Register free!

Old 10-25-2009, 08:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree Larry--the XCU particles seem harder. Slightly abrasive. Almost hard as stone. They spread nice.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Here's a pic of the label of the 44-0-0 XCU fert we're currently using. The ingredients sound "cheap" (like me) , but the results & spreadability are very nice. The prills are white & light blue in color.

Note who is advertising just above this post.
Attached Images

Old 10-27-2009, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So larry that fert is a 100% xcu how much do you apply per th
Charles Cue
Old 10-28-2009, 05:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

3 lbs per K. Sometimes a little more on clay soils/thin areas. Roughly 1/ 1/2 pounds of actual N per K.

I remember aplying 46-0-0 urea (no slow) at 4 lbs/K in the old ChemLawn days. (central Iowa)
Old 10-28-2009, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Larry if your putting down 1.5 lbs of n i take it that your putting down a 1 lbs with your spring pre m so are you doing how many apps with xcu
thanks
Charles Cue
Old 10-28-2009, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
3 lbs per K. Sometimes a little more on clay soils/thin areas. Roughly 1/ 1/2 pounds of actual N per K.

I remember aplying 46-0-0 urea (no slow) at 4 lbs/K in the old ChemLawn days. (central Iowa)
Wow!....I know were in different areas...but in the northeast......clay usually requires LESS fert than sandy loam. I cant even put more than .5 lbs of quick at any one time without major runoff issues
Old 10-29-2009, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We offer just 5 rounds (instead of 7 that TruGreen tries to sell around here). We used XCU fert in all apps this year*. Round one was a little less than a pound of actual N. We prefer to apply the most N per app during early fall & late fall (whether it be liquid fert or dry).

*Early fall app (round 4): Ride-ons use (granular) XCU fert + weed spray when needed.....I still remember getting criticized on this site for saying we could "skip" areas with our ride-ons regarding weed spray. But we do.
Small lawns usually are hand sprayed with liquid "weed & feed" (synthetic-organic liquid fert)....Hannay reels w/half inch hose, TeeJet lawn guns, Tuflex 300 gallon tanks in 2500HD Chevy/GMC pickup trucks.

mdlwn1 - Clay lawns here need more fert (especially nitrogen). Soil tests show this. In the spring, we can easily see which (clay) lawns did not get a winterizer fert app. It makes a huge difference in color. turf density, and growth come spring.

Not saying we always do things right, but we try to follow local land grant university guidelines. This is why I enjoy lawnsite.com, cuz I always learn ways to do things better. You two guys raised questions I like to hear, cuz it makes me think if there might be better ways to do stuff. Thanks, Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
Larry if your putting down 1.5 lbs of n i take it that your putting down a 1 lbs with your spring pre m so are you doing how many apps with xcu
thanks
Charles Cue
Old 10-29-2009, 10:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So larry does this mean you put down about 7 lbs of n per year
Charles Cue
Old 10-30-2009, 01:23 PM
LawnSite Member

So are 100% or the prills coated or just 30%? I may buy a pallet and try it out.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

teejet - only 25 or 30 % of the prills are coated, but never any burn or streaking...go figure.

CHARLES - we end up applying about 5 pounds of actual N per year (full program customers). During the spring, the highest amount of N (with pre) has never been more than an 18 or 19% product. We load up on N in the fall so we feed the root system & get carryover the following spring. Nice results, and that's what ISU likes too.

BTW with all the rain we're having this fall, I like some slow-release N, even though some say it's a waste of money. So right now, we're sold on XCU fert. My 2 cents