Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2009, 08:13 PM
LawnSite Member

St. Augustine Sod Webworm

Our St. Augustine turf (Houston) was in excellent shape all summer long after doing significant work. In the first week of October, however, there was a very bad sod webworm infestation to the point that whole sections (15 x 10 feet) were wiped out -- and all you could see was brown thatch because there was no live green grass left.

I took some lawn samples to Southwest Fertilizer (in Houston) and they said to apply bifenthrin, which is a topical insecticide. A week later I applied Bayer Complete insecticide spray at dusk, since sod webworms feed on the grass at night. This seemed to work well, and now the turf is growing back, but slowly since the root structure gets wiped out and also because it's a little cooler now.

In addition, I applied Immunox Sprectracide anti-fungal spray to control some dollar spot and brown patch fungus growth that was occuring.

Last, now that the weather is cooling, we only need to water once a week. In fact, in the South, a trick for having a healthy green St. Augustine turf throughout the winter is to only water once a week.
Old 10-24-2009, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Member

BTW, I applied Bayer complete since it is a "systemic" which gets taken up by the lawn. Any insects that feed on the lawn containing a systemic insecticide will "buy the farm", i.e., die. A topical insecticide such as bifenthrin, is not taken up by the plant, but works by exposing insects to the insecticide that's distributed on the surface of the turf.
Old 10-24-2009, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We have been having a lot of grey spot fungus down here the past 2 months. I have one customer who has it all over his front lawn.
Old 10-25-2009, 08:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Houston had all kinds of things going on in October. Armyworms, Rhizoctonia Brown Patch, lingering Chinch Bugs and Sod Web
worms....and winter annuals are germinating now, too.
Old 10-31-2009, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
We have been having a lot of grey spot fungus down here the past 2 months. I have one customer who has it all over his front lawn.
To say that we have had a lot is a understatement - it has been out of control - i just got called last week to a house out of my normal area - landscaper there had told the guy he had chinch and replaced sod - 3 times - LOL - I went up and there was not a sign of chinch however fungus is rocking it out - soil correction time for that yard

Tags
bayer , houston , sod webworms , st. augustine , winter