Register free!

Old 11-09-2009, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

smell test = good point

Thanks Riggle -- just had one of the guys do the smell test.

XCU: has a slight offensive odor

PSCU: no offensive odor

The PCSCU has a few more "aqua green" granules than the XCU. The pic shown is bad so it probably does not show this difference. Left = PCSCU. Right = XCU.

Today we had some guys use the XCU while others used the PCSCU. I compared the fert buildup on all impellers tonight. No difference. Nobody had to clean their impellers all day long.

Thought about putting each product in a glass of water, but I'm lazy, and I really do not think there would be a difference anyway.

Still wondering if 'bad smell' compared to almost 'no smell' is good or bad? (I'm thinkin' no smell is better??)

Bottom line: We spent $1.70 per bag less for the PCSCU, and it doesn't smell.

Not sure if the Dept of Ag would be interested -- especially after budget cutbacks. (Where is Ronald Reagan when we need him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Larry, this is mysterious. Product looks the same. Sulfer coat is usually yellow. But The Award people must have bought their product from Agrium, but didn't get the rights to use the XCU name. Theirs is "poly coated" and the Agrium is "polymer coated", and claims to have more sulfer. What gives? I wouldn't taste it again. Compare the odor. Dissolve some in water. Wouldn't you like to see the Iowa State Department of Agriculture results on thier sampling and analysis of those products? The results of the state chemist board or whatever body samples fert for true labeling--are they available publically? Online?
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2009, 08:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Bag on the right looks to have more ag grade urea in it, but i dont want to keep beating the prill size drum.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

As far as I know, both are 250 SGN (size guide number) which is standard turf prill size. Spreads better on windy days compared to some of the pre products we have spread during windy springs. Up close, they look slightly smaller than a bee bee.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:40 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Larry,

I always thougth 240 SGN was standard turf size, splitting hairs maybe.

I really like fert that is 210 to 220 get good spreadability and coverage. I am just more comfortable with this.

I have had fert samples come thru the door that we supposed to be 240-250 size but had ping pong balls in them upwards of 280 SGN. and not just one or 2, 25-30% at this size

BTW if you have caking issues on an impeller this time of year you have major issues. Cool and dry usually this time of year no?
Old 11-10-2009, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We had a load of fert this summer that had some "ping pongs" in it. I think it was a 31% - x -x w/30% XCU. Some of the bags had more clumps than there should have been, so I contacted our rep. Found out that lot number was made during very warm & humid weather. The last load of XCU = they sprinkled "oil dry" (floor dry) granules in between each layer of bags......we had never seen this before.

No caking issues to speak of, but we had two days last week with 60% humidity & high temps in the lower 70's. We cleaned impellers each day. Right now, we clean impellers about every 3 days just to make sure we get proper overlap. BTW every spreader we use is a Spyker.

Still wondering if bad smell means poor quality? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
Larry,

I always thougth 240 SGN was standard turf size, splitting hairs maybe.

I really like fert that is 210 to 220 get good spreadability and coverage. I am just more comfortable with this.

I have had fert samples come thru the door that we supposed to be 240-250 size but had ping pong balls in them upwards of 280 SGN. and not just one or 2, 25-30% at this size

BTW if you have caking issues on an impeller this time of year you have major issues. Cool and dry usually this time of year no?
Old 11-10-2009, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

The only smell that I have ever noticed was on some lesser organic products or if an SCU product got wet it smelled a bit. We also noticed that MESA ferts if they get wet in the bag smell awful, very ammonia like and could be so bad it made you eyes tear.

As far as not getting wet and smelling, I think each manufacturer has a distinct odor to it. Not that it is bad, or pungent, just a smell distinct to that manufacturer.

I pay more attention to dustiness, clumps, SGN and my favorite; pallet bits that end up in the bags.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks - I was wondering. The XCU odor isn't ammonia - it's more like something rotten (but it's only a slight odor).

Every fert product we get from EC Grow has been clean. Very little dust, no stones, chunks of wood, etc. Just pure granules. Over past years, we used to buy from Scotts and then LESCO -- both occasionally had stones & chunks of wood. Probably what they swept off the floor.

Thanks for your advice, americanlawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf hokie View Post
The only smell that I have ever noticed was on some lesser organic products or if an SCU product got wet it smelled a bit. We also noticed that MESA ferts if they get wet in the bag smell awful, very ammonia like and could be so bad it made you eyes tear.

As far as not getting wet and smelling, I think each manufacturer has a distinct odor to it. Not that it is bad, or pungent, just a smell distinct to that manufacturer.

I pay more attention to dustiness, clumps, SGN and my favorite; pallet bits that end up in the bags.