Register free!

Old 06-15-2010, 03:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Has anyone tried the Turfco Topdresser?
Old 06-15-2010, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Member

i love how one person says this thing is fantastic, while others absolutely hate it.

peter, i have talked to you about this many times, so since you chimed in i have some questions.

anyone else that has used one feel free to answer as well.

1. how does it spread a topsoil/compost blend that is moist enough to clump up and your hand if you squeeze it? screened 1/2 inch minus of course...

2. how does it spread pelletized lime?

3. how does it spread agricultural lime? damp or dry.

4. how does it spread somewhat moist corn meal? NOT cgm. just moist enough to not flow in a large hole tow behind lawn spreader.

5. how does it spread WET compost? i havent found or made any in the last few years that wasnt pretty wet, probably wont find any soon either.

one guy says it wont spread wet materials, others say it does, whats the deal??? im sure im not the only potential sale hinging on these questions!
Old 12-20-2010, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phasthound View Post
I own an Earth & Turf 100SP http://www.earthandturf.com/100sp.htm. It costs a little more, but is a heavy duty machine that can handle the weight (I enlarged the hopper & doubled the capacity) while providing precision control.
You doubled the hopper? Can it handle that? Are the tires big enough? 20 cu. ft. of topsoil is a lot of weight.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidNJ View Post
You doubled the hopper? Can it handle that? Are the tires big enough? 20 cu. ft. of topsoil is a lot of weight.
I use it for compost which is lighter than topsoil. It handles this weight with with no problem as it was designed to top-dress with sand.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-20-2010, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you load it?
Old 12-20-2010, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
How do you load it?
Use a Bobcat if you have one or shovel off the truck.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-20-2010, 11:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you have the Bobcat or the shovel? The first does let you dump, however you need a place to dump and the front loader costs way more than the top dresser. The second requires that the truck is owned, ties it up for prolonged periods, and that work is done in relatively small increments (isn't a truck load about 12ksq ft of top dressing?), When the truck is getting another load, isn't the top dresser and crew idle?
Old 12-21-2010, 08:34 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Do you have the Bobcat or the shovel? The first does let you dump, however you need a place to dump and the front loader costs way more than the top dresser. The second requires that the truck is owned, ties it up for prolonged periods, and that work is done in relatively small increments (isn't a truck load about 12ksq ft of top dressing?), When the truck is getting another load, isn't the top dresser and crew idle?
We use shovels. If you have large jobs to do, the compost can be dumped at the site allowing the truck to get more. As you know there are many sized trucks. If you don't own a dump, you can make arraignments to have compost delivered to your site. As with any job, having the proper equipment makes work easier and more profitable.

Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 12-21-2010, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Member

Two years ago I went to the Expo at Louisville with a bag of cotton burr compost that had at least 30% moisture content. The Earth & Turf 100 sp had no problem at all spreading the compost. The following spring I made my money back and more. Results sell themselves. Last fall sold over a hundred yards on fescue yards. I am sold on the Earth & Turf. I think the Ecospreader markets better and so gets the sales. We also put sides on the 'bucket' to hold more.
I do need to find a better way to load the hopper but it is no big deal. We use a wide shovel. This year we might have a semi-load dumped at our place.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I've used my Turfco Mete-R-Matic for the past 9 months and it can be a real handful at times. In open areas you can walk facing forward but try edging curbing around the house and flowerbeds while walking forward and you're going to crack some concrete. Walk backward to watch wheels on edge and you can walk yourself right into a tight-spot. Obviously these weren't designed for small residential yards. I've only demo'd the Ecolawn for about 10 minutes and really liked it's light-weight maneuverability compared to the heavyweight turfco. Try loading that fat-boy into the back of a pick-up truck with just two 2x8's, not going to happen.
I walked an estimate today and thought life would be easier if I had a Ecolawn because with the Turfco you have to try and get skinny close to everything or else you're stuck coming back with a bucket and shaking the compost around every edge. With the Ecolawn broadcast it'd never be an issue, certainly a lot less work involved. $1800 for a Turfco, better than starting with a $5k machine that just sits there. One thing still holds me back from purchaing the Ecolawn. $5k and I do $5k worth of work, great I broke even & now I want to quit top-dressing. Any chance of recovering my initial investment? Or did I work for nothing because it's not a very common machine that anyone is looking to purchase?
Thoughts, advise?
Thanks- Adam
1.855.COW.POOP
yes, it's really my #
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin16856 View Post
Has anyone tried the Turfco Topdresser?