Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-22-2009, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Looks like 4 years more to go before I get parole LOL

My job feels like a prision sentence that never ends and the way things are looking I will be stuck with this job for another 3-4 years. I will be 37 and still have to live in the basement of my parents house because I can't afford the rent in the area and I have no chance of buying a place because my annual income isn't high enough. The people I work with have a the exact date of retirement to get out they are litterally counting the days. They are stuck if they quit they loose the 20 years they put into the pension.

Employee moral is fairly low because the way management does things and treats employees. I can't really say much more but just put it this way your a brown thing that swirls around the toilet when you flush it. The gov't doesn't care your just a nothing to them and now the gov't is broke they are cutting costs everywhere.

Watching the news lately isn't helping anything. This province I live in with a few other members here is really in bad shape. If people are barely making it and living paycheck to paycheck with the verge of personal bankruptsy. I live paycheck to paycheck aswell but I'am not as bad as the people being shown on the news.

What really pizzes you off is the stupid beeping gov't is spending billions on this stupid winter olympics which is going to be the biggest ******* disaster. Heard today the gov't is spending millions of dollars making telephone poles pretty for the Olympics.

There is frigging people un-employeed that can't collect anymore un-employment insurance but the gov't is blowing a million dollars on these dress up collars for the telephone poles on the road to Whistler so the tourist will be impressed and don't have to look at a wood telephone pole.

Now the gov't wants to raise taxes because they don't have enough money.

People say oh you got a good job you work for the gov't. I don't think so walk in my shoes for a week you will change your tune real quick. You end up with health problems from job stress I got it all the people I work have it. I deal with the stress better than the others I work with.

Looking at some stats the other day and it shows its going to take another 3-4 years before the economy is in this province gets better

Summer is over now we are into fall and I don't think anybody that is in the construction industry did very well. These guys made enough money to keep the wolves away from the door but not enough to get through winter. Looks like the food bank and unable to pay their bills for some.

I'am at a loss what to do I guess hope keep working at my current job and deal with the problems and B.S. . I almost punched somebody the other day the stress level flared up. I'am in a bad mood most of the time especailly after work and dealing with the job. The same crap day in day out.

Rather be running equipment or driving truck again h*ll rather be pulling wrenches again but sad to say not much work out there.

Ever seen grown men almost break out in tears because they are un-employeed from the lack of work in the construction industry. Go from being employeed for years to being un-employeed and loose everything you own it is happening to friends of mine that are in the construction industry.

Enough ranting maybe the job stress will give me a heart attack and I can go on long term disability.

Last edited by Gravel Rat; 09-22-2009 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Shipping container GR, it can be placed anywhere so then you're out of the basement. I'll send you an Ikea catalog so you can outfit it. Can't Ron send some 'company' over for you?dizzy:

Remember - happy thoughts...
Old 09-22-2009, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It's what you make of it.

Recession? What recession? I regeared, spent some money on advertising, and have had a record year. Best year ever.

I spend quite a lot of time in BC (I'm just south of you) and boy howdy I wish I had the opportunities you have. There is nothing wrong with the BC economy. There is nothing wrong with the economy in the PNW. It's all in your head.

This year I pushed the low dollar stuff much harder than the high dollar hardscaping. Folks still want to spend money on their house, just not as much this year. I may not have built as many paver patios, but I have over 300,000 bulbs to get in the ground before first frost.

Think, act, overcome.

Bob
Old 09-22-2009, 07:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

GR, I am curious, what exactly do you do at this govt job?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:32 PM
LawnSite Member

I try to be happy I wished I punched the person the other day it wasn't a co-worker it was a person that was pizzing me off. I would have gotten fired over it thou don't want to do that. I haven't gotten that mad in a long time where you start shaking. People do ask me how I deal with stress like I do because I don't really show it. It does build up and I do vent but not at work.

Don't you love job stress you have troubles sleeping, get problems with your guts. I get headaches regulary and have tension problems. As I said every co-worker has the same problem. We would be working somewhere else if there was other jobs to go too. You can't live off of a job that pays less than 20 dollars per hour nowwadays. The people that work in the grocery stores live in poverty because at 10-12 dollars per hour you can't even pay your rent.

As I said the gov't has this stupid idea the winter Olympics is wonderfull.

Tourist will come to Vancouver and see its a horrible city. Rampant crime there is a huge drug problem. There is thousands of homeless people. Oh ya that really screams out tourist friendly.

The Liberal gov't has lied on how much they have spent so far the tax payers might be paying for this event that lasts 2 weeks for the next 40 years.

People are un-employeed they can't afford to live they have to use food banks to eat but the stupid A hole gov't keeps spending money on a big waste of time.

I will laugh if we get nothing but rain this winter if it doesn't snow the winter Olympics will be a big flop. The billions of dollars all flushed down the toilet.

Oh well not much you can do when the gov't aka the idiot we voted for doesn't listen.

He doesn't promote small businesses he just steps on them.

I pay about 12 grand in income tax a year and what does it benefit me nothing.

Now the gov't wants to bring in more taxes we are already taxed enough.

The province needs JOBS get people working. The un-employment rate is higher than its ever been.

The younger generation like me and Ron and the others are screwed our parents are making our future nothing but a huge debt.

Enough ranting I'am thouroughly pizzed now

Yep sick of my job and stuck in a rut I had to get out of the excavating industry when I did or I would be walking he un-employment line like my friends. I feel sorry for my friends that don't know if they will have a paycheck next month.

A machine operator isn't a career anymore I don't think it will ever be unless something improves.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
I try to be happy I wished I punched the person the other day it wasn't a co-worker it was a person that was pizzing me off. I would have gotten fired over it thou don't want to do that. I haven't gotten that mad in a long time where you start shaking. People do ask me how I deal with stress like I do because I don't really show it. It does build up and I do vent but not at work.

