of sod. The specs. say the operating load is 1765 pounds. Anybody know how much this machine will lift with rear weights on it? I figure a pallet of moist sod is about 2000 pounds. Can this machine handle it and how are the New Holland skids? Good price? Thanks.
Should be in the $10K to $12K max range depending on condition - paint, tires, seat etc etc.

It has roughly ~ 2600 psi @ 17 GPMs. Weak in the PSI range. It'll lift roughly ~2,500lbs 4x4 pallet before the hydros stop and hiss at you - going over relief.

VW parking brake is 99.9% probably not going to work. This is due to operator not pushing park brake handle to the floor manually after releasing it, pads drag and wear out. You only get about one adjustment and then it's a PITA to replace the pads.

Special cab jack needed to roll the cab/ROPS over and it takes close to an hour to just open up. You can raise the seat up (which I'd do and look in there with a flash light for leaks) but you need to be a chipmunk to fit in there.

Climb under the unit to just change the engine oil and you have to grease the axles periodically - no biggie but they are not easy to access without removing the wheel.

Non o-ring hydro line fittings which brings the suck also.

Boom hinge pins and rear boom lower pivot points are the weak link and do break from the boom frame over time.

Fairly reliable unit and should do you fine just look in these areas.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Ls 170

Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on a machine to buy for the type of work i am doing? In this area, we have dealers for all the major brands so service wouldn't be a problem. How about the Takeuchi TL 130s? Thanks again.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:52 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Taks are really simple and fairly easy to work on. They are wonderful for Landscaping/Grading/excavation.
If you work on asphalt or Concrete a bunch I would not recomend the machine.
I own a TL140 and it has been good to me. It is a little bit noisy in my opinion and I wish they had more Aux flow but no machine is perfect.

All machines in this class( Less than 2000 ROC) will struggle unloading pallets of sod here in Georgia. They will move them fine on a job site but they will struggle unloading off of a flatbed.
The local nursery has a s205 and he really struggles sometimes loading the sod for customers.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbee View Post
Thanks for the info. Any recommendations on a machine to buy for the type of work i am doing? In this area, we have dealers for all the major brands so service wouldn't be a problem. How about the Takeuchi TL 130s? Thanks again.
All skid steer loaders and compact track machines are rated at percentages of their tipping load - stability ratings mostly, nothing to do with how much weight a machine will lift off the ground. Industry uses the ROC Rated operating capacity to classify units.

The TL130 is smaller then the LS170 NH and is rated completely different from skid steer loaders. CTL's are more stable then skid steer loaders and can usually handle weight better across rough terrain and hill sides.

I don't know how much weight the TL130 can handle or if it will pick up a 2000lb + pallet of sod. You may need to move up to a TL140 for that kind of weight.

If possible, try these units out and have a set of forks put on so you can lift the weight you normally do. This will tell you more then anyone typing on here will.

I would stay with major MFG names for better parts availability, service, and most importantly resale value. bobcat, Takeuchi, case (shiver), NH, Deere & Cat.

Good time to buy though, you should be able to make your deal.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:07 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

The TL130 is not hydraulically limited.
It will lift way more than the machine can physically lift.

My TL140 has an ROC of less than 2k but I have lifted 6k of wallblocks and moved them with it.Of course the machine weighs 10k.

The TL130 is not large enough to unload trucks on a regular basis.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I had a 665 and 170, they are the little skid that can. I had foam filled tires and grouser tracks and was lifting 3000 pound paver pallets off semis. I wouldn't want to do it all the time but it did do it.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If the machine was a fewer years newer the price would be about right. If it is in real nice shape try talking down a grand and I would think your doing o.k., Of course in Wisconsin skids seam to hold there value better than most areas, so you might want to do some price checking in your area. It will handle a pallet of sod as long as it's not to wet, and you have the counter weights. There are lots of die hard NH people around here that have been buying them as long as i can remember,especially farmers and landscapers, so they must be decent machines. I also would not recommend one if your doing constant digging in hard ground.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWJ Services View Post
My TL140 has an ROC of less than 2k but I have lifted 6k of wallblocks and moved them with it.Of course the machine weighs 10k.
OK, I have to call BS on that. It may have scooted it around but outright lift that weight any distance off the ground on a 4x4 pallet is just pure hype.
Old 10-14-2009, 04:15 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidsteerman View Post
OK, I have to call BS on that. It may have scooted it around but outright lift that weight any distance off the ground on a 4x4 pallet is just pure hype.
Wanna bet?