Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-31-2009, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlwn1 View Post
Wow!....I know were in different areas...but in the northeast......clay usually requires LESS fert than sandy loam. I cant even put more than .5 lbs of quick at any one time without major runoff issues
mdlwn1

Yep I don't have 30 years experience as a super salesman with True Brown, But when I went to school Clay had a high CEC and sand had very little CEC. Sorry but I don't remember anything being said that Clay in West or Mid West was different than the East. However soil profiles are very different one end of a yard to the other. Clay also is famous for run off where sand leaches. I am sure the Tree Huggers would be very up set about applying a lot or heavy of any Fertilizer element to clay soil. There comes a point where the Exchange sites of clay, Sand or Loam can only hold so much and the rest is either run off or leached to non target areas like our water supply. Florida and many other areas, Political correctest now has caused Fertilizer laws that limit the amount of Fertilizer to be applied per Thousand sq ft.

Now the other side of the coin is the agronomics of applying Too much Fertilizer. Besides hurting the environment because you are a fool, you hurt your own bottom line because you never learned any better. But it is too bad that many states give away Licenses in Crack Jack boxes to every fool.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I anit talkin' Florida sandy soils

Here's good stuff from folks in the upper Midwest whom I respect:

http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/e...rf/DG5726.html

Ain't sayin' I've never been to Florida --- heck, my HAWKEYES are usually there every January.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Talked to Agrium Advaned Technologles rep to day he said that XCU poly coating is not the same as others.He said theres is a true poly coating were the others have wax coating. he said poly can mean a lot of differnt things
Just a up date
Charles Cue
Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Here's good stuff from folks in the upper Midwest whom I respect:

http://www.entomology.umn.edu/cues/e...rf/DG5726.html

Ain't sayin' I've never been to Florida --- heck, my HAWKEYES are usually there every January.
Larry

First you better hope your Hawkeyes never have to play the Gators.

What does the link you gave have to do with applying 1.5 pound of Nitrogen per thousand and putting extra Nitrogen on bare clay or thin turf on clay.

I did see in very bold print in that link.

Minimizing the Use of Fertilizers and Pesticides

Are you using this link to prove you are over applying and contaminating the environment??? I do agree a Thick Healthy turf helps our Environment. But you post was to apply EXTRA NITROGEN on clay.

Quote:
3 lbs per K. Sometimes a little more on clay soils/thin areas. Roughly 1/ 1/2 pounds of actual N per K.

I remember aplying 46-0-0 urea (no slow) at 4 lbs/K in the old ChemLawn days.
May I suggest you use Links from TrueGreen since that is all you appear to know.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 11-03-2009, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ric sir,

Bring on those eye-gouging (wink) Gators...
Go Hawks!
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
Husqvarna 125B Blower
PG Magnum
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13
Old 11-04-2009, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Delete Delete Delete

Old 11-04-2009, 09:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Oops

I double checked my facts and then saw Iowa was number 8 down from number 7 last week. So I had to delete my first post where I missed seeing Iowa listed.

I am not a football fan so I don't follow it. But Gators are still Number ONE and have been since pre season. But I am not a Couch Potato, but rather a doer. I have better things to do than watch people kill each other in the name of Football.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/foo...ncaa/polls/ap/

Old 11-04-2009, 06:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Nick Christians help put our nutrient program together, and he knows his stuff. We have very few sandy lawns here. Many lawns have the original loam soil, but most newer lawns now have clay --mostly thanks to home builders that scrape off the farm soil. It's comical to hear folks who move here from other states .... they usually expect some of the greatest soil on earth, but when they move in, they get crappy subsoil, concrete, pea gravel, etc. Nearly all clay soils here mostly lack nitrogen plus several micro's (Mn, Fe, boron, sulfur, copper, Mg, etc). We took soil tests from about 220 properties several years ago. (our liquid fertilizer supplier paid for it).

Regarding the Gators -- I'm not sure if the Hawkeyes are in their league, cuz Florida has so many talented football players. We'll see, and I'm truly concerned when IOWA has to play in the "Shoe" on Nov 14. (Don't tell rcreech this)
Old 11-04-2009, 07:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Regarding the Gators -- I'm not sure if the Hawkeyes are in their league, cuz Florida has so many talented football players. We'll see, and I'm truly concerned when IOWA has to play in the "Shoe" on Nov 14. (Don't tell rcreech this)
Larry

It appears Iowa Football and Iowa Pest Control operators have something in common. Neither measure up to Florida.

Quote:
Nick Christians help put our nutrient program together, and he knows his stuff.

Larry

Maybe Nick Christian should be the one replying about over application and contaminating the environment. Why am I not surprise that someone else puts your program together????

Old 11-04-2009, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i will step in here i am a big football fan.. so if you hawkeyes want some of the gators come and get some.. the sooners thought they wanted some last year and they could hang with the speed of the gators 24-14 well they thought wrong.. the buckeyes thought the same thing that was 2007 that score was 41-14.. any of you want some of the sec lets do it......