Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-03-2009, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Turf Tiger Drive Belt Problems!!

Hope some one can help. I have a Scag Turf Tiger with velocity 61" deck and 35 hp Briggs Vangard. I have run this mower for 3 years without problem, mowing my 10 acres at 2 to 3 inch. It would mow anything even really overgrown lawns without any excessive wear. Then I had it catch on fire. The gas line got wrapped around the drive shaft when a long palm leaf swung around and dragged it in. Luckily I was able to save most of it by dousing it with water nearby. The dealer saw the photos and contacted scag and between them repaired it with minimal cost to me. The gas line hanging like it did off the tank is clearly one of the very few design flaws that scag makes. It is now rerouted up trough the frame where it should have been in the first place.
BUT now that I have it back I am running into this problem with the drive belts. The belt that drives the drive shaft to the mower deck off of the clutch now wears down after one day of mowing. I thought that this was the high grass at first so I replaced it and then mowed the second time with the grass at a normal height. The belt burned up again. I replaced the idler pulley thinking it was a little sharp. I realigned the pulleys to be sure that wasn't it. I tightned the spring a little by moving it to the other position. The drive shaft seems to turn easily and is connected to a new gearbox with oil in it. The bearings are greased and joints greased. So I mowed again and for the Third time the belt burns up. And this time so does the belt that drives the hydrolic pumps. The mower cuts strong until the belt gets so worn that it starts slipping with the spring loose by then...about 7 hours into mowing. What on earth could be causing this????? Please help

Last edited by Maxjasper; 11-03-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I'd want to watch it while it's running to see what is happening. Is the belt shredding or getting stopped and burning/melting through?
Old 11-03-2009, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The deck clutch belt is connects to the clutch and a pulley attached to a spindle housing/driveshaft. If the spindle housing hasn't been greased the bearings could be bad and causing play to wear the belt out. Spring tension could be a reason also. If both belts keep going out I would check the clutch bolt to see if the clutch and pulley are moving around on the engine shaft.

It's pretty simple design. Guessing if a good mechanic takes a look at it they would figure it out quickly.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:53 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, take the whole question down here:

Mechanic & Repair
Old 11-04-2009, 07:49 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Yup, take the whole question down here:

Mechanic & Repair
Dude, are you the LS police now? You trying to do something you can't so you might as well give up.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks... The belts are just wearing out evenly along the sides , as would be normal, but excellerated from new to half there size. At which point the spring will become almost loose. This of corse will cause stalling, slipping and burning. But not until the last hour of the day and then if I stop I have a perfectly worn belt.
Old 11-06-2009, 02:47 PM
LawnSite Member

All of the components have been greased every other use. I will check the clutch for play. I just replaced the springs when I got the mower back. I know I ordered the correct ones by part number. However the springs that were sent were the same for both deck drive and hydro drives.
Old 11-06-2009, 03:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

This may be a silly question but are you using Scag belts?
Old 11-06-2009, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks Yes they are scag belts.
Old 11-06-2009, 06:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Check to make sure the bracket that holds the gear box has not cracked. My mounting bracket did crack causing the gear box to run at an angle under load which caused my belts to burn up and/or just pop off.

Tags
belt tension problems , hydraulic , scag , turf tiger , ztr