Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2009, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Member

The permagreen CAN NOT and WILL NOT work with how it is instructed to use in the manual, you can not use with 7' on center rows. The machine must be used with circular application pattern only.

With the 10 o'clock and 4 o'clock spread pattern there is now way mathematically you can get a uniform spread pattern going in rows with 7' centers.

The correct way to do a pan calibration test is to use 3" aluminum pans and pour contents from each pan into a 1/2" diamiter tube 4" tall. Add all numbers together then divide to find percentage in each pan........If done this way you will see the glaring issue with the machine!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2009, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Thats funny.....I wasnt even gonna say what you just did because I'm quite sure that no one would believe me and that I would be wasting my time. I was taught to apply using "double coverage" 20 years ago. That means every 2.5 feet roughly with a lesco wb spreader. Single pass coverage is highly dependent on fert movement in the soil for a tru even application. When they first came out with the ride-ons...It was funny to see all the streaks in town. I actually have a pic of the application pattern needed with a Lesco bucket...I may post it.
Old 04-07-2011, 12:52 PM
LawnSite Member

We have a Permagreen Magnum spreader that's about 3 years old and does the same thing. For the first two years, it had a very nice and even spread pattern as the manual says it should. Last year it started spreading in a 10 - 4 o'clock pattern and nothing has corrected the situation. Calls to the PG technical help line have gone unanswered.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you are getting too much fertilizer to the right (4 o'clock) --close off the left hand hole slightly. (And open the main setting about a half -notch). Make sure the impeller is clean. Make sure there is no build up of residue arond the hole openings. Different fertilizers will spread a little different. Even weather will change the pattern at times. Humidity makes particles slightly soft.
If a pellet falls near the center of the spinner--it stays on the spinner longer and tends to go left. If a pellet falls near the outside of the spinner--it leaves the platter quick and tends to go right. (If the impeller is spinning counter clockwise.)

I know this because I worked as asst Manager at TruGreen one time. I rebuilt a spreader and accidentally assembled a gear backwards. The spinner spun in the wrong direction. Our rookie applicator used it . It threw all the fertilizer behind the spreader on his feet, all day. He complained about it when he got back at 5:00.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I am on my second machine as well. I don't mind them but yet i have the same issue. Spread pattern is always different though with fert. types and weather. I guess I have learn to compensate with the machine.

Spray pattern on high is fine. The narrow setting is just too narrow for me. Really it is useless in my book.

There tech. support is awful. When I have had issues out in the field, I call only to get a secetary at best, asking me my life history of why I am calling, then proceeds to direct my call, I either get hung up on or moved to voice mail of some sort that never does get anwsered.

LT machine will be looked at closely next time around.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree the Mag narrow spray is like 18" wide and doesn't even cover edge of wheel to edge of wheel. Will probably only use that along landscape edging with plantings and that is it.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-15-2011, 02:15 AM
LawnSite Member

The machines are simply bad news. The problem with the spread patternit is @ 10 and 4 oclock. 65-70% material to right side 30-35% to the left.Must always put down in circular pattern
Old 04-18-2011, 11:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodsonkd View Post
The machines are simply bad news. The problem with the spread patternit is @ 10 and 4 oclock. 65-70% material to right side 30-35% to the left.Must always put down in circular pattern
I saw this pattern yesterday using my Mag for the first time. I agree circular is the best way to go. Otherwise make sure your overlap is proper, I always throw wheel to wheel regardless to avoid missed stripes. But running 7' centers is not possible if going back and forth, you will have 7', then like 5', then repeat. Not the greatest scenario.
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 04-18-2011, 06:36 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

TruGreen was using a back and forth pattern on our local school yard. I measured the pattern at 10 feet center to center swath width, (using the tracks in the grass).

Is the impeller worn? Any fert accumulation on the impeller or fert openings? Have you adjusted the pattern adjustment slides? Did the left-side slide control have no effect? How about the right side? Are you using the Lesco opening adjustment measuring keys? What is the size of the openings on the center, left and right? What main setting are you using?
Since I used to own a Permagreeen Ultra--maybe it is slightly different on the Magnum. Do you have photos of inside the hopper? Do you have the results of a pattern test with percent of coverage for each 12 inch interval?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Member

We just recently bought a PG Triumph and i have had no problems. I have been using the 7foot center back and forth pattern. The only problem i have noticed is that the trim spray is to narrow and seems to come out hotter than the wide spray.

Tags
issues , permagreen , problems , streaking