Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 11-02-2009, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Member

Hi everyone real broad question but have a few questions

Hi i live in pinellas county florida, i work for a lawn care company where i hate how my boss runs his business, never wants to pay for real chemicals, our fertizer has like no nitrogen or chlorine and i can go on for days bugt my questions are do you think its to broad to open a business strictly for fertilization-weed control-pre and post emergent herbicide application-fungicide treatments-insect control- i dont really like to get into the shrub care or inside jobs, also when i use to live in farther south florida i worked for scotts where they used Manor for weed control, is there another name for it? I know it worked great on broadleaf weeds, also the isuzu"s that Scotts and Chemlawn use, where do they sell those, is there a website or location anyone can give me? Do you think its very hard to open this type of business and how hard is it to obtain a residential business license?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 11-02-2009, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

GOOD LUCK

It take a 3 years working for a Certified Pest Control company as a card holder tech to qualify to sit for one of the hardest tests in the nation. Then another 3 to 6 months to sign up for the certification test and get your results. If you pass and become Certified, you may then apply for License by presenting all of the necessary paper work including certifies of Insurance.

Most Pest Control companies will require a Non Compete contract that means you can not work in the same area for a certain time period. This generally means you must relocate if you want to start your own company. Not all Pesticide Companies will require a non compete. I never did. Of course once Certified and Licensed you must build a business.

Is it worth the time and effort????? I thought so and even went back to college to get a degree while in my late 50's. Today I make a nice living working part time as a one man band. I make more money from a customer with less effort and expense than the Lawn cutter who must service the same property 4 to 6 times more often. You can work hard all your life or you can work smart.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.