Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-09-2002, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Engine Repair

I have a 20 HP Onan on a Ingersoll Tractor. The engine surges badly. I am told to clean the carb. I have tried to remove the carb and it seems like a major job. Is this my problem? Is there and easy way to remove the carb on this engine? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 05-10-2002, 12:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

you can get surging from loose or worn linkage from the gov to the carb also. Also a lean adjusted carb. Try to adjust the main jet out (richer) to solve the problem. If that don't do it and the linkage is tight then you'll probably have to rebuild the carb. I would say if you don't want to tackle the removal of the carb then for sure don't try to rebuild it. Get a price from your local shop for the repairs. Good luck.
Old 05-10-2002, 10:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Try using an in-tank carb cleaner. Gumout is a big brand name. If this doesn't work, take the hit and have a pro look at it.
Old 05-13-2002, 10:44 AM
LawnSite Member

Further information on Onan Problem

I probably need to explain further. The engine surges only at low speeds. Run great a full throttle. The engine has 950 hours on it. I have tried to adjust the mixture with no results. I started to look into removing the carb to clean it. I have rebuilt a few carbs in the past. On the Onan engine, it has a manifold that is set down into the engine. It appears that much of the engine covers have to be removed to get to the carb mounting bolts. I am wondering if anyone has worked on an Onan engine and if there are any tricks to removing the carb.

Thanks,
Old 05-14-2002, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

There are no tricks. The hardest part of any job is to begin. Go for it.
Old 05-14-2002, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Member

Don't take it off, just take the top off, and you can clean anything you need to clean without taking it off. I have never taken a carb. off a Twin Opposed Briggs engine to clean it and they are basically the same set up. I have done a few Onans but you don't really see that many. When you get the top off just take an empty bottle of some sort that you can attach a small hose to. Draw the fuel out of the carb. by squeezing the bottle and sticking the hose into the fuel in the bowl of the carb. Use a small wire, carb. cleaner and compressed air to clean the passages. Later Butch