Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-17-2009, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If I were to get a stander it would be the Wright ZK. I demo'd both it and the Grandstand this summer, and I found the ZK was so much better balanced, and handled hills so much better, that even though I like the turbo force deck better on my grass conditions I'd never even consider the Grandstand.

I have a couple weeks left to decide if I'll get one (seasonal discount program), or go with a sitter next spring. Seeing time is passing, and I haven't purchased one yet, I think my decision is becoming apparent.

As far as price comparison between the toro and exmark standers, my contact tells me () Exmarks will always have MSRPs a bit higher, dictated by a Toro merger structuring mandate.

YourSkiCoach.com
Old 11-19-2009, 10:34 AM
LawnSite Member

I have been interested in the Wright ZK and also the Grandstand/Vantage standers. I like the Wright, but its weight is as much as a comparable Z-turn. The 27hp/52" are 1200lbs. A comparable Grandstand 23hp 52" is only 866 lbs. A 336 lb difference. I understand that the Wright is faster and built like a tank, but its weight may be the deal breaker for me. If I were buying it simply for speed, I would go with a Zero turn instead. For hillsides and tight spots I would definitely go with a lighter shorter machine where speed is also not a factor. The ability of the Toro/Exmark standers to transform quickly into a walk behind is a big plus for loading/unloading and transport/storage. The ability to use it as a walk behind mower would not be a factor since the platform would be down 95% of the time in our situation. It has been mentioned on this site that some residential customers are a bit leery of letting a big Zero turn mow their little lawns. I agree, I have been there. It would be easy to sneak a Grandstand on the grass though. I still have not demoed a ZK so the jury is still out for me. I am just leaning a bit toward the smaller Grandstand/Exmark machines at this point based where it will be used and on the specs. I will stick with a rider for the big stuff.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

keep in mind that the ZK is being compared to the grandstand which isn't comparable...if you were to compare the grandstand to a wright it would be the rapid height...the zk is much more expensive and much faster, powerful, etc...i think the zk is too much machine for what we need to so went with the grandstands, great machines but could be tuned up a bit, from what i hear they have basically done that for this next season
Old 11-19-2009, 11:15 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Zk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbell36 View Post
keep in mind that the ZK is being compared to the grandstand which isn't comparable...if you were to compare the grandstand to a wright it would be the rapid height...the zk is much more expensive and much faster, powerful, etc...i think the zk is too much machine for what we need to so went with the grandstands, great machines but could be tuned up a bit, from what i hear they have basically done that for this next season
Good point! The ZK stands for Zero-turn Killer. It was designed to compete with the zero-turn market as a stand-on machine.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i get new info on the vantage this week i will share it once i get it
stihl HH blower
Homelite BB blower
5X8 trailer
Toyota Tundra
Old 11-28-2009, 09:53 PM
LawnSite Member

I bought a 52 grandstand this year. THis looks very similar, by far the best piece of equipment I have ever owned. This thing is baddd. I would recommend one to anyone. The local dealer here is having a hard time moving the ones he has,he says everyone is scared of them. Dont be scared everyone should own one of these badboys. I never want to sit down again.
Old 11-28-2009, 11:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so basically its a Grandstand with an eXmark deck? I really wish there were more eXmark dealers around me.

My Pictures:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=302091
Old 11-29-2009, 06:16 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I think I'm getting ripped off by my dealer!! HAHA!! I like them/and I'm friends with everyone there, but money is money!! I spent $12,500 for my 2007 Exmark 50'' with a 23HP Kawasaki, as a used, demo machine with 150-200hrs!!! I have a suspension seat upgrade ($500), light kit ($300), and operator controlled discharge petal/shoot($250), which were installed when I bought it as the demo...(so that would put retail for that machine at $11,450). I haven't seen the new models yet for 2010, but I know that 2009 was more advanced than the models before... Sounds like I need to buy from somewhere else from the numbers I've seen here... That's some BS!!!!!

25 years old 7 years in business ownership
Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

WOW!!! Yeah I would find a new dealer I bought my new 60"/28HP lazer z in the spring for $8500, it was left over from 2008 but it was brand new and it also had the suspension seat. Sorry to hear that!
Old 12-15-2009, 12:56 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

what decks ya'll prefer, the ultra cut/Triton or the turbo force?