Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-21-2009, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Domain name questions

When getting a domain name is it a good idea buying all of them. I mean buying .com, .org, .net, and so on??? Thanks
Old 10-21-2009, 06:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

My vote would be no. It depends a little on how you see your future. If you have thoughts that might lead to needing more than one website getting both the .com and .net might be worth while but as far as .everything to me it would be a waste of money. I can't see much benefit to buying a name so someone else can't get it, at least in the case of a landscape operation where someone with a similar name will likely be a thousand miles away. Lets see what some of the others have to say about it now.
Old 10-22-2009, 12:07 PM
LawnSite Member

I think it is worth it, Then you redirect them all to the .com it is great for seo, Also try to keep the name of your website, memorable and easy to remember.

John Aljaz
713-825-8895

Pressure Washing Houston, Power Washing Houston
Old 10-22-2009, 09:51 PM
LawnSite Member

no get the ".com" everyone who won't read your business card with your website on it will use ".com" almost always. Besides its a waste of money buy 4+ domain names.
Old 10-23-2009, 06:02 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to agree with flightkid. I don't think a redirect from names with a .net, .org etc will do anything for search engines. Most people always start with a .com Maybe if they are searching for a school or an organization they will use a .org or .edu but otherwise .com is totally in their mind.

I have a number of names that have redirects but they are all names that someone might logically type in looking for information. There are lots of .endings. Some may never come into use. If they do they will be a long time. I did take a flier on lawns.ws which is one of the domains I have just sitting but I have no real thoughts I will ever use it or it will ever have any value. You could easily spend an extra $ 100 bucks a year that would be better used taking your wife out to dinner.
Old 10-24-2009, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've done it, with another site, for SEO purposes mostly.
Waste of time, and money.

Not to mention it's borderline engine spamming, real borderline.
But mostly just a waste of time and money.
Old 10-24-2009, 02:37 AM
LawnSite Member

Tld's (.com,.net,.org etc..) are going to become a secondary use very soon. Companies will be able to register their own tld's so a company like pepsi for instance will become info.pepsi ... This is intended to cut down on the amount of domain squating and really clean up the interwebs, however it's not going to be cheap. You'll still be able to get regular .com, .net etc... but getting your own .company will be the preferred method.
Old 11-06-2009, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
Tld's (.com,.net,.org etc..) are going to become a secondary use very soon. Companies will be able to register their own tld's so a company like pepsi for instance will become info.pepsi ... This is intended to cut down on the amount of domain squating and really clean up the interwebs, however it's not going to be cheap. You'll still be able to get regular .com, .net etc... but getting your own .company will be the preferred method.
your part right but the cost to get your own tld will be in the hundreds of thousands so no company will be doing it.

someday there may be a .lawns but only a millionaire could start that up.

btw for those interested I own mowing(dot)org and it's coming up for sale in about 10 days at a domain auction.

Domaining is something I do as a second business and am in touch with top pros around the world.
echo trimmers and blowers
lawnboy 20"
chevy silverado
16' trailer
2 employees
1 wife
Old 11-06-2009, 09:37 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowingsite View Post
your part right but the cost to get your own tld will be in the hundreds of thousands so no company will be doing it.
It won't be in the hundreds of thousands but more ~10-30k mark. Still out of reach for most businesses however.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey.hill View Post
It won't be in the hundreds of thousands but more ~10-30k mark. Still out of reach for most businesses however.
The evaluation fee is 185,000 USD and is required from all applicants (non-refundable btw) and then you have to have in place all the systems to run a tld for several years to be accepted which is a few hundred thousand for staff and computers etc. plus a fixed fee of 6,250 USD per calendar quarter on top of all that.

and...if someone else wants the same tld you have to bid against each other to get the rights.

There will be fighting for tlds like .golf and .NYC
echo trimmers and blowers
lawnboy 20"
chevy silverado
16' trailer
2 employees
1 wife

Last edited by mowingsite; 11-06-2009 at 10:17 PM.