Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2009, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

2/4 cycles are not worth taking into the dealer when they are out of warranty. If we can't fix them we just sell them as not running on craigslist or ebay and buy a new one and move the older of the blowers on that truck to back up. unless it already was the back up like in this case. then the back up just becomes the back up.

no way we can spend $200+ dollars to repair a $390 dollar machine and you have to buy new equipment every so often no matter how much you don't want to.

You should see or back up trimmer pile I think there is 12 in there right now some running some not, Most have been scavenged through to keep other machines running or fix triggers or housing etc....

Just figured I would make a post to see if there was any common problems with the 550's that someone knew about that might be like our situation.

This is the first 550 we have had that has went down other then the fuel lines getting holes in them which seems to happen once a year or so, pretty easy fix for that though.

Guess it will be going into the back up/scrap/scavenge pile for the blowers.

Thanks for all the help so far.

check back with me in mid december I may have some non running trimmers and blowers for sale, When i get around to cleaning up the shop.
Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunn's View Post
2/4 cycles are not worth taking into the dealer when they are out of warranty. If we can't fix them we just sell them as not running on craigslist or ebay and buy a new one and move the older of the blowers on that truck to back up. unless it already was the back up like in this case. then the back up just becomes the back up.

no way we can spend $200+ dollars to repair a $390 dollar machine and you have to buy new equipment every so often no matter how much you don't want to.

You should see or back up trimmer pile I think there is 12 in there right now some running some not, Most have been scavenged through to keep other machines running or fix triggers or housing etc....

Just figured I would make a post to see if there was any common problems with the 550's that someone knew about that might be like our situation.

This is the first 550 we have had that has went down other then the fuel lines getting holes in them which seems to happen once a year or so, pretty easy fix for that though.

Guess it will be going into the back up/scrap/scavenge pile for the blowers.

Thanks for all the help so far.

check back with me in mid december I may have some non running trimmers and blowers for sale, When i get around to cleaning up the shop.
I agree with you totally......I worked on 9 Echo trimmers for our business the past two weeks. Each one would have been over $100 and more to fix. The 2 stroke is pretty easy to work. I hang around our local shop on saturday and watch them work on stuff.....it is simply not true that the 4-mix is reliable and it is definitely harder to work on problems. More parts to fail.