Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-19-2009, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Honda HR215 Transmission Problem

I have a Honda HR215 hydrostatic push mower that is having transmission problems. I can't get the shift lever to vary the speed, it only goes one speed now, which is really fast. I also can't get the wheels to turn when I pull and go backwards. I checked the fluid and the throttle cable to make sure it was working, which it is. What should be my next steps to diagnose this problem? Thanks.
Old 10-29-2009, 04:48 PM
LawnSite Member

Hi Hannzo, I've attached some information from a service manual on the the HR215 Hydro, I'm not that familiar with the HR215 but hope the information will help. TC
Jeremiah 29:11
Attached Images
File Type: pdf HR215 hydro.pdf (267.6 KB, 1309 views)
Old 11-17-2013, 06:36 AM
LawnSite Member

HR215 Trans Problem

My HR215SXA with hydrostatic trans just started acting up yesterday. When engaging transmission, it goes a few feet and then stops. I adjusted both the drive and gear cables to no benefit. I took off the plastic cover, the drive shaft is turning, but no power out.

Both levers have splines on them and best I can tell it looks like there is no play.

I have never even thought about changing fluid in this trans. I have two of these units, both 10 years or older. But they are fabulous machines. A new trans is more then 1/2 what I paid for the unit, would love to fix this at minimal cost.

Brian Randall
gypsumguy@gmail.com
Old 11-17-2013, 12:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Go look up this on youtube, there are a lot of people that have repaired that tranny for you tube. I thought about buying one for a while then i got my brand new condition 160 series for like $80 which I could not say no to.
It is very important for you to post your results once the problem is solved so that people will be able to reference a solution to their problem down the road. YEARS may go by and someone has the same problem PLEASE POST YOUR "IT WAS FIXED WITH x SOLUTION.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrandall View Post
My HR215SXA with hydrostatic trans just started acting up yesterday. When engaging transmission, it goes a few feet and then stops. I adjusted both the drive and gear cables to no benefit. I took off the plastic cover, the drive shaft is turning, but no power out.

Both levers have splines on them and best I can tell it looks like there is no play.

I have never even thought about changing fluid in this trans. I have two of these units, both 10 years or older. But they are fabulous machines. A new trans is more then 1/2 what I paid for the unit, would love to fix this at minimal cost.

Brian Randall
gypsumguy@gmail.com
Share the serial number off the back of the mower deck with me, and I can look up and post some troubleshooting. It should look somewhat like this:

FYI, the SXA was the gear-drive model. The HXA is the hydrostatic one.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.