Register free!

Old 03-09-2011, 02:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The EcoLawn has an 11cuft hopper. At 1/4" depth (their sports field recommendation) that would be 500 sqft. At 4ft/sec (about 2.5mph) and a 6ft spreading width, that would be less than 30 seconds between refills. It sounds like someone would be very busy with a loader keeping it full.
Old 03-09-2011, 03:01 PM
LawnSite Member

Keeping any topdresser full is the challenge no matter the brand. Neither Ecolawn or the SP100 are designed for sports fields they were designed to do residential yards that are small tight spaces. If you want to do football fields buy a bigger unit. That being said it can be done it's going to take awhile. I guess I will find out next month I have a football field scheduled.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2011, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncaHeat View Post
Whats the latest on this machine? Anything similar but cheaper on the market?
Yes there is! The Bannerman MTD Power Topper is all metal construction, with chain drive, 5.5 Honda Engine, and a substancial hopper. Also, it retails for under 4000, and is manufacured in Canada. Great Buy.

http://www.sportsturfmagic.com/Produ...wertopper.html
Old 07-06-2011, 02:02 PM
LawnSite Member

The Bannerman only carries 6.3 cf you will need to fill it all the time. The Eco lawn carrys twice as much.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2011, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

After seeing the photo, I would say it is over priced. Carries too small of a load, looks top heavy, hard to maneuver and is of light weight construction compared to both the EcoLawn & the Earth & Turf self propelled models.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 08-11-2011, 12:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have been using the Ecolawn this season and it for sure will deliver. the compost has to be somewhat dry - meaning you can't grip it an have water coming out - like still steaming would be good. I also spread massive amount of green grade (cut) humus and the eco lawn is awesome it will spread 400 pounds at a time in under 2 mins over 10,000 sq ft. It is a spreading machine. very light weight and easy to use. BUT you do have to know how to use a wrench and how to lube up bearings and tighten up bearings. Probably 50% of the bearings that cam on my machine (new) were loose (no loc tight). They wer good to work with and always called me back to walk me through it. But really you just have to be prepard to spend some time with the manual and fix it. So far so good, it has paid for itself over and over and over and over and over again now so it is worth the investment if you have the clients. keep in mind we build our business blowing stuff out of wheel barrows with a back pack blower for 5 years and now we are just getting really, really - I mean really dirty spreading 400 pounds of humus in 2 mins - I'm talking pinning down my pants over my boots with elastic bands and I STILL get BLACK socks. Dusty is an understatement - Say pig pen x 100. But it quick and get her done.

I like the fact the unit is out in front of you and you can see if the product is bridging in the hopper (just bounce it) or actually stick your hand in there and push it down. So you know if your spreading is effective. I love it - especially the weight. It for sure will do athletic fields I have spread 20 yards of compost in 4 hours and spread 2700 pounds of humus in 45 mins. I have two atheletic fields and it works great. We do have a dump truck that holds about 8 yards so we are always loading DOWN into the ecolawn which is a hugh back and time saver. Loading up from a pile or a trailer sucks.

Hope this helps and those of you who are crying about the price should just get a big backpack and blow out of a wheel barrow until you have the business and are used to the hard way and then you will be sooooo happy to have an ecolawn and not be bitching about price - good stuff costs.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 AM
Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot James View Post
I have been using the Ecolawn this season and it for sure will deliver. the compost has to be somewhat dry - meaning you can't grip it an have water coming out - like still steaming would be good. I also spread massive amount of green grade (cut) humus and the eco lawn is awesome it will spread 400 pounds at a time in under 2 mins over 10,000 sq ft. It is a spreading machine. very light weight and easy to use. BUT you do have to know how to use a wrench and how to lube up bearings and tighten up bearings. Probably 50% of the bearings that cam on my machine (new) were loose (no loc tight). They wer good to work with and always called me back to walk me through it. But really you just have to be prepard to spend some time with the manual and fix it. So far so good, it has paid for itself over and over and over and over and over again now so it is worth the investment if you have the clients. keep in mind we build our business blowing stuff out of wheel barrows with a back pack blower for 5 years and now we are just getting really, really - I mean really dirty spreading 400 pounds of humus in 2 mins - I'm talking pinning down my pants over my boots with elastic bands and I STILL get BLACK socks. Dusty is an understatement - Say pig pen x 100. But it quick and get her done.

I like the fact the unit is out in front of you and you can see if the product is bridging in the hopper (just bounce it) or actually stick your hand in there and push it down. So you know if your spreading is effective. I love it - especially the weight. It for sure will do athletic fields I have spread 20 yards of compost in 4 hours and spread 2700 pounds of humus in 45 mins. I have two atheletic fields and it works great. We do have a dump truck that holds about 8 yards so we are always loading DOWN into the ecolawn which is a hugh back and time saver. Loading up from a pile or a trailer sucks.

Hope this helps and those of you who are crying about the price should just get a big backpack and blow out of a wheel barrow until you have the business and are used to the hard way and then you will be sooooo happy to have an ecolawn and not be bitching about price - good stuff costs.
How long have you been using it?
Toll Free (844) 266-9375
Certified Soil Foodweb Advisor
"Products, Service and Support for Ecological Land Care"
Old 08-12-2011, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Since early March. We top dressed about 75 yards with compost and top dressed about 100 yards this summer with humus (greens grade - 70% ++ HA - rate about 60 to 80 lbs per 1000 sq ft) - So barefoot properties are loaded/with goodness and we have seen lots of improvements already with brown patch and looking for really good improvements with germination for fall seedings. We are also spraying endomaxima mycorrhizae so every 1000 sf is getting about 50,000 spores (50 spores per sf). we are pretty excited about the yards that have been in our control for the past 4 to 5 years. They are getting stronger and stronger.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Awe Jim!! I was going to get you one of these for your birthday

http://www.tycrop.com/turf/tycrop_tv.html
Old 08-13-2011, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you keep it filled?