Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-14-2010, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Other-Side View Post
Not trying to change the current conversation going on here, just thought I'd give my experience. I have run both walkers and navigators and like the navigators better. When you let employees run these machines the navigator is way more durable and forgiving. I'm not saying my employees are rough on our machines, but when you run one every day you know if something doesn't quite sound right. My employees do not always pick up on these very subtle sounds like I may. Typically these little sounds can turn into big nightmares on these machines. With a lot less parts and things to mess up the navigator has been much better in this aspect. My most expensive bill for a fix on a navigator was just under $400 for some gearboxes and a few other little things. My walker fixes have been over $1000 more than once. Both were purchased and serviced at the same dealer.

As mentioned before, there are only 13 grease fittings on the navigator vs. 31 on the walker. Overall, not just greasing, the navigators have much less to maintain.

Both mowers put down equally beautiful cuts on zoysia and bermuda. However my navigator because of the deeper deck can cut tall fescue at 4" and leave no stringers behind. The walker 3", and there are always stringers left behind.

As far as weight is concerned, the only issue I have ever had is on some of my lawns there was a little rutting on our clean up pass in some areas. I had my walkers before my navigators and the walkers rutted then just as much as my navigators do now. A couple hundred pounds has made no difference on my lawns.
Great post...well said!
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 02-14-2010, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Other-Side View Post
I have been forced to pay more for Walker parts than Exmark so far.
My Walker prices are higher than eXmark - parts and the initial purchase as well. As we get into 2010 season I will have a good record of both, and be able to tell how they stand up. However, the eXmark does seem to be somewhat less cost to maintain - will see as time goes on.
Old 02-14-2010, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

My Navigator has had less than 250$ in parts besides the normal maintenance. And there was about 500+hrs in that time period. 1.5 seasons

My E-450 Dovetail Van project thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351062&page=7
Old 03-07-2010, 06:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I owned a walker and hated it, Very poor dealer support and manufacturer support. Clogged in wet grass, deck was weak. I looked at the exmarks recently and they addressed the issues that walker has. Did not get the chance to actually demo one, but upon inspection of the machine would be willing to give one a shot. The deck is heavier and deeper , has adjustible baffles to aid with recycling and wet grass. controls and nicer has nice corner wheels.. Just everything about seems to have been built and designed better and higher quality. I lost alot of time and money with the walker between waiting on parts when it went down , which was often and I sold it with 250 hours on it, and waiting for the dealer to get around to fixing it which was several weeks each time. and I could not get any support from the manufacturer so I went to companies I could rely on both them , their dealer support and manufacturer support..
Old 04-12-2010, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've been wondering this as well. Never used a walker but my buddy has a navigator we used on 60 residentials and I cannot say enough about them. Looks like I need to use a walker! I only have 13 accounts so my walk behind will have to do until I can afford one but I cannot wait because they make the yards look 1000 times better.

What is a good amount of hours for one of these used??? How many hours is getting to be too much? Just wondering...
Old 04-12-2010, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Member

thank you all for your imput on this thread, I hve been looking around and getting quotes from my local dealers and i think i going to go for a walker mtghs 26efi with a 42 ghs deck and some dump bins i can get that for about 300$ less than a 20 hp navigator with a 42 inch deck and no dump bins. have to go but will write about my experiance when i get it and let you all know my thoughts.
Old 05-02-2010, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Chad Little John Deere Landscapes in Maine has been selling the 20hp 48" Navigators for about $8900 new. Bought one last Oct for $8400 and another one a few weeks ago for $8900. He bought a trailer load and has been blowing them out at a great price. He sells both Walkers and Navi's but swears on the reliability of the Exmarks. Says he repairs an awful lot of Walkers but never sees the Navi's in for service. I'm hooked on the Exmark Navigator.
Old 05-02-2010, 08:03 AM
LawnSite Member

I am back into the Navi this year.. had both the Walker and the Navigator at the same time.

The eXmark dealer is closer, and the repairs have been less money. Not sure if the dealer is more knowledgable, the prices on parts are better.. it is easier to repair.. or what. But the bills I went through with account show the Navigator as a better profit margin. So.. I just sold the Walker (well one still at my shop to be picked up) and am now only running the eXmarks.