Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2000, 09:49 PM
LawnSite Member

we planted a silver maple in our yard 2 summers ago. this spring it got all it's buds and has grown twice it's normal size, but we noticed the top of the tree has died about 4ft. of it and the bottom is still alive. could someone have sprayed some kind of killer like round up and it has affected the tree? also we had 4 big bare spots on our grass that has died also for no apparent reason. any idea's?
Old 05-15-2000, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sue,<br>In my neck of the woods they used to plant silver maples because they are fast growing trees. They found out (as I did) that they are very dirty and have a very aggressive root system which means that they will seek out moisture. Roots in the main drain are no fun. The trunk lifts out of the ground as it gets bigger so any sidewalk or foundation near it lifts too. Its a good tree for the back lots or wet areas but near the residence can be trouble. Saying this, it is possible that someone slipped it a mickey. There are certain chemicals that one cound spike into the tree or spike into the ground that will systemically kill the tree. Check the small dead spots and dig down. You may find remnants. If the stuff had been absorbed you may want to consider 1 cut pruning at the base. <br>Personally I'm not a fan of silver maples but its pretty rotten if a neighbor did this. Red maples on the other hand are a really nice tree to consider. Good Luck.
Old 05-15-2000, 08:54 AM
LawnSite Member

Mow ed, thanks for the help i will check and see if something has been put in the tree or around it.we have 3 25 year old cotton tree's and their root system's are taken over the yard, the nursery where we bought the silver maple told us this one won't do that. i am going to take your advice and i think i will rip it out and put in a red maple.we did cut the silver back thanks again for your help. also have you ever heard of a chemical called raging orange? kill's anything on contact&gt;? thanks again.
Old 05-19-2000, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I haven't heard of raging orange but I have heard of Agent Orange which was a defoilant that they used in Vietnam. Bad stuff. Knocked the leaves off of everything and had lots of bad health effects on the soldiers.
Old 05-19-2000, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The active ingredient in AO was 2,4,D Think about it next time you spray with shorts, short sleeve shirt and no face mask and wonder why your fingers tingle the rest of the day.<p>Bill
Old 05-19-2000, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

ao is 2,4,5,DT and is a different compound than 2,4,d, which 33% of all people who use get cancer. but than agaign 33% of people who wake up in the morning get cancer.<br>i don't think anyone hurt that tree. the root that feeds that limb could have die for many reasons,well beyond 2,4,d. paranoid much?
Old 06-01-2000, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Hello, sorry i got confused on the name. alot of farmers use it out here. and i was told anywhere it is sprayed or in it's path it will kill. and nothing will grow in that area for 5 years. our neighbor in front of us used it, and now we have alot of dead. what exactly is in the spray? thanx.
Old 06-01-2000, 04:06 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

the tree may have been hit by lighting. To save the tree trim out the dead portion. Hope this helps.<p>-Nick
Old 06-01-2000, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I may be completely wrong, but did the tree go through drought stress there last year.<p>Here in jersey, we had a long drought last summer, and I've notice a lot of maples, silver, october glorys, sugar, etc. are not looking too good this year, especially ones in the 4-6 inch caliber range. They really looked bad last year, are coming back now, but don't look good any where near as healthy as they should.<p>Was wondering if you had a dry spell there in colorado also. <p>Just taking a guess, but this could be a reason. Makes sense too, because in a drought, the tree tries to conserve water and energy, so the the top of the tree tends to go first because thats the farthest place and the tree has to work hard to get water there. <p>steveair