Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-07-2011, 11:37 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Trailer Question

Its a long story, but I'll keep it short. Found out today that my trailer is just shy of weight limit. I was thinking that I had plent of weight to spare, but pulled it on scale and nope. Is this a bad thing? Its got two 3500 lb axels, and I'm at 6800, every day, every week, every month, every pot hole..blah blah. Anyhow, is it time to upgrade?
Old 05-07-2011, 11:43 PM
LawnSite Member

It's always time to upgrade
Old 05-08-2011, 12:04 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Why did you buy a 20' trailer with 3500lb axles?
Old 05-08-2011, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sadly here in hudson. They still sell them too. It's an express
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2011, 01:49 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I bet that trailer hates to turn. I'd seriously upgrade at least the axles since the frame can with hold at least 7000lbs. However, it may be better to upgrade the whole trailer.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Unless the roads are really bad I think your trailer is riding well at near it's load rating. It will actually use the suspension to absorb impacts. My trailers run better loaded to 3/4 of the ratting or more. At less than that the load wants to shift and bounce around.

The other thing to look at is the tracking and tire ware, if both are good I'd say go with the trailer as is(unless you want to upgrade).
Old 05-08-2011, 12:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Tires last about 10 months I have no way to know the miles as the trailer stays at a different spot than the truck every night. And at the time I bought it, I was like 7k is fine, I'm never going to have more than that. Well the sales place didn't tell to subtract weight of trailer. Now I know this of course, but also when I bought it I had just bought around 200 accounts, giving me a total of 320, and I needed it bad at the time
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2011, 01:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

That sounds a bit to close for my tastes my 7 k trailers weight in at 5 k or less loaded and we still have had axle and bearing issues over the years we have owned them. Not saying you will have a wheel fall off but I did and it was at 10 mph turning into a horse farm I mow. I had the pleasure of looking in the side mirror to make sure I missed the curb and watching the wheel roll off I snapped the axle from metal fatigue. Something you don't want to experience but it could of been way way worse what if instead it did it on the highway and it had given no indication it was in trouble id even just had all the bearings repacked. If it were me id be thinking of dumping the underrated trailer in the next few seasons or as soon as I could.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Use a load range D radial tire, they will last longer. As for the axles I would use a 5200lb axle under it for less chance of it breaking but wouldn't carry any more than you are now.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The reason I stopped in the trailer place in the first place, was to get the tounge extended. It won't pull behind my newest truck, thats when I found the axels may be bent....anyway around 2700 for new axels, tires and wheels, and tounge extension. Or I could trade mine in and spend around 5k out the door for a brand new trailer, extended tounge, 5200 lb axels...