Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-19-2009, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnproslawncare View Post
I'll make a checklist for you to go through. This is all stuff I've had issues and/or all that I can think of.

I'm sure some or all of this is a repeat.

- Check blades (Make sure they are not on the wrong direction
- Check Blade Timing
- Check all chutes for wear and make sure the chute going into the blower from the deck is aligned with the blower intake. (look carefully, My spring broke and it was just sliding along the ground when I lowered the deck from full tilt.
- What height are you at? The decks perform beautiful at 2.5 or less (Personally I don't think any lawn should be at less than 2.5" if you live where tree's drop leaves).
- Check the Screen in the hopper.
- Check for excessive blower wear or holes in housing.
- Is the deck level all the way around? Consult your manual for leveling
One other thing. Check the two vents on the sides of the deck. When mine get clogged I lose suction.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had the exact same problem...one thing to check is the pin on the end of the driveshaft...it can break and cause that...another is that the engine rpms aren't up to speed and it's not having enough power to suck up the leaves properly...in my case my throttle cable and governor spring were all messed up and it took my dealer about 5 minutes to correct the problem and now the thing sucks awesome...if your deck is rattling quite a bit i am betting your rpm's are off...one way to test is it have someone or you sit on the seat to prevent the mower from stalling......turn on the pto...listen to the motor....then lift the hopper up and find the throttle cable...it should be attached to a lever..behind that is another lever on the spring i was talking about move it (that's the throttle)...if the engine gets a lot louder than it was before...you found your problem...these things are quite common and it's an easy fix...sounds like that's your problem
Old 12-21-2009, 04:43 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Somethings definitely wrong. We have 26 hp with 42" decks; they vacuum leaves like a Hoover. Get the Walker dealer to check it out.
Old 12-21-2009, 11:51 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

the fastest way to check rpms is to move the throtle cable to wide open throttle then just loosen the screw on the cable ,this will allow the butterfly to close then pull the linkage to open the butterfly wide open then tighten it all back up . why i say do this is if it is the linkage you jst killed the issue if not you would have had to done this process anyway to got it to move free to the cable that pulled it anyway .......the only other thing to move would be the govener and this is a no no unless you want uncontroled rpms .
Old 12-21-2009, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

now if you reach into the body while its running and pull on the govener and let off and it revs higeher and stays , what is happening is the inner butterfly in the carb is hanging preventing the govenor from being able to rev as needed to accomitate the loads, it will require posible butterfly shaft replacment of a alignment of the butterfly to the ventroli of the carb or a replacemewnt of the carb. we have personally delt with this situation and used a dremal tool to sand the butterfly slightly smaller to prevent it from catching on the neck of teh carb casting .
Old 12-31-2009, 01:12 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

1) either travelling way to fast

2) or your mower is underpowered

There are so many possible issues though, so it is impossible to tell what it could be. The 26hp I use does amazing, so I can't imagine what it would be. Check with your dealer.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Ditch it an use scag!
Old 01-03-2010, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Member

One thing you might look at is underneath the mower. check your discharge chute underneath the mower. If it has a hole or is cracked you will be losing suction before it get to the blower. Also the deck works on a seal if kinda. It has to have a seal from deck to good thick grass.

i will agree with you if you are having to go over a area 3 or 4 times there is something wrong.
Old 01-03-2010, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ck for broken shear pin on shaft or blades.
ck tension on triple grooved belt ( pto) when engaged should be fairly hard a
nd snap into place.
Take off blower belt and spin impellar. Should spin freely if not flush out dirt or debris that is binding it up. or bearing on impellar shaft could be pitted or frozen. I have the same mower as you except mine is a 48" and It sucks leaves in from outside the deck and doesnt leave a crumb most of the time. when I do leaves i always go over leaves once with door open and then i close it and then pick it up. It will hold much, much more that way. Hope that helps along with other input youve gotten
Old 01-03-2010, 11:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have an MT23 with the same problems. Usually in thin grass mostly. My 48" GHS deck definately does a better job than the 42" at suction. That's been cussed and discussed a number of times on LS, and it's agreed that the 42" deck jsut dosn't vacuum as well. I can concur. I used the 42" this past fall because I can get it thru more gates, so I just had to deal with the poor suction by cutting lower (2.25 to 2.5" on the rear pins, 1/2" higher on the fronts).

Everything that's been posted here that could be wrong, is just fine on my machine. Yet there's still a lack of suction. Like I said, the 48" does do better, but it still leaves behind bits of leaves, and the worst part is the leaves it just pushes off the sides (same with the 42") Nothing like having to go over the lawn twice to pick up the rows of leaves left behind... Or overlaping 1/2 the deck.