Don't you love job stress you have troubles sleeping, get problems with your guts. I get headaches regulary and have tension problems. As I said every co-worker has the same problem. We would be working somewhere else if there was other jobs to go too. You can't live off of a job that pays less than 20 dollars per hour nowwadays. The people that work in the grocery stores live in poverty because at 10-12 dollars per hour you can't even pay your rent.

As I said the gov't has this stupid idea the winter Olympics is wonderfull.

Tourist will come to Vancouver and see its a horrible city. Rampant crime there is a huge drug problem. There is thousands of homeless people. Oh ya that really screams out tourist friendly.

The Liberal gov't has lied on how much they have spent so far the tax payers might be paying for this event that lasts 2 weeks for the next 40 years.

People are un-employeed they can't afford to live they have to use food banks to eat but the stupid A hole gov't keeps spending money on a big waste of time.

I will laugh if we get nothing but rain this winter if it doesn't snow the winter Olympics will be a big flop. The billions of dollars all flushed down the toilet.

Oh well not much you can do when the gov't aka the idiot we voted for doesn't listen.

He doesn't promote small businesses he just steps on them.

I pay about 12 grand in income tax a year and what does it benefit me nothing.

Now the gov't wants to bring in more taxes we are already taxed enough.

The province needs JOBS get people working. The un-employment rate is higher than its ever been.

The younger generation like me and Ron and the others are screwed our parents are making our future nothing but a huge debt.

Enough ranting I'am thouroughly pizzed now

Yep sick of my job and stuck in a rut I had to get out of the excavating industry when I did or I would be walking he un-employment line like my friends. I feel sorry for my friends that don't know if they will have a paycheck next month.

A machine operator isn't a career anymore I don't think it will ever be unless something improves.
Oh lord, the old GR is back..

Quote:

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 09-22-2009, 07:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you talking about Vancouver British Columbia?

Are you high?

I go to Vancouver BC 4 times a year for a 2 week vacation. It is my favorite west coast city by far.

Rampant crime? No. Not even close. I lock my truck in Seattle, not in Vancouver. In Portland I put my wallet in my front pocket, not in Vancouver. In LA I stay indoors after sunset, in Vancouver I enjoy the awesome night life worry free.

Drug problem? Hell no, I go there because weed is practically legal.

Thousands of homeless people? Where?

Vancouver BC is a wonderful, safe city. Great universities, friendly people, lots of cultural activities.

You sir, are doing that city a great disservice by spreading lies!

Bob
Old 09-22-2009, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
GR, I am curious, what exactly do you do at this govt job?
I can't say much on what I do because management makes any excuse to sack you. You can't have a facebook account etc. Even thou I hate the job I can't get sacked I have no other jobs to go too.

The last recession was back in the 90s I had alot more work then I do today. With todays recession it is worse than previous years.

Like I said there is so many people eating out of the same food bowl that I had to myself for 10-12 years I guess I got pushed out. People work for pennys and do jobs for 90% cheaper than I can almost at no profit I can't do that. When I started out of highschool the only landscapers was me and 2 other guys now today everybody and their dog is in the landscaping business.

The excavating business the same only a few contractors now there is too many of them.

I'am spread out I can't offer any more services than I already do and I haven't got any work.

I advertised which I never ever had to do and not one phone call. It used to be good times I made some money I liked what I did. I don't like sitting still I like to see what I accomplished.

Around 2000 the economy took a real dive I applied for a job with the gov't and worked part time. I also worked for excavation contractors.

I'am at a loss what to do because I can't survive on being self-employeed not at what the wage rates are now. Its like hiring a cheap hooker now. Landscaping is a starvation business. A friend of mine who is in it works very hard at what he does to make a living. It is a tough go its not as easy as it was say 5 years ago.

Excavating of any sort is non existant the contractors are hanging on by their toe nails. I'am very surprised these guys can keep going with the amount of work they are getting. Doing jobs at a near loss to keep surviving really hurts.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravel Rat View Post
I can't say much on what I do because management makes any excuse to sack you. You can't have a facebook account etc. Even thou I hate the job I can't get sacked I have no other jobs to go too.

The last recession was back in the 90s I had alot more work then I do today. With todays recession it is worse than previous years.

Like I said there is so many people eating out of the same food bowl that I had to myself for 10-12 years I guess I got pushed out. People work for pennys and do jobs for 90% cheaper than I can almost at no profit I can't do that. When I started out of highschool the only landscapers was me and 2 other guys now today everybody and their dog is in the landscaping business.

The excavating business the same only a few contractors now there is too many of them.

I'am spread out I can't offer any more services than I already do and I haven't got any work.

I advertised which I never ever had to do and not one phone call. It used to be good times I made some money I liked what I did. I don't like sitting still I like to see what I accomplished.

Around 2000 the economy took a real dive I applied for a job with the gov't and worked part time. I also worked for excavation contractors.

I'am at a loss what to do because I can't survive on being self-employeed not at what the wage rates are now. Its like hiring a cheap hooker now. Landscaping is a starvation business. A friend of mine who is in it works very hard at what he does to make a living. It is a tough go its not as easy as it was say 5 years ago.

Excavating of any sort is non existant the contractors are hanging on by their toe nails. I'am very surprised these guys can keep going with the amount of work they are getting. Doing jobs at a near loss to keep surviving really hurts.
You cant have a FB just because of your job?

Quote:

Old 09-22-2009, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior M View Post
You cant have a FB just because of your job?
They frown on FB or they monitor it if you do have one. I'am not into Facebook anyhow.

Just have to watch your step or you could get fired.