Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 11-03-2009, 10:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I know the guys that bought one of the prototype hurricane blo-vacs (its the blue one in some of the website pics, the guy I know is driving it). The two guys I know, own two of the hurricane blowers, one of the prototypes and one of the regular production models. Their employees told me they wouldn't do a clean-up without one.

I am lucky enought that these units aren't built very far from me. So last year both Rick and Chris met up with me and let me demo the unit for about an hour. I used it in a very large parking lot and it was in the middle of the fall. That unit could seriously blow some leaves. If you had multiple large parking lots to clear, this blower would make short work of it.

Most people who haven't try it will say that it isn't worth it and doesn't look like it would make a big difference. But once you try this unit, you will literally be blown away by it. It's true that it is expensive, but when you have the right jobs, this unit will pay for itself in no time. And the fact that it is also able to be a truck loader, makes it that much more versitile.
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Old 11-03-2009, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have watched the vidios and the down fall I see to the Hurricane blower is that it has a fixed nozzle. You have to turn the machine to get the correct angle, if thats possiable. I have a Buffalo Turbine blower for my Walker and it has a rotating nozzle, 360 deg. Works great on blowing out ditches and any other drop off as long as you can get the nozzel over the edge. There is less turf damage from not having to keep turning the machine around to keep the angle flowing.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

seems like it would be great to have if you could justify the price
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Old 11-03-2009, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

now way is it really 9k! Why would you need to blow them that far anyway? The fastest way to me is just blowing them out where the mower can get to them and vacing them up.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...rricane+blower
^good review on the hurricane blower.
Chevy

www.OakwoodLandscapeConcepts.com
Old 11-04-2009, 10:06 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
Uh.... if you can't figure out how to adjust for that......
Not saying its unjustifiable but If you show up with 2 guys for 1 hour and bill $500 most customers would have a problem with that at least in my area.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 seasons lawn&land View Post
now way is it really 9k! Why would you need to blow them that far anyway? The fastest way to me is just blowing them out where the mower can get to them and vacuuming them up.
I felt the same way. The only problem I'm finding out about is the fact that your handling the leaves multiple times doing it this way. Money is accentual to time but where is the line drawn? It took me quite a bit of time to keep going back to the truck to unload the bags on a large property I maintain. Your still going to encounter cleaning the mulch beds so your walking with a hand held or back pack to clean them, ( I prefer a hand held for easier maneuverability) then you have to run the mower over all of them to vac them up, then take to the truck and manually dump them. If you used a walk behind blower or a ride on, you'll have to clean the beds, then get all the leaves going in one direction, once you have them at the truck, you can vac them up with a loader. I just don't know which is faster. I'm thinking that the bags fill up much faster then you can blow the area clear with a walk behind blower and vac them with a loader. I think it all depends on the size of the property your up against. I'd say less then a acre and it becomes harder to maneuver on the property, plus the way they blow, you'd be blowing them into other properties. It's all about managing the leaves and the property size will dictate what equipment can do the job the best and most efficient way possible. Just some random thought's.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

These are all good points of factor to consider. One thing that I have found - with much experimentation and trial, is that with moderate to heavy leaves, it is actually faster to mulch them first, then vacuum them up. We will unhook the Ultra-Vac belts on the Lazers, and mow over everything. This keeps the stuff trapped and grinds it up better. Then, we go back over and vacuum everything. Now, here's the kicker. We go back directly against our rows when vacuuming. When the leaves get ground up fine on the first cut over the lawn, it leaks the material out in rows. In direction of travel, every other row is rather clean, so when you travel back, you are going down a relatively clean row and are not leaking. the end result - a striped lawn that is clean. Now, the time took to mow and mulch with the chute blocked first is easily outweighed by the time saved of more frequent emptying of the bags because the leaves weren't nearly as mulched up. This, added with so much truck capacity saved because everything packs so well really makes it worthwhile.

Thank you, Dad - for always being the dad that you were. You truly are my hero. You always were.
Old 11-04-2009, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a great machine for large areas with lots of leaves!

The reduction of the leaves would be very beneficial too!

Nice VIDS too!
Old 11-04-2009, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonKYcutter View Post
I have 7 full crews working on our horse farms and other commercial accounts in our area doing leaf removal. Its a nasty job that we hate, but it pays big for us.
You are the right sized operation for that machine. There is no way I could justify the cost with my single crew (me and my helper).

Now if it was under $5K, that would be a different story. Nearly all my cleanups allow us to just blow the leaves into the surrounding woods. That machine would be ideal.

Supah-Duty
Exmark-Gravely-Scag
Stihl-Redmax