Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-05-2009, 09:55 AM
scagmanjosh scagmanjosh is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ville Platte, LA
Posts: 212
Mowing Patterns Type and Frequency?

Hey guys, just wondering what type of mowing patterns and changeups you would recommend for pretty soft ground. Coming from a 400 lb Craftsman mower, I always just mowed a rectangular spiral pattern and never really had the problem of pitting or rutting the yard.

Now, with the 1050+ Tiger Cub, mowing the same pattern has started to leave visible impressions on the softest part of the yard, visible even when the grass starts to get pretty long. What types of mowing patterns do you pros use for softer yards to prevent this? Is the rectangular spiral pattern not recommended, or can it still be used every other mow as long as mows in between I mow at angles or perpendicular to the long tracks?

We are coming off a LOT of rain here in South Central Louisiana, I waited 4 days after the end of the rain to mow, I didnt use the spiral pattern but mowed straight lines at about 45 degree angles in the yard, and it left wheel tracks like crazy. Any suggestions/tips?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2009, 10:07 AM
mowerbrad's Avatar
mowerbrad mowerbrad is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Grand Haven, Michigan
Posts: 6,269
In any soft property a mower like your Tiger Cub will leave ruts. You have to do as many different patterns as possible so you don't keep running over the same spots every week. Doing different patterns with your tiger cub should be easy since it is a ztr. So when you mow mow in different patterns every week. One week mow across the lawn, then next mow up and down, then next mow diagonal one way, and the following week mow diagonal the other way, and lastly you could do your "spiral" design. Then just start from the beginning again.
__________________
'07 Chevy 2500HD
2010 John Deere Z925A 54" MOD
2011 John Deere Quik Trak 647A
John Deere walkbehind
81"x18' trailer
Stihl handhelds
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2009, 10:13 AM
scagmanjosh scagmanjosh is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ville Platte, LA
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by mowerbrad View Post
In any soft property a mower like your Tiger Cub will leave ruts. You have to do as many different patterns as possible so you don't keep running over the same spots every week. Doing different patterns with your tiger cub should be easy since it is a ztr. So when you mow mow in different patterns every week. One week mow across the lawn, then next mow up and down, then next mow diagonal one way, and the following week mow diagonal the other way, and lastly you could do your "spiral" design. Then just start from the beginning again.
Thanks Brad. Thats what I figured. Its a bit of a bummer because I find mowing the outside in spiral pattern is WAY faster than straight line mowing because of much less time spent turning. I'll just have to get used to it though if I dont want a ******ed looking yard.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2009, 10:14 AM
ALC-GregH's Avatar
ALC-GregH ALC-GregH is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: PA
Posts: 7,053
What I've been doing is move over the wide of the tire. It leaves some un cut grass that will have to be cut with something else but it's compacting the soil right on the edge of the other tracks and is evening things out. I also mow in different directions each week. It might be too soft still to use a mower that big. When that's the case, I'll just use my smaller BOP dually.

I've seen commercial lots that have tracks up to 4in deep! Torn up turf down to dirt. Low spots are easy to see, just look for the darker tire tracks. Usually the person cutting rides in the same tracks each week. Then they think it looks good because of the tracks, they think they're striping the lawn when in reality they're making matters worse.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2009, 10:40 PM
STIHL GUY's Avatar
STIHL GUY STIHL GUY is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: CT
Posts: 5,157
i change up the pattern every week
__________________
2005 Chevrolet 2500HD LS 4x4 6.0L
8' Fisher MM Snowplow
6.5' x 14' Big Tex Open Trailer
61'' Scag V-Ride 29 HP Kawi
48" Exmark Lazer Z HP
48'' Bobcat Ransome Mower
21'' Husqvarna Mower
Stihl FS55R Weedwacker
Stihl FS100RX Weedwacker
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl MS180C Chainsaw
Giant Vac Walk Behind Blower
Kawasaki KHT600S Hedge Trimmer
Giant Vac 16HP Leaf Loader
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2009, 10:45 PM
mowingsite mowingsite is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 52
This may be extreme but I alternate mowers too...I have a 61" and a 52". It seems to help to rotate them and change the patterns too.

.
__________________
Web site designer
Wright stander 61"
exmark walkbehind 60"
echo trimmers and blowers
lawnboy 20"
chevy silverado
16' trailer
2 employees
1 wife
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2009, 11:14 PM
topsites topsites is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Richmond Virginia
Posts: 21,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by scagmanjosh View Post
Thanks Brad. Thats what I figured. Its a bit of a bummer because I find mowing the outside in spiral pattern is WAY faster than straight line mowing because of much less time spent turning. I'll just have to get used to it though if I dont want a ******ed looking yard.
I have found it difficult to convince this crowd the pattern you speak
of is one of the most cost and time efficient ways to mow a lawn.

The result is what doesn't appeal to the commercial crowd, but it doesn't change the efficiency factor.
Oh, and that pattern is called the "race track"

The one I do, I call it criss-cross.
Mow back and forth in one direction until it just starts to leave indentations.
Then, change direction.

The change can be either directly perpendicular or some type of diagonal, the result on the very first mow of the direction change looks like this:
(Notes: on one of these I did use two different mowers, on another you can see two changes of direction.)
Attached Images
     

Last edited by topsites; 11-05-2009 at 11:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-05-2009, 11:19 PM
Tmintz5 Tmintz5 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 34
I would agree the "race track" pattern is the fastest because your constantly mowing uncut grass. But if it was me I would just keep alternating.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-06-2009, 10:27 AM
scagmanjosh scagmanjosh is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ville Platte, LA
Posts: 212
Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
I have found it difficult to convince this crowd the pattern you speak
of is one of the most cost and time efficient ways to mow a lawn.

The result is what doesn't appeal to the commercial crowd, but it doesn't change the efficiency factor.
Oh, and that pattern is called the "race track"

The one I do, I call it criss-cross.
Mow back and forth in one direction until it just starts to leave indentations.
Then, change direction.

The change can be either directly perpendicular or some type of diagonal, the result on the very first mow of the direction change looks like this:
(Notes: on one of these I did use two different mowers, on another you can see two changes of direction.)
Thanks Topsites...I dont think anyone can honestly dispute the "racetrack" pattern is by far the fastest way to mow, and I agree with you most commercial guys dont put much stock into it-- probably because 1.) You cant really stripe with that pattern, and 2.) You start running into the same problem I did with deforming the yard if thats all you do.

I refuse to give it up though! I'll probably end up rotating 3 different cuts-

1.) Vertical straight lines
2.) Horizontal straight lines
3.) Racetrack!

BTW FANTASTIC looking stripes-- perpendicular mowing patterns seem to make the most beautiful stripes....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-06-2009, 10:41 AM
lotsagrass's Avatar
lotsagrass lotsagrass is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 607
Related question. What's the key to lining everything up to get nice straight lines when you have several barriers, ups/downs and lengths of lawn you need to go through? Do you just pick a spot and look straight ahead at the end where you want to end up and try to keep it straight that way? Use something at the other end to focus on (tree, etc)?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:35 AM.

Page generated in 0.11003 seconds with 8 queries