Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-29-2009, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlouki01 View Post
I am new to lighting but have taken quite a liking to it. Using my house as a guinea pig I started here..

I have quite a few very large silver maples on the property and some very nice river birch.

I picked up a book by Janet Lennox on lighting. It opened my eyes to using multiple lights on a single object to highlight all of it's features.

My question is I have a huge birch I put one well light and 2 bullets. Looks very impressive. It doesn't seem to need anything else because of the leaf size.

However the maples with the same lighting are in desperate need of something up in the tree to finish it off. I can post some pics tomorrow of the actual trees. In the meantime does anyone have any examples.. picture or drawn of I could rig this up. ( Fyi I understand how the concept and hookup works ) just looking for an idea of bulb type and fixture type.
I have a job coming up and The Arch speced all the downlights (43) to be mounted at 40' If you need some practice, I will hold the ladder?

Eddie
Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

sounds like its time to get that spider lift back in there Eddie.

What kind of trees will they be ? We have a couple jobs where we had to illuminate large areas where we mounted the lunars at the 40 ft area.
Old 10-29-2009, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Eddie, You can let the Architect know that there really is not that much difference in effect between treemounted downlighting at 40' off the ground and at 30' off the ground. There is of course a huge difference in the cost of installation and the amount of risk that the installers will have to cope with.

I have installed extensively at both heights and see no advantage to that last 10' of elevation. In fact, I am in the process of moving all of the 40' high treelights I have in the field down to the 30' level as they require service. The risks and expense of the higher height are just not worth it.

Regards

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 11-01-2009, 07:26 PM
LawnSite Member

James, I think we all can appreciate this. The only exception I have found would be mature pines. Sometimes you have to go high to tuck a fixture into the naturally perfect shrouding and 360 days a year shadowing these great trees have to offer us. Jeremy Sviben
Botanicallighting.com
Old 11-03-2009, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Sviben View Post
James, I think we all can appreciate this. The only exception I have found would be mature pines. Sometimes you have to go high to tuck a fixture into the naturally perfect shrouding and 360 days a year shadowing these great trees have to offer us. Jeremy Sviben
Botanicallighting.com
But those other 5 days they look really terrible!
Old 11-03-2009, 05:59 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Sviben View Post
Botanicallighting.com
95% of the time all we have to work with is pines.. Way to many of the great trees in and around homes were removed via Hurricane Katrina.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

There are pine tree and then there are pine trees!

Our white pines here (not old growth) tend to soar up to between 60 and 100 feet from the ground, with some even taller, and have fantastic trunk and branch structures to work with. These and the Hemlock's provide us with some very cool moonlighting opportunities.

I would love to someday get a job out on Vancouver Island or the Pacific NW USA, and have the opportunity to moonlight from as well as uplight some of the amazing old growth Cedar and Redwood trees. Now those trees are truly remarkable.

(Photo is of a white pine here in Muskoka)
Attached Images

www.integralighting.com

www.facebook.com/INTEGRA.Lighting

Affiliations: IESNA, IALD, IDA, AOLP, LO, MBA
Old 11-04-2009, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

on Mature pines here you wont see any branch structure until much higher (80 ft range. Cant go that high unless you doing merc vapors like 3 other companies are here.