Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-21-2009, 11:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Still have problems 48 Bobcat WB

In reference to my earlier thread about the mower not pulling up an incline
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=291718

I replaced both drive belts and the serpentine belt. The belt from under the motor to the top of the deck....I,m not sure what it is actually called, but could that be the problem? I was told the trans is shot
Old 10-22-2009, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Does the trans make any noise when it slips ?

While watching the drive axle shafts engine running, Do they stop moving when it slips ?

Can you put the trans in high gear and push it with the engine off ?

I call the engine to deck belt a deck drive belt, One that goes across the deck only I call a cross belt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MannsLawnService View Post
some times the man in my mirror isn't so smart...
"Why go out preserved when you can go out beat up, worn out, sliding in sideways screaming, Holy Sh!t What A Ride" !!!
Old 10-22-2009, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohpoepoe View Post
In reference to my earlier thread about the mower not pulling up an incline
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=291718

I replaced both drive belts and the serpentine belt. The belt from under the motor to the top of the deck....I,m not sure what it is actually called, but could that be the problem? I was told the trans is shot
So you replaced the belts on each side that go from the trans to the wheels and the belt that goes from the engine to the mower deck?

What about the belt that goes from the engine to the transmission? Should be the first place to look if both sides are losing power.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

I am not familiar with a Bobcat 48, is it actually a gear drive trans with 4 or 5 speeds or one of the variable speed jobs? The gear drive is more or less a positive drive, meaning no slippage as I would define it. The gear drives will jump and chatter when the shifting keys or other internals are worn out. I have never run one of the older non-hydraulic vari-speeds so I don't know what they do when worn out. Irregardless of trans type the first thing you need to do is to quit guessing what is slipping and simply look when it stops. Remove enough guards so so can see the wheel belts and the horizontal drive shafts that run them to each wheel. Find a hill to climb and run it 'till it stops then look down at the drive. Are the drive shafts turning? If so then your problem is with the wheel belts, sheaves or springs at each wheel. If the horizontal wheel drive shafts stop then it gets a little more complicated as you cannot see the trans input shaft to know if it is stopping outside of laying on your back. One way to tell if it is the input belt slipping is it will pull a slope better in lower gears. Place it in a high speed range and find a slope that will stop it then shift down into 1 or 2. If it pulls up the grade then it is likely the trans input belt that is slipping. On ours the transmission needs to be pretty snug for it to pull me or the boys around. You must be careful though about over tightening it as that will take your trans input bearing out pronto. If the trans input belt is tensioned with a spring then it likely needs replaced, ours are tightened with a bolt, no spring. On all your drives sheave condition is important. Worn sheaves don't pull and eat belts. If the unit is old enough that it has single wheel belts then you have a probem that will never be totaly solved, all current models have double belts because of slippage problems. We tried hardware store belts on the wheel drives and quickly went back to OEM notched belts, there is a difference.

'bout all I can think of to help.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

This is a belt driven unit.
Restorob
When both handles are out[as in walking w/ the mower] there is a noise coming from the trans. When both handles are pulled in[as in stopped] the noise stops. When I stop forward motion, the drive axles stop.
Pugs
Both drive[wheel] belts were replaced but the belt from the engine to the deck looked ok and is tight.
I,m going to check again this evening. Thank you for the replies
Old 10-22-2009, 01:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveohpoepoe View Post
This is a belt driven unit.
Restorob
When both handles are out[as in walking w/ the mower] there is a noise coming from the trans. When both handles are pulled in[as in stopped] the noise stops. When I stop forward motion, the drive axles stop.
Pugs
Both drive[wheel] belts were replaced but the belt from the engine to the deck looked ok and is tight.
I,m going to check again this evening. Thank you for the replies
Ok the belt from the engine to the deck has NOTHING to do with the drive. I am asking about the belt that goes from the engine to the transmission. Is that belt in good condition? Is it tight? If you have problems with BOTH wheels, generally its this belt or the transmission itself causing the issue.

Again belt from engine to mower deck is not part of the equation.
Old 10-22-2009, 01:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Pugs
I will check that one this evening. Not being very knowledgeable on these, should it stand out? As in I should be able to look under the engine and see it. Thanks
Old 10-22-2009, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

just look between engine and trans and you will find it.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Who told you the transmission was shot?

NObama '08
NoMoreObama '12
Well, I hope everyone is happy now.
Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Member

It was a guess. We tightened the trans belt today and seems it will pull a house now. New drive and deck belts and mowing like a champ. Thanks for all the input! I might sell, not sure yet.