Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 PM
weed wacker 2 weed wacker 2 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 204
How is everyone planning for retirement?

What are you guys doing for retirement? I am only 22 but I need to start planning for retirement.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-20-2009, 10:17 PM
JB1's Avatar
JB1 JB1 is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: From the hills of beautiful Southern Indiana
Posts: 5,845
probably will die early, and the wife already said she's putting me under the compost pile, I aint saving no money for her.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-20-2009, 10:29 PM
lawnspecialties lawnspecialties is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Garner, NC
Posts: 2,500
If you are a full-time business owner, I would first suggest a Roth IRA which allows you to deposit up to $5,000/year for a single guy ($10,000 for a married couple). This is NOT a tax-deductible contribution but all the money (including the gains) is tax free upon retirement.

If you want to put away even more, a SEP (self-employment pension) allows you to put away close to $50,000/year and is tax deductible. Of course, all the money is taxable upon retirement.

Find a retirement calculator online and look how $5,000/month grows like crazy over time. If you start in your mid-twenties and stick with at least a full Roth, you'll be worth well over a million at retirement.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-21-2009, 11:24 PM
Roger Roger is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: McMurray, PA
Posts: 5,819
Good for you to begin financial planning. I read an article a few days ago, but can't find it right now about those not prepared financially for retirement. I think those prepared for retirement by age 65 is less than 25%. In other words, the vast majority of people don't have the financial resources needed to take leave from the work force. It is a pitiful situation that so many failed to plan for the day when they want to stop working, but are financially unable to do so.

Regular, systematic contributions -- get started early, keep the contributions going. Work with somebody who knows best how to manage these funds for you. Markets change and most people are not enough interested, or well enough informed to make proper decisions.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2009, 11:46 PM
weed wacker 2 weed wacker 2 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Good for you to begin financial planning. I read an article a few days ago, but can't find it right now about those not prepared financially for retirement. I think those prepared for retirement by age 65 is less than 25%. In other words, the vast majority of people don't have the financial resources needed to take leave from the work force. It is a pitiful situation that so many failed to plan for the day when they want to stop working, but are financially unable to do so.

Regular, systematic contributions -- get started early, keep the contributions going. Work with somebody who knows best how to manage these funds for you. Markets change and most people are not enough interested, or well enough informed to make proper decisions.
Would you invest in stocks or start an IRA. Both would be beneficial I imagine but I am not wanting to invest too much in stocks so soon.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-21-2009, 11:48 PM
JB1's Avatar
JB1 JB1 is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: From the hills of beautiful Southern Indiana
Posts: 5,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by weed wacker 2 View Post
Would you invest in stocks or start an IRA. Both would be beneficial I imagine but I am not wanting to invest too much in stocks so soon.
and why would that be, look at cat, deere, cummins and even ford and look what there stock has done since there low.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-21-2009, 11:49 PM
weed wacker 2 weed wacker 2 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger View Post
Good for you to begin financial planning. I read an article a few days ago, but can't find it right now about those not prepared financially for retirement. I think those prepared for retirement by age 65 is less than 25%. In other words, the vast majority of people don't have the financial resources needed to take leave from the work force. It is a pitiful situation that so many failed to plan for the day when they want to stop working, but are financially unable to do so.

Regular, systematic contributions -- get started early, keep the contributions going. Work with somebody who knows best how to manage these funds for you. Markets change and most people are not enough interested, or well enough informed to make proper decisions.
Would you invest in stocks or start an IRA? Both would be beneficial, however I am not wanting to invest too much in stocks so soon.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-21-2009, 11:51 PM
weed wacker 2 weed wacker 2 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 204
[QUOTE=JB1;3241954]and why would that be, look at cat, deere, cummins and even ford and look what there stock has done since there low.[/QUOT

This is true.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Roger Roger is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: McMurray, PA
Posts: 5,819
WW -- your questions are exactly why an adviser is needed. There is MUCH, MUCH more to the story than just choosing stocks over an IRA. Everybody's needs, goals, and resources are different. One answer to that question might be right for one person, and wrong for 99 others, or visa-versa.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-22-2009, 01:49 AM
topsites topsites is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 21,677
...
You can invest in stocks AS an Ira...

I'm not sure exactly how it works, but I do know it can be done.

It's also more to the story than just picking a stock...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnspecialties View Post
If you are a full-time business owner, I would first suggest a Roth IRA which allows you to deposit up to $5,000/year for a single guy ($10,000 for a married couple). This is NOT a tax-deductible contribution but all the money (including the gains) is tax free upon retirement.
I ain't never heard of that, it might be tax deferred but there ain't no such thing as a free ride.
So before anyone makes a choice they might later regret, I would second the recommendation of speaking with an adviser / accountant.

Last edited by topsites; 10-22-2009 at 01:56 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:29 PM.

Page generated in 0.10250 seconds with 7 queries