Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 01-03-2010, 02:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Try moving backwards over the leaves.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have always had better results with the 48" deck over the 42" deck. That being said, I still usually make at least two passes to pick up all the leaves. Here are a few tips that I found are a must when picking up leaves with a walker mower, especially when the grass and leaves are wet:
1.) carry a small stick or rod with you at all times to clean out the vent holes on the sides of the deck.
2.) It helps to have both a large and small screen for the hopper. Make you first passes with the large hole screen to make sure you get the bulk of the large leaf particles, then your next passes with the small hole screen to make sure you aren't just blowing big junks of leaves out of the hopper exhaust.
3.) you have to travel about 1/2 speed to make sure you are giving the deck a chance to clear itself out.
4.) ALWAYS have the front of the deck set at least 1-2 pins HIGHER than the rear of the deck. This improves airflow (which is what the whole point of the vent holes and exhaust in the hopper are for). When airflow is maintained through the deck it will keep the blower running at peak efficiency
5.)When collecting leaves, cut the grass in two different directions!!! A lot of guys will keep driving in the same pattern over a certain area and wonder why they are collecting the large pieces of leaves but not picking up the smaller ones. Example: first collection you cut north and south just like when cutting a normal lawn. Second pass you cut east/west. This forces the grass blades to be drawn different directions with the counter-rotating blades and will release a lot of debris that is otherwise brushed into the grass.

Hope that helps.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Just to add from my experience - in heavy leaves, I leave some shredded leaves in the middle but some mentioned sucking entire leaves up - that just doesn't seem to be the case. I get pulverized, heavily reduced leaf dust (which gets everywhere). I do get the bits that fly out the back, but that's no more than the leaves that keep falling while I'm working.

Any residual can get picked up by making another pass at warp speed if needed.
Old 01-14-2010, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm gonna be using a new leaf mulching knive next season in the spring. It turns leaves to dust!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-16-2010, 01:29 AM
LawnSite Member

get new belts