Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-07-2009, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflasch View Post
I found these videos on YouTube, from an Exmark Dealer in Ohio.
He compares the Navigator to a Walker, and a lot of the things he says makes good sense! There are 4 parts to this entire 28 minute video. Please watch all 4 parts before making comments.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePLUolNGItA
I found the video to be very one sided , as you'd expect being an Exmark dealership. The Walker has many benefits over the Navigator that they chose not to mention.

I now see why the Nav. is heavier.

I listen to sales people about the facts but when it comes down to claiming that there product is better, I don't listen so much. They do not use the machines like we do. If they are lucky, they get to demo it for someone for a short while.

I looked at both since I have both dealerships close by. Do I think that the Nav. is a good machine? Yes. But when it came down to it for me, the Walker won hands down.
Old 11-07-2009, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You are correct... it is one sided, but like I said, there is some good information to it. You can actually see why the Navigator weighs what it does... a lot of thick tubular steel etc. etc.

I'm not saying that it is better than the Walker, but it's nice to see how it's made, and why it's different.
Old 11-07-2009, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pflasch View Post
You are correct... it is one sided, but like I said, there is some good information to it. You can actually see why the Navigator weighs what it does... a lot of thick tubular steel etc. etc.

I'm not saying that it is better than the Walker, but it's nice to see how it's made, and why it's different.
Yeah, for sure. it was interesting
Old 11-10-2009, 11:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

well

what i'd like to see, is a walker dealer do a similar video comparing their walker machine to a navigator.

I think it's fair to say that if you told them they couldn't say anything about how walker offers a side discharge deck, how walker offers a high dump, how walker offers xxx attachments if you take the deck off, the rest of the video would be walker showing you how their competition makes a better mower.

I mean, what are they gonna say? "Here at Walker, we have so many lubrication points, you can just forget about them because you guys probably don't even grease the caster wheels", or "Our competition uses much heavier duty frame work and components, for longer life and less failures, but according to a couple guys on lawn site, it's much better to have our cheaper, modular frame components and deck because the Navigator is so heavy, you can't use it, even though if you compare a walker running the kubota diesel motor vs a navigator, it's the same weight."
Old 11-11-2009, 12:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

"""""what i'd like to see, is a walker dealer do a similar video comparing their walker machine to a navigator.""""

That was the same thought I had just the other day....I actually would like to see it too, hell why not? If they left out the extra crap the comparison would be interesting to see.

Hell, even one of the guys on this site should make the video! I'd watch it.

My E-450 Dovetail Van project thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351062&page=7
Old 11-11-2009, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallimeca View Post
what i'd like to see, is a walker dealer do a similar video comparing their walker machine to a navigator.

I think it's fair to say that if you told them they couldn't say anything about how walker offers a side discharge deck, how walker offers a high dump, how walker offers xxx attachments if you take the deck off, the rest of the video would be walker showing you how their competition makes a better mower.

I mean, what are they gonna say? "Here at Walker, we have so many lubrication points, you can just forget about them because you guys probably don't even grease the caster wheels", or "Our competition uses much heavier duty frame work and components, for longer life and less failures, but according to a couple guys on lawn site, it's much better to have our cheaper, modular frame components and deck because the Navigator is so heavy, you can't use it, even though if you compare a walker running the kubota diesel motor vs a navigator, it's the same weight."
well said sir
Old 11-11-2009, 07:30 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I would also be interested in seeing this.
11 years experience
www.standforstrength.com
Old 11-11-2009, 09:52 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallimeca View Post
a couple guys on lawn site, it's much better to have our cheaper, modular frame components and deck because the Navigator is so heavy, you can't use it, even though if you compare a walker running the kubota diesel motor vs a navigator, it's the same weight."

I did not say you could not use a Navigator, I said if you do the finish cut would be inferior. 200 LBS MAKES A DIFFERENCE!
I would not buy a Walker with a diesel either , because 200 LBS MAKES A DIFFERENCE! Light weight mowers leave less tracks, now that we understand that you can continue with your rant about how exmark builds a better product and I will continue my sh*t grin every time I see how my walker leaves a better finish cut than the Exmark . With two years use I have zero breakdowns.............hmm, must be that inferior build quality! I wish I could say the same about the Exmarks I owned, all three making good use of Exmarks warranty!
Old 11-11-2009, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Walker came up with this design concept in the first place (obviously). The fact that the design has been mirrored say's alot about the Walker. I like that the Walker was designed thirty years ago with minimal change... no nonsense.

Does Exmark make a better version? I'm sure that they think so. I'm sure at the end of the day the Exmark is a very good mower. I still went for the Walker. I am a 1-2 man operation & I actually like spending some time maintaining my euipment. It gives you a chance to go over the mower & catch potential problems before they let you down.

Aside from the comparisons, I like where I am getting my mower from, a smaller family business (compared to the big companies) that does seem to care. I like that they only manufacture a few lawn mowers designs & that is it.

BTW, I pick up my new Walker tomorrow
Old 11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

since this is both the Walker and Navigator thread, I figured I could get away with posting this here......

What mulches better.....The Navigator with the fill reduction, or a Walker Mulch Deck?

My E-450 Dovetail Van project thread.
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351062&page=7