Register free!

Old 10-21-2009, 08:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

XCU = same as PCSCU (slow-release fert)

Got a call from a fert rep today. Said "XCU" is the same thing as "PCSCU" slow-release fert. Fert manufacturer = EC Grow (Eau Claire, WI). I trust my fert rep, and he was told by EC Grow that it's all the same stuff. Something about buying out a fert company, just re-named it??

Anybody else hear this? thanks, rscvp
Old 10-22-2009, 12:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will verify tomorrow but-- if I remember correctly, all my bags of XCU(regardless of analysis) also say poly coated sulfer coated urea on the bag. Either way I really am happy with it.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

From what I know it is not the "same" product but the next generation of SCU. An improved version so to speak. I am sure some one else will chime in and tell me if that is accurate.
Old 10-22-2009, 11:40 AM
LawnSite Member

XCU is just another poly coated slow release product. their are many on the market with similar properties. XCU is produced by Agrium which is a one of the largest manufactures of coated urea. Most blenders (like EC Grow) buy their slow release from companies like Agrium and rename it. This is very common. The Anderson's buy XCU and rename it NS-54, EC Grow calls it PCSCU. Then there are some companies like Spring Valley that use the actual name XCU. Either way all slow release products only come from a few different manufacture's. Agrium is just one of them. The blenders will then negotiate the best price, rename the product, then tell you its the newest greatest thing since sliced bread.

www.agrium.com
Old 10-22-2009, 10:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Looked at the label for xcu said it was a scu but down the label it said double coated poly so that's pcscu looks the same to me
Charles Cue
Old 10-23-2009, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks very much CHARLES CUE - We order in truckload quantities (22 ton at a time), so knowledge like you have provided is extremely helpful. Have a great day, Larry
Old 10-24-2009, 03:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

this may be of some interest
Attached Images

Old 10-24-2009, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I used some last year. From Spring Valley of Wisconsin. I thought the particles were harder--more durable. The particles were green.
Old 10-24-2009, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

So how do you guys feel it compares to standard scu? I understand the theory..just wondering what the real worls results have been.
Old 10-25-2009, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

XCU has a harder shell

XCU prills do not crack as easily compared to most SCU granules. This would explain why we often see some XCU prills the following (early) spring.

Two things we've noticed with XCU compared to SCU regarding our Spyker spreaders:

1) The agitator pins (in the bottom of all Spyker spreaders) wear down much faster compared the SCU. The "pins" become shorter faster, and develop a very sharp point.

2) With our ride-ons, the impeller fins wear down more quickly (at the ends) compared to SCU. (Impeller speed is greater on ride-on's compared to Spyker 288 push spreaders).

No big deal, cuz both of the above are reletively inexpensive and easy to replace.