Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 04-15-2000, 08:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How do you guys maintain or install for that matter, mulch beds of any size. I have been doing small jobs by hand spade and detailing with a Stihl stick edger. I get a real nice result and customers love it. However; this past week, I rented a bedshaper. Now I've seen the video and heard all about this machine, but it was one of the most difficult machines to maneuver that I have ever used and just getting from a to b was a chore. I did have a few successes that day but all in all I was disappointed.<br>I had one install job that I roughed in with a skid steer and then edged but it was real work. <br>So what are my options? I have not tried the Bed Edger or Trench Master and was told by many salesmen that the Bed Shaper was the hottest thing going. I've seen these Bed Shapers mounted on a Walker and it looks much better than the walk behind version. But I don't own a Walker or Turf Runner that it would mount to.<br>Any suggestions?
Old 04-16-2000, 06:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Tried one of the bed shapers mounted on a grasshopper, it did a good job. You can make nice curves and shapes, and you can really move with it. I thought it was a little pricey but what isn't any more.
Old 04-16-2000, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

THE BED SHAPER IS AVAILABLE AS ITS OWN DRIVEN UNIT NO NEED TO MOUNT ON ZTR, MAY BE BETTER IN YOUR SITUATION
Old 04-16-2000, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The walk behind is what I used.
Old 05-29-2000, 01:02 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been cutting in beds for several years with the same tools as you. I recentaly had a jopb which i rented an e-z trencher and instead of paying the rental on<br>it i bought it great deal. <br>i'll never trench by hand again!!!!!
Old 05-29-2000, 03:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

These edgers that you are discussing are they the type that have a spinning cutter that makes a check mark shaped trence along the edge of the sod and the bed? If they are what I am thinking of, they throw all the debris back into the bed, right?<p>If they throw the finely ground debris back into the bed, do you have problems with the grass starting to grow in the bed? I would think that it could be a problem.
Old 05-30-2000, 09:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

jaclawn:<br>I've still yet to try a bed edger by Trench Master but I have the same concerns that you pointed out.<br>Will try onr in about 2 weeks.
Old 05-31-2000, 10:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

OSC,<p>I bought a bedshaper last year and love it. Just curious what your difficulties were with it? It does take some practice to get the hang of it and trimming beds rather then redefining them is alot harder. When redefining the beds that long strip of sod that just rolls over into the bed is great as far as cleanup time savings. Give me some details and ill see if I can give you some tips or suggestions.